IGNORED

Video: Browsing the Internet on a TI-99/4A with Stuart's Browser& TIPI

jonecool

I created a basic TI Website about a little over a week ago (from a TI, the link is wagnerstechtalk.com/ti99/z.htm ). Haven't had time to make a video of Stuart's Browser+TIPI+ until this weekend. Hope you enjoy it:

Edited by jonecool
  • Like 9

Cool, but...... It takes a lot of add on gadgets. Some are not in the budget for simple hobby fun. Mind you I did collect some very expensive items for my TI-Geneve systems, back in the day, but I'm retired now on a fixed income, that doesn't come close to keeping up with inflation. I have managed to add F18A VGA and USB keyboard two a couple of TI consoles, so they share Video and wireless keyboard via a 4 port KVM (VGA/USB/USB). No mouse sharing with support PC, but it does provide replacement files for those that get trashed on CF cards via TI99HDX to 3 NanoPEBs and one CF7A+ sidecar. And like you, I use TI 99 Speech Synthesizers for easy mounting to the TI console. I didn't decide on this technology over that which you are using, as they are all over 10 years old. Yes the F18A & USB were added with in the last 3 years, along with one FR99 and one FG99, but that ends the stretching of my hobby budget, as the rest of my budget is for personal life support. I can no longer fix my hardware problems, as my fingers always do more damage than good. I use to be a good "touch" typist. I'm not going to tell you how long it's taken me to type this message, as I didn't check the clock when I started. Done ranting now, so have a good day.

Bill

Hi Bill, I fully understand. Yes, it does take a bit of an investment to add all this stuff. I've not added it all up, but I'd guesstimate around $3-400 (32k, TIPI, RPi, Cases, FG99, etc.) I don't have the F18A, been wanting one but I found out about AtariAge around Jan. '18 and missed it. I remember my old CorComp 9900 Micro Expansion was ~$450 back in the day, with 2 DSDD external drives. I miss that device, wish I had never sold it. I do have a PEB I bring it out on rare occasions but the TIPI is small enough that I can pack all my main TI stuff into a tub when I'm done (I have limited desk space in the office). I also have the nanoPEB but mostly just use the TIPI for everything. However, the nanoPEB is an outstanding option too.

If you were interested, you could do the same with what you have already. Just add the TIPI PEB card (assuming you still have the original PEB)+RPi and you have pretty much everything else already. That would save you about $150 over what I show in the video and could be added incrementally as your budget permits. You would only need the TIPI board (~$95) and RPi (~$40), at least that is my understanding - someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Just a thought if it helps. It is just a hobby and I look at it that way but I also like to tinker and being able to use the Pi to bridge the internet with the TI is/was intriguing enough for me. We're fortunate that the TI has so many options available. The best one is the one that gives us the most enjoyment and is within our hobby budget.

Cool, but...... It takes a lot of add on gadgets. Some are not in the budget for simple hobby fun. Mind you I did collect some very expensive items for my TI-Geneve systems, back in the day, but I'm retired now on a fixed income, that doesn't come close to keeping up with inflation. I have managed to add F18A VGA and USB keyboard two a couple of TI consoles, so they share Video and wireless keyboard via a 4 port KVM (VGA/USB/USB). No mouse sharing with support PC, but it does provide replacement files for those that get trashed on CF cards via TI99HDX to 3 NanoPEBs and one CF7A+ sidecar. And like you, I use TI 99 Speech Synthesizers for easy mounting to the TI console. I didn't decide on this technology over that which you are using, as they are all over 10 years old. Yes the F18A & USB were added with in the last 3 years, along with one FR99 and one FG99, but that ends the stretching of my hobby budget, as the rest of my budget is for personal life support. I can no longer fix my hardware problems, as my fingers always do more damage than good. I use to be a good "touch" typist. I'm not going to tell you how long it's taken me to type this message, as I didn't check the clock when I started. Done ranting now, so have a good day.

Bill

Edited by jonecool

If you were interested, you could do the same with what you have already. Just add the TIPI PEB card (assuming you still have the original PEB)+RPi and you have pretty much everything else already. That would save you about $150 over what I show in the video and could be added incrementally as your budget permits. You would only need the TIPI board (~$95) and RPi (~$40), at least that is my understanding - someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Just a thought if it helps. It is just a hobby and I look at it that way but I also like to tinker and being able to use the Pi to bridge the internet with the TI is/was intriguing enough for me. We're fortunate that the TI has so many options available. The best one is the one that gives us the most enjoyment and is within our hobby budget.

Actually if someone is getting the 'wife treatment' or on a serious budget, every dollar can count. Yes, about $95.00 for the TIPI P-Box card, but there is the shipping expense of about $10.00 I believe. The TIPI requires it's own power supply, so that can also end up adding an additional $10.00 and we must not forget the required SD card for 'around' $8.00. Added to the average cost of an RPi with shipping of 'around' $40.00 the overall expense is about $163-$165.

The TIPI really is hard to beat in the BANG-FOR-THE-BUCK-RATIO when you think about it. Besides the massive storage capacity that would cost a lot more using conventional methods, it also gets one online without multiple items which all add up like RS-232 card, requiring additional cables and connectors, UDS-10 or another gadget to act as a modem and the individual shipping on those individual items.

The TIPI also has mouse capability now, and who knows what else in the future.. but on top of all of that, it's new, so there is less chance for failure and it's currently and actively supported.

• Like 1