IGNORED

Final GROM99 won’t work if speech expansion is connected ?

Mika73

May be worth mentioning that with a speech synth between the console and 32k ram, the 32k needs its own power, as the speech synth does not pass it through. The FG99 and 32k without speech can manage without a separate power source.

I have had similar corrupted screens to that shown

at http://atariage.com/forums/topic/289705-final-grom99-wont-work-if-speech-expansion-is-connected/?do=findComment&comment=4248384

and it seems to be due to mechanical module seating problems - the console module seating was never intended to have a module pressed on from the top, and no matter how carefully I press those switches my FG99 module seating becomes tenuous, especially leading to GROM errors, but also the screen corruption as shown above. I am considering taking the FG99 out of the module case so that I can seat it more deeply into the console!

(This thread seems to be duplicated? Clean up?)

Edited by blackbox

Final GROM did work without speech yesterday.

But today can’t get multicarts work anymore and speech is cracking with parsec cart.

I don’t know what’s wrong. Can it be bad PSU or power board inside machine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand it’s ok modify speech synth feed power for 32k. It’s modified with jump wire.

There is a lot in the FG99 (and the multicart) and if the console power supply is having to meet all the demand there may not be enough power to go round, which could cause the fairly random effects you describe.

If you have problems with no 32k connected, and just speech plus parsec, that suggests a problem with the module socket. The module actually plugs into a socket which in turn plugs into a second socket at right angles and both sets of connections have to be good. The internal socket needs the console to be taken apart. There was also often a rubbery "cleaner" the module pushed through to get to its socket which was supposed to clean the module contacts but ended up spreading dirt on them- most of these clip on parts were removed.

So much opportunity for poor contacts...

https://www.jedimatt42.com/ti32kmem.html

If I try external PSU with 32k sidecar memorycard. What are PSU spec? 5V ? Is + at center or side? What’s polarity?

I have the correct supplys at arcadeshopper.com but i will check polarity its 5v at 500ma required. i sell a 1a one..