IGNORED

Sega Genesis Mini Announced!

999galaxyB

The only way to match that for a more compact size still and games would be about a $300 investment into an everdrive and a mega sg from analogue.

I have a RetroUSB AVS + NES PowerPak + FC Everdrive N8.

Super NT + Super Everdrive 2.0 with DSP1b chip installed. And yeah I got the FX and SA-1 games I want.

Mega SG + Everdrive MD. And yeah I got that one Virtua Racing game with the special chip.

I got jumbo sized 18x8x4 inch plywood arcade controllers for NES/SNES. I'll probably throw together a Genesis box as well.

I also own an NES Classic Mini, SNES Classic Mini, and the collectard in me is saying buy the Mini Genesis even though I have little use for it. Will the presentation be as nice as the Nintendo Minis? Time will tell...

Atgames can DIAF for all I care. :roll:

• Like 1

I've had a feeling to buy the PS Classic and Sega(not out yet) but so far my mind is resisting both. I just don't see utility in the stock unit for either on my needs, the Nintendo's at least I'll fire up now and again despite the other stuff I have as they're convenient even un-hacked. The ATgames 2018 Genesis falls into this lazy space as nothing of me is required other than a SD card and a few moments of time to update the firmware to go nuts with it. That's really it, easy and lazy for maximum potential use, otherwise I would not care. It helps that it supports the 8bit library too which I care more for than the Genesis itself which is kind of sad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

10 more games have been announced, as well as confirmation that Retro-Bit's officially licensed USB Genesis controllers are compatible (Including an upcoming 6 button model without shoulder buttons, as well as their Saturn pads). An aftermarket Retro-Bit controller is obviously going to be all but necessary for one of these games.

• Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Beyond Oasis
  • Ghouls 'N Ghosts
  • Golden Axe
  • Mega Man: The Wily Wars
  • Phantasy Star IV
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
  • Vectorman
  • Wonder Boy in Monster World

The last 10 will be announced on June 4th. Pretty solid lineup so far of Japanese 3rd party releases and I'm happy to see Capcom now on board. Toss in Mercs, Outrun 2019 (A realistic possibility with it already confirmed for Asia), Outrun (Probably not likely), a couple of good 3rd party vertical shooters, 2 or 3 big Electronic Arts games like Desert Strike, and some remaining highlights of the 1st party library like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and it would be tough lineup to beat. I fear the western publishers will be ignored though, which will be a disappointment for North American and European gamers.

Some sentimental favorites of mine that stand absolutely no chance of inclusion would be the amazing Roadblasters port that the Genesis received and Domark's Formula One.

Edited by Atariboy

Some sentimental favorites of mine that stand absolutely no chance of inclusion would be the amazing Roadblasters port that the Genesis received.

Speaking of amazing Genesis ports done by Tengen, Paperboy and Rampart both come to my mind as well!

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO

I've never played it, but have heard a lot of good things lately about Gauntlet IV that Tengen published on the Genesis. M2 actually developed it, so maybe it's on their radar along with 1 or 2 others.

Were a few misses in the Tengen library on the Genesis, but overall they were one of my favorite 3rd party publishers on the platform.

Edited by Atariboy

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a feeling to buy the PS Classic and Sega(not out yet) but so far my mind is resisting both. I just don't see utility in the stock unit for either on my needs, the Nintendo's at least I'll fire up now and again despite the other stuff I have as they're convenient even un-hacked. The ATgames 2018 Genesis falls into this lazy space as nothing of me is required other than a SD card and a few moments of time to update the firmware to go nuts with it. That's really it, easy and lazy for maximum potential use, otherwise I would not care. It helps that it supports the 8bit library too which I care more for than the Genesis itself which is kind of sad.

are you saying atgames 2018 can play master system games? If so how well?

I don't know about the 2018 Genesis branded system, but the Legends Flashback with the same guts and emulator can play Master System games (And Game Gear). And it also plays SG-1000 games, although I think I changed the extension on those to .SMS to get them working.

Edited by Atariboy

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know anything about it, but if forum postings are to be believed, apparently M2 has Mega Man: The Wily Wars running on this via an emulated Sega TeraDrive configuration (A combination Mega Drive/IBM PC that the Japanese market received). So it's supposed to run here with less slowdown and possibly some other advantages compared to straight Mega Drive/Genesis hardware.

I'm curious if there's actually anything to all of this. Sites like this one seem to suggest there's no such thing as Sega TeraDrive enhanced Mega Drive cartridges.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 8:28 AM, save2600 said:

Kudos to Sega, as this is one of the better game lineups I've seen out of a Mini system w/ very few fillers.

I think the game selection is great as well although some of the regional exclusions seem odd. e.g. For what seems like no reason, we don't get MUSHA or Revenge of Shinobi. What's up with that?? US and Japan don't get Alien Soldier which I guess could make sense but still kind of sucks since it's 2019 and so why bother keeping regional exclusives exclusive for titles like that. And then again, Japan doesn't get Sonic 1. It's just kind of weird decisions on some titles.  

image1.thumb.jpg.d020f5a7ca9d52e95d8fe5b3471008a6.jpg

On 6/26/2019 at 7:50 PM, SegaSnatcher said:

The selection is fine, but I think the decision to include 3 button controllers for US release was kinda dumb.  

It's shame for US and Europe version. Japanese got 6 buttons...So i will continue play with my original MD

Some of the excuses I've read from translated interviews for why certain games got passed over are odd, too. Like Outrun supposedly was excluded since it's so close to the arcade version that's available on the Switch and 3DS. Not only is it quite far from arcade perfection (And many don't own a 3DS or Switch), but they still included games here like Sonic 1 that are on every device of the past 20 years pretty much.

Or that they wanted to include Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II, but that it was impossible to locate the right group to license a dead racecar driver's name and likeness from. I guess M2/Sega doesn't realize that the Senna brand is huge and that it doesn't take much detective work on the internet to find out who controls it (And plenty of companies, including videogame publishers/developers like Codemasters, manage to find it). Plus, I don't know about Japan, but it was Super Monaco GP 1 without the driver licensing that was huge in North America and Europe, not the lesser known sequel.

They end up just sounding like weak excuses, much like the one that the developers of Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection tried to push for why the combined Sonic 3 & Knuckles game wasn't present. It wasn't because they were selling both games digitally with the combined game unlocking if you owned both. Rather, they claimed they'd have to cut a half dozen games if they had decided to undertake the development to get lock-on technology working.

lol

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2