IGNORED

5200 OE HSC Challenge 04/19 Popeye

zylon

Our game this month is Popeye. Play on defaults using real 5200 systems and Atari Mfg controls. Only modern exceptions allowed are flashcarts and SD loaders running original ROMs. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

Round ends when month does. :)

*Use of 3rd party period correct sticks allowed this round with one HSC point finish penalty. Honor system*

We'll try this idea and maybe it'll stick :P

Current HSC record: Bust it for a bonus point!

Popeye -
Northcoastgamer 273,680
Final scores:
60,400 MrTrust +11
38,170 DamonicFury +10
11,600 zylon +9
9,030 RangerG +8
8,600 eegt97 +7
Current standings:
DamonicFury - 31
zylon - 29
RangerG - 23
Cafeman - 10
MrTrust - 9
IICCEEMMAANN - 9
eegt97 - 9
atari-dna - 8
jetset - 7
peedenmark7 - 6

Popeye.BIN

Edited by zylon

This is one game which does not work with my CX52 sticks.I cannot get Popeye to move up stairs, usually. It must have a smaller window programmed for readable stick values than most games. I can play Popeye with Masterplay just fine, or with Wico , but the same problem happens with all 3 of my Cx52 sticks. Does anyone else have control issues with Popeye?

• Like 1

This is one game which does not work with my CX52 sticks.I cannot get Popeye to move up stairs, usually. It must have a smaller window programmed for readable stick values than most games. I can play Popeye with Masterplay just fine, or with Wico , but the same problem happens with all 3 of my Cx52 sticks. Does anyone else have control issues with Popeye?

Works fine with both of mine. Perhaps your inner console dial needs tweaking. :ponder:

That's not to say I'm good at it though, lol

Edited by zylon

I did mess with it, the internal POKEY control. But comparing the results across multiple games, I ended up leaving it where it was. I bet something is messed up about this particular 5200. But it seemed weird that Popeye was the one game that was super sensitive and gave me control problems.

I did mess with it, the internal POKEY control. But comparing the results across multiple games, I ended up leaving it where it was. I bet something is messed up about this particular 5200. But it seemed weird that Popeye was the one game that was super sensitive and gave me control problems.

It's not that weird, Popeye is known to be a particular PITA when it comes to 5200 controllers. :-(

I'm having issues with my 5200 as well, thus I haven't been playing. On most games, stuff just moves right. It isn't the controllers but something internally. I'm, just a gamer so I'm not sure. I would like to get into some Popeye and some of the regular season games.

I'm having issues with my 5200 as well, thus I haven't been playing. On most games, stuff just moves right. It isn't the controllers but something internally. I'm, just a gamer so I'm not sure. I would like to get into some Popeye and some of the regular season games.

I'd suggest opening the console and calibrating it. They can and do drift sometimes. Center the cursor on either Missile Command or Super Breakout with the pot pointed out in pic. I've been using the same 4-port for just over 20yrs now and have adjusted it periodically. :)

post-25215-0-21731400-1554924596_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There must be more to this? I can't go diagonally down on Popeye. I tried with both of my perfectly working stock controllers. They don't drift and I tested them with Missle Command, but I am stuck on level one and two because I can't go down. It isn't the controlles and it isn't the game (it happens on both the stock cart and the rom on the flashcart). Hmmm.

I found a work-around. If I play two-player, the joystick works as player 2. I don't know what this means the issue it, but it works.

Means the multiplexer IC behind port 1 may be failing. If you have a 4 port, swap it with the one from either ports 3 or 4. Mine had issues with a couple games a few seasons ago.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

Works fine on mine, but I'll throw a concession out there. Use the 3rd party sticks and I'll deduct 1pt from final HSC points this round. Ex- winning gets 11, but winning using Wico, etc gets 10. :)

post-25215-0-62082300-1555032549_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Both of my controllers work with Popeye. For what it is worth, I checked them with the PAM SALT rom. One comes up very ideal, with good values in both vertical and horizontal (1-2 on lower end, 227-overrange on the higher). On the second one, left only gets down to 12, but it still works with Popeye. I switched slots on the 5200 and the values in my case follow the controllers.

Anyway, will post a score, 8600

post-8282-0-73679200-1555243404.jpg

I'd suggest opening the console and calibrating it. They can and do drift sometimes. Center the cursor on either Missile Command or Super Breakout with the pot pointed out in pic. I've been using the same 4-port for just over 20yrs now and have adjusted it periodically. :)

Thanks Zylon I'll see what happens..............

• 2 weeks later...

MrTrust snags the month of April. :thumbsup: :cool: A thanks to those who played along and our next month's game is already up. :)

Final scores:
60,400 MrTrust +11
38,170 DamonicFury +10
11,600 zylon +9
9,030 RangerG +8
8,600 eegt97 +7