IGNORED

Sega Mark 3, anyone?

I don't have the original hardware, but you could go the way of the MiSTer or the Mega SG. Both of these options are great for playing Mark III games on HD televisions. I would say at this time the MiSTer slightly beats out the Mega SG as the core has the option to display all 64 sprites on screen with minimal to no flicker. Hopefully the Mega SG will get that in a firmware upgrade.

We've had one with the FM module for a while. We used to use it a lot with an SMS converter, but ever since we went RGB we rarely use it. The RGB output is too dim to use out of the box. Even the composite is dim compared to the Western SMS. I thought about making a cable with the RGB amp built-in, but haven't gotten around to it. I use Everdrives to recreate the experience for the most part now, though my brother still has a great collection of original SMS and Mark III games.

The composite output if my Mark III Master System seemed fine before I got a medicore s-video mod. I couldn't get a signal using an RGB to co ponent converter, but my only one for years is finicky.

I had someone upgrade/redo the s-video mod and boost the RGB and both now look like perfect emulation with nice vibrant color.

It's definitely worth the investment if you want to pkay with FM sound, as every recording I've heard from substitute FM boards installed in SMS consoles and misc FM devices all sounded off compared to my Mark III MS and a Gam*Boy I had with FM sound.

Thanks all for the comments. So is it standard to be able to hook it up to the tv Via the red,white, yellow av cable?

Yes, I believe that the AV cable cimes packed wuth it if you buy one complete or CIB. If you don't get one, it's the same as a model 1 Genesis/Mega Drive/SMS AV cable. Most third party substitutes sold online are poor quality and produce a dirty image. Try to get an original AV cable or a midi DIN to RCA cable.

I'll check mine later but I'm pretty sure it came with an RF output in the box, not composite. But yes, it being the same connector as the Genesis sounds right and I'm pretty sure that's the cable I used to hook it up last I did so. (I only have a few games for mine and never got around to really doing more with it.)

I'll check mine later but I'm pretty sure it came with an RF output in the box, not composite.

You're right, the Japanese SMS came with an external RF modulator as opposed to an AV cable. Mine came with it when I bought it 12 years ago, but it was trashed so I wound up tossing it unfortunately.

We [who is "we" BTW?] used to use it a lot with an SMS converter, but ever since we went RGB we rarely use it. The RGB output is too dim to use out of the box. Even the composite is dim compared to the Western SMS.

The Mark III's RGB output has no amplifier and comes straight out of the VDP so that's why it's so dim. I fixed this issue on mine by installing an internal RGB amp and it seems to work well. Of course, in order to use the FM Unit with an RGB mod, you'll have to modify the FM Unit as well. It's not too difficult of a mod to perform, it involves swapping the 5-pin DIN with an 8-pin DIN (the U-shaped 262° one, not the more common C-shape 270° connector), swapping the original piggyback cable with an 8-pin cable, and then wiring up the RGB signals to the new DIN jack from the new cable so the RGB signals are passed through. It looks seamless and there's no case mods involved whatsoever. It's simple enough that you could revert back to stock if you wanted to.

But TBH you're better off using the Japanese SMS since it has all that and more. It's even compatible with the Light Phaser whereas the Mark III is totally incompatible with it.

The light phaser support is on a game by game basis. Wanted won't even play on a JP SMS becuase it doesn't work when it detects FM. It will play on a US Genesis with region switch mod in JP mode with the light phaser. If I remember correctly, Missile Defense 3D, Rescue Mission, and Safari Hunt won't detect the gun on a JP SMS, but Gangster Town and Rambo III will.

Edited by BrianC

You're right, the Japanese SMS came with an external RF modulator as opposed to an AV cable. Mine came with it when I bought it 12 years ago, but it was trashed so I wound up tossing it unfortunately.

The Mark III's RGB output has no amplifier and comes straight out of the VDP so that's why it's so dim. I fixed this issue on mine by installing an internal RGB amp and it seems to work well. Of course, in order to use the FM Unit with an RGB mod, you'll have to modify the FM Unit as well. It's not too difficult of a mod to perform, it involves swapping the 5-pin DIN with an 8-pin DIN (the U-shaped 262° one, not the more common C-shape 270° connector), swapping the original piggyback cable with an 8-pin cable, and then wiring up the RGB signals to the new DIN jack from the new cable so the RGB signals are passed through. It looks seamless and there's no case mods involved whatsoever. It's simple enough that you could revert back to stock if you wanted to.

But TBH you're better off using the Japanese SMS since it has all that and more. It's even compatible with the Light Phaser whereas the Mark III is totally incompatible with it.

You don't need to mod the FM unit. You can connect the RGB cable to the system and a standard AV cable to the FM unit for sound. Works fine.