IGNORED

Spy Visits SPY BBS being resurrected on Forem ST

OK Atari NetUSBEE users out there:

I am resurrecting the Atari ST BBS in Canada called Spy Visits SPY BBS, it will run from a Mega ST 4, with a NetUSBEE device and an Ultra Satan device with for now 8 GIgs being dedicated to Atari ST files and Atari Portfolio Files like I had way back in the good ole days! We will have working door games, message bases, etc, all being run from Forem ST, on Telnet.

I am at present setting it up , I will attempt to rewrite Forem ST 2.20 to allow use of a NetUSBEE cart, I do have a decompiler written in English and I understand assembly language enough to make some changes in the program and recompile it. I am not sure but I think that the source may be availale anyways but I got the program from Tosek.

When I get Peter's new and improved TOS 1.04i roms I will be putting them in my machine then I may be able to get a full 256 GIGS on my Ultra Satan. (I have 3 128 GIG Micro SD cards ro dedicate to this project).

• Like 3

I think this is going to be way harder than it has to be... way harder than just using a wifi modem.

It would be great if it worked, but having looked at both methods recently for an online game project.... I don't think it will be an easy patch.

Hope I'm wrong though.

PC BBS idea is dead ..... going strictly with Atari Mega ST4 BBS using Forum ST, but I got it to load from the hard disk and I still have intialization problems, someone said there were virttual com ports available ? I am interested

I think this is going to be way harder than it has to be... way harder than just using a wifi modem.

It would be great if it worked, but having looked at both methods recently for an online game project.... I don't think it will be an easy patch.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Tillek: Have you heard of a virtual modem port idea for Atari ST? I will use google to look it up but it is doable.... Russ

Tillek: Have you heard of a virtual modem port idea for Atari ST? I will use google to look it up but it is doable.... Russ

Honestly, no... I've never heard of a virtual com port idea for the ST... In fact, I'd actually be pretty interested in something like that and have been looking myself.

That said.... Lantronix boxes, WiFiModems, TCPSer..... There are a lot of solutions that aren't expensive and probably easier to implement, which is why I haven't worried about it so much... but if you ever do find something about a virtual com port, I'd be happy to hear about it.

• Like 1

Now it makes sense.... We were talking about two different things.

When I refer to a WiFi Modem, I'm referring to one of these.....

http://biosrhythm.com/?page_id=1453

No , I use a NetUSBEE with an ethernet cable connected to my router , it is promising as for transfers to the PC it is lightning fast as I have a 16 Mhz ICD Adspeed booster, and an Ultra Satan with a super fast microSD card, dare I say that I have transferred 2 Gigs of material in under 5 mins....

Unfortunately, as good as the NetUSBEE may be, it won't do you much good trying to run a BBS where the software is looking to talk to a modem. I don't recall ever seeing anything like a virtual com port for the ST line.

I only know of one BBS package that might have run off regular internet (and I'm not even 100% sure it did) and that was Octopus. From what little I recall, I don't even think it was finished.

• 2 weeks later...

It is version 1 and I have made it complete by adding what is necessary to it, but I would have to recreate the disks, I do have the two MSA FILES but posting them is pointless , I am going to have to recreate what it is looking for when you run it, I can do that tonight and post the full package once I have it running properly on my Mega ST4. Give me about 2 hours to recreate a working copy of it................ Thanks ... Russ

PS: Since this is a subscriber forum, I can give out my direct email address anyone who really wants to get ahold of me for more info of what you have to do to get it running either email me or I don't mind anyone calling me on Whats APP , I do have Whats APP it is more secure and i will be up both preparing a sermon for tomorrow night and will be working on the BBS program, I knew what exactly it was missing and if you PM me I will give you my Whats APP number, its free for me as I use wifi only. Russ....

Talk about being busy but I don't mind answering your questions as I had version 1 of BBST working properly.