IGNORED

Anyone else enjoying Colecovision on the Mega Sg?

SegaSnatcher

I've been looking for a HDTV friendly way of playing Coleco games for awhile now and I finally have it.

The Nt Mini was a bit out of my price range, but I was always jealous of those who got to play Colecovision in 1080p glory, but now with the Mega Sg via JB firmware there is an amazing 1080p solution for Colecovision at a great price of $189.99. I was looking at many other alternatives which even included original hardware and external upscalers, but I'm glad I waited. This saved me a lot of money.

I know it might be blasphemy for some of you Coleco aficionados here, but I have no problems playing Coleco games with my M30 2.4ghz controller. Having a wireless solution is so convienent for me, but I totally understand why you'd prefer using the original controller with its keypad which unfortunately is not compatible with Mega Sg.

Coleco games looks absolutely amazing on my 60" 1080p Plasma and there is no lag at all, what else could you want?

Right now I'm enjoying King's Valley from Team PixelBoy. What a great game.

Thanks for fast reply.

I guess I'll need to buy a ColecoVision controler to play.

At a worst case, I can make new Colecovision games using only with 2 buttons.

Read OP, OG Coleco controllers are not compatible unfortunately. I recommend either a wired 6 button official Genesis controller or the M30 2.4ghz by 8bitdo.

Here is the JB manual to see how the Keypad is configured on a 6 button controller.

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Mega-Sg-Jailbreak/blob/master/Mega%20Sg%20Unofficial%20Jailbreak%20Supplement%20JBv7.3.pdf

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 1

The Phoenix will still be awesome and come with a bunch of roms. I don't think people realize the MISTer has been around awhile now with Colecovision (including SGM) and many other cores. It is an awesome value and the FPGA is much more powerful than the Mega SG for future cores. The Mega SG is awesome of course still but the MISTer is improving daily also.

Edited by eebuckeye

The Phoenix will still be awesome and come with a bunch of roms. I don't think people realize the MISTer has been around awhile now with Colecovision (including SGM) and many other cores. It is an awesome value and the FPGA is much more powerful than the Mega SG for future cores. The Mega ST is awesome of course still but the MISTer is improving daily also.

Wait till we start adding our very own cores ;)

• Like 3

I'm still enjoying playing my CV games through my Byte Knight flashback. Works great, no lag and tons of controller options. @eebuckeye Is the MISTer still available for purchase?

Yep.. I do not want to derail the thread but you can go here for information and see which cores are available (game systems, arcade cores, computer cores): https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

There is also a Facebook group that gets updated usually multiple times a day. You buy the base FPGA unit ( http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=167&No=1046)and the typically buy a USB hub for keyboard and joystick, and SDRAM adapter to make sure you can use every core. Very easy to setup though and very exciting to follow!

• Like 1

The Phoenix will still be awesome and come with a bunch of roms. I don't think people realize the MISTer has been around awhile now with Colecovision (including SGM) and many other cores. It is an awesome value and the FPGA is much more powerful than the Mega SG for future cores. The Mega SG is awesome of course still but the MISTer is improving daily also.

Mega SG might sell more than Phoenix and Omni together.

Neither Phoenix and Omni can play Genesis/Mega Drive games.

• Like 1

Colecovision and Genesis are popular consoles people knows the best.

Players might not have an idea what SGM1, Omni (SGM2) and Phoenix (modes) are.

I beg ColecoVision fans to not support this. Support the Phoenix and the licensed SGM, so we can keep supporting the ColecoVision community back with new games and hardware.

The only drawback with Mega SG is, it does not support Colecovision controller.

Unless somebody releases a controller for this system.

Colecovision and Genesis are popular consoles people knows the best.

Players might not have an idea what SGM1, Omni (SGM2) and Phoenix (modes) are.

The only drawback with Mega SG is, it does not support Colecovision controller.

Unless somebody releases a controller for this system.

That is what I mean, just don't support this CV core. It has a very suspicious origin and can only damage ongoing projects from people that have been truly supporting the ColecoVision community for years. If you want to play CV cartridges, get a Phoenix. It has a licensed SGM.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

That is what I mean, just don't support this CV core. It has a very suspicious origin and can only damage ongoing projects from people that have been truly supporting the ColecoVision community for years. If you want to play CV cartridges, get a Phoenix. It has a licensed SGM.

100% agreed!

Support THOSE who SUPPORT the ColecoVision Homebrew Community

• Like 4

I beg ColecoVision fans to not support this. Support the Phoenix and the licensed SGM, so we can keep supporting the ColecoVision community back with new games and hardware.

No offense but what is there to license? Isn't SGM just extra ram and off the shelf audio chip?

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 1

No offense but was is there to license? Isn't SGM just extra ram and off the shelf audio chip?

That is one way to look at this. The other way is that someone had to come up with that so it could exist in the first place. And a certain mutual respect between members of this community regarding those efforts, something that some outsiders may not understand (or appreciate).

• Like 3

That is one way to look at this. The other way is that someone had to come up with that so it could exist in the first place. And a certain mutual respect between members of this community regarding those efforts, something that some outsiders may not understand (or appreciate).

You mean like how Konami made those MSX games and you ported them to Colecovision without a license?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure your ports weren't officially licensed, so isn't that like the Pot calling the Kettle Black?

Edited by SegaSnatcher
  • Like 2