IGNORED

Announcing the Super Game Controller for the ColecoVision

opcode

Anyway to round the front corners or it too late?

If you hold a NES you will see that it has many problems, but the front corners aren’t one of them, even though they are blocky. The reason is because we are larger than a controller, so our arms and hands form a sort of triangle shape when holding the controller, and the palm of our hands are never pressing against the front corners. And there is a design reason for that front as well when you take into account Omni. But of course comfort is more important, so as I said, we will have a couple of months to try it, we will gather feedback and we will adjust as necessary. For now I am just giving Ted free rein to do whatever he wants design wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should we have received any kind of email acknowledgement after signing up? I haven't.

Thanks

Not yet. I am waiting more substantial news next week and then will contact everybody.

My biggest concern is the stick/D-pad. The controllers I've tried that use a nub/extension on a D-pad setup have all felt pretty terrible to use in my opinion.

The ability to swap it with a conventional D-pad might be worth consideration.

The shrouds around the buttons and stick-pad worry me a little as well. Depending on the amount of travel that the buttons have (or if a conventional d-pad option is offered), the edge of those shrouds might dig into ones thumb, or present an opportunity for binding.

I'm keeping an eye on this though. I was considering the prospect of building a custom stick with an easily switchable 8-way/4-way gate, but I'd probably be happy with a nice pad option.

My biggest concern is the stick/D-pad. The controllers I've tried that use a nub/extension on a D-pad setup have all felt pretty terrible to use in my opinion.

The ability to swap it with a conventional D-pad might be worth consideration.

The shrouds around the buttons and stick-pad worry me a little as well. Depending on the amount of travel that the buttons have (or if a conventional d-pad option is offered), the edge of those shrouds might dig into ones thumb, or present an opportunity for binding.

I'm keeping an eye on this though. I was considering the prospect of building a custom stick with an easily switchable 8-way/4-way gate, but I'd probably be happy with a nice pad option.

As I said, we will have a couple of prototyping months soon, so we will know what works and what doesn’t work. And we will surely fix what doesn’t work.

As for the D-pad, I would say that we can consider that for sure, assuming that we get feedback on that, even if it is divisive.

If you hold a NES you will see that it has many problems, but the front corners aren’t one of them, even though they are blocky. The reason is because we are larger than a controller, so our arms and hands form a sort of triangle shape when holding the controller, and the palm of our hands are never pressing against the front corners. And there is a design reason for that front as well when you take into account Omni. But of course comfort is more important, so as I said, we will have a couple of months to try it, we will gather feedback and we will adjust as necessary. For now I am just giving Ted free rein to do whatever he wants design wise.

Actually the front square corners is what I hate about the NES controller, hence I use the Hudson joycard NES controllers as they are more rounded, like the PC Engine :)

If you want to explore rapid fire solution using a CV port this app note might be helpful. One CV adapter/joystick being sold on AA uses this type of power harvesting. I think they had mixed results, but they were looking to power much more than a rapid fire circuit.

https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3468

• Like 1

UPDATE: I got the final CAD files from Ted yesterday, and will get a 3D printed sample next week.

The reason for the delay is that Ted decided to increase the controller size a bit to make it more comfortable to adult hands. The controller is now about 5.75” wide.

We are also starting the quotation process.

More news soon.

22e366f7f224b385f22168ce0b785515.jpg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now that CollectorVision has released their Phoenix console, there is definitely a market for a new controller....the original CV controller is a dog.

Phoenix.jpg

I have 6 original CV controllers... only one works 100% and I don't feel like repairing the others right now. ?

Since the Phoenix has an SNES controller port, I ordered one of the Super Famicom NTT controllers in the meantime... (lots of extra buttons but no overlays)

NTT.jpg

Seeya

Joe

Edited by a2dconverter
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, a2dconverter said:
The Race is ON... CollectorVision is looking for an AutoCAD Engineer to design their new Phoenix console controller....

Collectorvision AutoCAD posting

That is how it works in this hobby. You get excuses for unpaid licenses, you cancel and postpone stuff so you don’t clash with other parties interests, and yet they are free to do whatever they want whenever they want. There is a destructive
While I feel tempted to sink to the same level, people here deserve better.

• 3 weeks later...