IGNORED

New Card to allow Speech Synth to go Into P-Box

My last TI had a CorComp TripleTech, allowing as one facet of the "triple tech" my speech synth to be moved inside the PEB. I've just built up a new system, and man, that flex cable and speech synth did not want to connect as cleanly as my old setup. More than that, it just sticks out a long ways. Not quite as bad as the daisy chain of old one-off boxes from TI that could span 6-8' of table real estate, but more than I prefer and easily knocked loose. Besides the now non-available CorComp card (don't even see any on eBay) and the Rave99 card that allowed the same, I don't know of another option. With all of the cool work being done, whether the newer version of Super AMS or JediMatts TIPI-PEB (waiting on my order excitedly!), I would think someone could give us a new option for moving our speech synth into the P-Box. I would happily buy one, or even help crowdfund one within the TI community.

Thoughts?

• Like 2

My last TI had a CorComp TripleTech, allowing as one facet of the "triple tech" my speech synth to be moved inside the PEB. I've just built up a new system, and man, that flex cable and speech synth did not want to connect as cleanly as my old setup. More than that, it just sticks out a long ways. Not quite as bad as the daisy chain of old one-off boxes from TI that could span 6-8' of table real estate, but more than I prefer and easily knocked loose. Besides the now non-available CorComp card (don't even see any on eBay) and the Rave99 card that allowed the same, I don't know of another option. With all of the cool work being done, whether the newer version of Super AMS or JediMatts TIPI-PEB (waiting on my order excitedly!), I would think someone could give us a new option for moving our speech synth into the P-Box. I would happily buy one, or even help crowdfund one within the TI community.

Thoughts?

I think I have a Rave99 adapter that is no longer in use, as my only PEB system is dedicated as a SNUG TI-99/4P' meaning it has a SNUG SPVMC, so no TI Speech Synthesizer needed.

I think I have a Rave99 adapter that is no longer in use, as my only PEB system is dedicated as a SNUG TI-99/4P' meaning it has a SNUG SPVMC, so no TI Speech Synthesizer needed.

I had emailed the two emails on https://www.s-n-u-g.de/spvmc/index_en.phpabout the SPVMC - Speech and Voice Memory Card, but one email came back rejected, and haven't heard a reply on the other. I was curious about that option and if it emulated stock speech synth for s/w comparability, but then just had the expanded options via DSR switching/selection. Also whether it could work alone, or only with their SGCPU card. But as I got no reply back, even though the website makes it sound like it's still available, not sure if I can get my hands on one.

But if you're interested in parting w/ a working Rave99 adapter (that worked on TI or Geneve, right?) I'd be interested in buying that off you.

• Like 1

I had emailed the two emails on https://www.s-n-u-g.de/spvmc/index_en.phpabout the SPVMC - Speech and Voice Memory Card, but one email came back rejected, and haven't heard a reply on the other. I was curious about that option and if it emulated stock speech synth for s/w comparability, but then just had the expanded options via DSR switching/selection. Also whether it could work alone, or only with their SGCPU card. But as I got no reply back, even though the website makes it sound like it's still available, not sure if I can get my hands on one.

But if you're interested in parting w/ a working Rave99 adapter (that worked on TI or Geneve, right?) I'd be interested in buying that off you.

I'll search for it, but it has been out of a PEB for some time now. The SPVMC has 4 or 5 different voices and expanded vocabulary, also supports text to speech. I'm not sure about modifying one for a conventional TI PEB system, but maybe easy to do on a Geneve PEB system. Give me some time (a few days or so) for the Rave99 search.

I'll search for it, but it has been out of a PEB for some time now. The SPVMC has 4 or 5 different voices and expanded vocabulary, also supports text to speech. I'm not sure about modifying one for a conventional TI PEB system, but maybe easy to do on a Geneve PEB system. Give me some time (a few days or so) for the Rave99 search.

From he description here (https://www.s-n-u-g.de/spvmc/index_en.php) I was thinking the SNUG SPVMC card worked with original console or SGCPU card SNUG did. Are you using the latter? Didn't think it needed P-Box mods but I'm much less familiar w/ all the SNUG stuff. I would've actually been interested in the SPVMC card if it could play as default speech synth with programmatic extensions, but no luck on response from two emails here: https://www.s-n-u-g.de/impress/index_en.php. Pending that, the Rave99 card would fit the bill if you can find and test yours. Thx for checking!

From he description here (https://www.s-n-u-g.de/spvmc/index_en.php) I was thinking the SNUG SPVMC card worked with original console or SGCPU card SNUG did. Are you using the latter? Didn't think it needed P-Box mods but I'm much less familiar w/ all the SNUG stuff. I would've actually been interested in the SPVMC card if it could play as default speech synth with programmatic extensions, but no luck on response from two emails here: https://www.s-n-u-g.de/impress/index_en.php. Pending that, the Rave99 card would fit the bill if you can find and test yours. Thx for checking!

Wilco. Over and out.

• Like 1

Try this email (Harald Glaab) for SNUG:

kontakt_2746@s-n-u-g.de

I'll check how many SPVMC cards I have left unsold and post here later. If Harald can accept payment for the card then I will ship one. Buyer will owe me insured shipping cost. FYI, SPVMC require a slight modification for use with the Geneve.

• Like 1

For your P-Box cable issue, I went with << HELLO CABLES >> the one they sell will allow you to have the cable twist under your TI and go out the back so you can hide the "fire hose".

This is what my system looks like... gallery_35324_1027_3524.jpg ... see ma, no cable showing!

When it comes to the getting your speech in the P-Box, I feel your pain! I've been down that road and it wasn't pretty. A couple of years ago one guy was working on a speech in the box card, but as he neared completion, he pretty much vanished from the scene. There has been talk once or twice, about making a new one, but if anything has happened, I'm not currently aware of it.

Good luck on getting a Triple Tech card, obtaining one is a worthy, if not frustrating endeavor . I'm lucky enough to be the proud owner of one formerly owned by The Great Gazoo and will cherish that card until the day I pass on myself.

• Like 1

The SPVMC works great--and is a much improved version of the Berlin PEB speech synthesizer card (IIRC, Winfried Winkler only made 22 of those, so you are not likely to ever find one). I actually provided him a copy of the TI Text-to-Speech disk to use in the development, as it was pretty much unknown at that time in Germany.

• Like 2

The additional vocabulary was extracted from speech cartridges for the Speak and Spell, Speak and Read, and Speak and Math toys, mostly by Michael Becker, but also by Winfried Winkler. The text-to-speech capability came from directly incorporating the TI Text-to-Speech routines into the DSR. . .

• Like 1

For your P-Box cable issue, I went with << HELLO CABLES >> the one they sell will allow you to have the cable twist under your TI and go out the back so you can hide the "fire hose".

This is what my system looks like... gallery_35324_1027_3524.jpg ... see ma, no cable showing!

When it comes to the getting your speech in the P-Box, I feel your pain! I've been down that road and it wasn't pretty. A couple of years ago one guy was working on a speech in the box card, but as he neared completion, he pretty much vanished from the scene. There has been talk once or twice, about making a new one, but if anything has happened, I'm not currently aware of it.

Good luck on getting a Triple Tech card, obtaining one is a worthy, if not frustrating endeavor . I'm lucky enough to be the proud owner of one formerly owned by The Great Gazoo and will cherish that card until the day I pass on myself.

Any issues w/ noise / interference since that extension cable is unshielded?

The additional vocabulary was extracted from speech cartridges for the Speak and Spell, Speak and Read, and Speak and Math toys, mostly by Michael Becker, but also by Winfried Winkler. The text-to-speech capability came from directly incorporating the TI Text-to-Speech routines into the DSR. . .

I have missed the hacker’s spirit in my years away. Love it! Supposedly TI built ss w flip lid originally anticipating putting the speak and spell extensions in there

How would it compare to CC TripleTech vs Rave99 vs the SNUG one?

It basically works like a RAVE99 card, just allows the speech to be placed in the PEB.

It would be nice to be able to integrate a RTC circuit within the card and allow it to be compatible with the RTC commands from a Triple Tech or other cards. But I have not looked into that piece yet.

• Like 1

$15 bucks...not bad...ordered one of those cables.

• Like 1

On a related note...years back I had a program on disk that was an amazing feat of speech. It was Ernie and Bert having a convo, and they got the voices nailed almost to a tee. Anyone have that program still?

Actually I do, and I don't. Years ago I used to have the Extended BASIC version that took forever to load and run, but now I have it "BUILT-IN" to my Extended BASIC 2.7s cartridge and it starts QUICK. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you out though.

Actually I do, and I don't. Years ago I used to have the Extended BASIC version that took forever to load and run, but now I have it "BUILT-IN" to my Extended BASIC 2.7s cartridge and it starts QUICK. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you out though.

I just picked up FinalGROM99 and loaded it up w/ the dump at the wht ftp site. I noticed it only went thru XB2.6. Is there a FG99 .bin for XB7 or does XB7 truly require its own cart for some reason?