IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 12 Round 6 - Vanguard

DamonicFury

Welcome to round six of this 5200 HSC season! Vanguard won the poll with a single vote. Don't use any continues, but feel free to use the rapid fire option if you like. Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

The current HSC record for Vanguard was set by trbb - 188,880 points. Bust it if you can for a bonus point!

A link to the ROM and manual can be found here:

https://atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareID=2112

Round ends Sunday, April 14th, 2019 @9pm EST

Standings:

Nuclear Pacman - 232,970 - Record Breaker!

eegt97 - 115,450

Cafeman - 97,630

bemis - 28,350

Mangia-Boy - 20,490

roadrunner - 6,800

jblenkle - 6,350

Abel M'Vada - 6,070

post-3519-0-17188400-1554160278.jpg

This is an awesome version of Vanguard. The 2600 game was one of the very first games I had, and I loved that version. This one blows it away in every aspect. This is the kind of game that really makes the 5200 shine. Also, as old as Vanguard is, it's closer to what defined the modern 'shmup' than Galaga.

Feels good to play again. I'm scorned for missing out on Koffi and also to add insult, people were granted extra leaderboard points for an easter egg.

Vanguard1.JPG

Feels good to play again. I'm scorned for missing out on Koffi and also to add insult, people were granted extra leaderboard points for an easter egg.

Ill try to ease up on the rarities and homebrews as selections a bit, but people do like them once in a while as shown by the votes. I do hope you can either acquire a multicart or set up an emulator at some point in the future... would love to see you able to play along each week!

Ill try to ease up on the rarities and homebrews as selections a bit, but people do like them once in a while as shown by the votes. I do hope you can either acquire a multicart or set up an emulator at some point in the future... would love to see you able to play along each week!

Actually I was going to ask for more homebrews (including 8-bit conversions and reproductions), I have quite a bit, but not everything.

@ 5200 HSC Mod,

i see you have a new username.

How will this affect the all time records thread,

what name you want listed?

Current name for new records and leave the old ones the way they are?

Sure, that will be fine. :-)

post-3519-0-90399300-1554661100.jpg

If I could offer some tips: There is a sweet spot in the Rainbow (diagonal) Zones, so you can just concentrate on up/down motion. Align your ship up between the first digit of score (which is always a Zero), and your ship counter. It's certainly not a 'safe' spot, but it eliminates a whole axis of movement. Also, always take the lower route in the Stripe Zone, way way more points.

Don't forget you can ride the snake things in the Bleak Zone, up to 3 times. Though, there's really only one of them that is ever in position to be a 'safe' ride. If you get to the 2nd loop Bleak Zone, the little enemies that come at you in swarms will shoot at you, but they only shoot towards the left. That's all I'll say about that ;)

• Like 1

My biggest problem is the erratically moving enemies of Styx zone, and the shooting arrows in Bleak Zone. The power up Energized music and Rainbow Zone carnival music drives me nuts. This game should have fewer Rainbow Zones, it is simple to survive but annoying to keep firing up/down constantly sitting below the extra ships icon. The game is well programmed, but not quite refined enough in gameplay, I'm done playing 5200 Vanguard for a long time.

• Like 1

33370. I agree about the Rainbow Zones, they are easy enough and simply a chore. I can give up a lot of lives in a row on the Styx zone, I've started hanging way back to the left and that helps a little, but still not good at it yet.

post-8282-0-82504700-1554679913.jpg

• Like 1