IGNORED

Computer Shopper magazine

Allan

Here is PART of the Atari 8-bit and ST October, 1988 issue of Computer Shopper magazine.

I did not put this up on Archive.org because it is incomplete. For those that think rot (as in bit-rot) can't happen to paper, here is proof that they are wrong. I do not like moths. Please archive your Atari disks, cassettes as well as your magazines, manuals, boxes, etc. before the disappear.

Computer_Shopper_October_1988_Vol_8_Num_10_Atari_Articles.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys, 
I would be interested in have some good scans for the TI99 pages too, I have some page scanned but very bad resolution :(
Maybe can someone help please?

For example December 1986, January and February 1987 but also all the others if possible please.
many thanks for who could help. :)
Ciao from Italy.

Okay, I downloaded the pdfs what I could find on archive.org. I've started to type in the ones from 1985.

I find that OCR'ing the magazines do not work. so no cut and paste. scans of the code segment only at higher resolutions may fix that.

The auto proof program can be a PITA because the checksum codes are, at times, unrecognizable.

I've had a few time where simple lines were not accepted. '40 END', for example.

I've started to type them in on the Perfect disk. I'll move them to a Computer Shopper WIP diskette ATR.

Anyone else working on these?

FujiMan

24 minutes ago, Fuji-Man said:

Okay, I downloaded the pdfs what I could find on archive.org. I've started to type in the ones from 1985.

I find that OCR'ing the magazines do not work. so no cut and paste. scans of the code segment only at higher resolutions may fix that.

It never works. TRUST ME!! I have tried many times over the years. Maybe someday they will have a OCR program good enough.

26 minutes ago, Fuji-Man said:

I've started to type them in on the Perfect disk. I'll move them to a Computer Shopper WIP diskette ATR.

Anyone else working on these?

Please don't redo all the work @Atari_Ace has done. There are plenty of issues with programs that haven't been done including a few I haven't scanned yet due to lack of time. I will try to get to them ASAP.

https://ksquiggle.neocities.org/columns/ata.htm#ata8501

12 minutes ago, Allan said:

Please don't redo all the work @Atari_Ace has done. There are plenty of issues with programs that haven't been done including a few I haven't scanned yet due to lack of time. I will try to get to them ASAP.

https://ksquiggle.neocities.org/columns/ata.htm#ata8501

Ugh. okay. The ones from Atari Ace will be easy to put on disk.

21 hours ago, Fuji-Man said:

Here is the disks that contain the data for Atari Ace's great work so far. I only found about 2 errors in his work!

The files are in the same order as his web page.

Please send me any errors you spot. I validate the code against the "Program Perfect" codes if they are there, but that checksum is fairly weak, and not all the code has checksums.

I generally start from the OCR's and clean them up.  The OCRs of the listings are generally terrible, but the article text OCR are usually pretty good.  I find the work relaxing, and don't mind the time spent doing them.

I remember this one, but there is one before it...

Under "Using Mailing List II" - "Part II" - Line #1285

1285 PRINT #5;SP$(1,5):ID2$(SP$(12);:IF Q THEN PRINT #5;SP$(1,HS+5);ID$;

Should be:

1285 PRINT #5;SP$(1,5);ID2$(SP$(12);:IF Q THEN PRINT #5;SP$(1,HS+5);ID$;

• Like 1

Program Perfect in April 85

30190 GOSUB 30310:POKE N85,N39:POKE N84,Y+N2:PRINT CHR$(28):CHR$(29);:GOTO 30110 
30200 POSITION N39,10: ? " ":POSITION N39,11:? " ":POSITION N39.12:? " " 
30220 POSITION N2,10:PRINT CHR$(156):LN$(5,LEN(LN$)):PRINT :PRINT :PRINT CHR$(157);"CONT"

Change to:

30190 GOSUB 30310:POKE N85,N39:POKE N84,Y+N2:PRINT CHR$(28);CHR$(29);:GOTO 30110 
30200 POSITION N39,10: ? " ":POSITION N39,11:? " ":POSITION N39,12:? " " 
30220 POSITION N2,10:PRINT CHR$(156);LN$(5,LEN(LN$)):PRINT :PRINT :PRINT CHR$(157);"CONT" 
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fuji-Man said:

Under "Using Mailing List II" - "Part II" - Line #1285

2 hours ago, Fuji-Man said:

Program Perfect in April 85

Thanks for these, I've updated the listings.  As I expected, it was in code without checksums.  Colon/semicolon and period/comma errors, I should have guessed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there a source for 1985 -1988 magazines where all the Ads have been scanned as well?  (I realize this is asking for all 400 pages to be scanned, in many instances)

I'm looking for a few "Computer Parts Galore" ads, which were a maker of cloned Apple II cards.

1 hour ago, ralphw said:

Is there a source for 1985 -1988 magazines where all the Ads have been scanned as well?  (I realize this is asking for all 400 pages to be scanned, in many instances)

I'm looking for a few "Computer Parts Galore" ads, which were a maker of cloned Apple II cards.

No. I just did the Atari articles and I have never seen any other scans anywhere. It's a huge undertaking to scan sometimes over six hundred pages. I can take a look, time permitting, to see if I can find any of those ads.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is another issue. The last issue in fact. Not the last issue I will scan nor the last issue of Computer Shopper magazine, but the last issue of Computer Shopper that had Atari 8-bit coverage. Sadly there are no program listings. There is a multi-page description to 8-bit programs released in 1989. Some are still not archived in any way sadly.

https://archive.org/details/computer-shopper-dec-89-vol-9-no-11-atari-articles

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...