IGNORED

Best place to buy atari 2600 games?

JBJ1973

buy 'em where you can find 'em

starting out, Ebay "lots" are good , figure in the shipping + total price divided by amount to see if your getting a fair price per unit

record shops, pawn shops, comic book stores, flea markets "collectables" stores are good places. if their prices are fixed per game and seem kinda high, look for the more "rare titles" at the fixed price.

If you think you want to be a "completioninst" start small , maybe one manufacturer at a time , is a decent way to make chunks out of the 400+ commercial titles

allow some rough boxes, usually the cart & manual is still in really nice shape and can always "upgrade"

enjoy the journey

• Like 1

Any retro gaming stores or pawn shops in your city? A quick google search would help. If you want them looking like new but don't care it's necessarily the original packaging, a cheaper way is to buy ratty, cheap carts, remove the old labels with goo gone and elbow grease, clean the cart with isopropyl alcohol. You can purchase repro labels from pboland on atariage. Also buy universal game cases, available online and print off box art for those on thecoverproject.net. It's a lot of work but rewarding and gives you brand new looking games with boxes.

Maybe you have a list of games you absolutely need, or perhaps try to choose a publisher to concentrate on? Like maybe Activision, or Parker Bros, etc. This allows you to get your collection going vs just shotgunning money at random carts here and there. Buy it now on eBay is best if you really want something. I had getting sniped or getting outbid at last moment on something I really want.

I feel that the best way to relive the Atari in 2019 is via the Atari Flashback 9, because it has an SD card slot and works on modern HDMI televisions.

I suppose there's a certain kind of appeal to collecting boxes, but wow that gets expensive fast and takes up a lot of space.

$45 for Atari Flashback 9 and $1 SD card and you can have all the thousands of Atari 2600 games ever made (except only 3 recent home brews that require Stella 5).. all in HDMI!

Life is good!

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 2

LOL $1 SD card is right, because every 2600 game in the universe still only amounts to a few megabytes.

Many GameStops have lots of $1 or $2 SD cards now. I picked up 5 of them a month or so ago specifically for my raspberry pi robot, atari flashback and whatever else I may have or get that needs a small SD card.

https://www.gamestop.com/accessories/wii-dsi-memory-sd-10gb/74305

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 1