IGNORED

Computer Shopper magazine

Allan

Still haven't had a chance to try the Program Perfect but I will. Just wanted to add here that I got two more issues of Computer Shopper. Dec. 87 and March 1988. It looks like in between these two issues Atari 8-bit coverage was dropped. I will scan the December 1987 issue at some point.

Allan

In ZMagazine's Z*Net, vol. 1, No. 9 (included in the November 1989 JACG Newsletter, and other user group newsletters), the following Newswire item appeared:

Computer Shopper Magazine will end its long support for the 8-bit Atari and other older computer lines with its December 1989 issue. New editor Bob Lindstrom is an Atari ST owner himself, and appreciates the power of the small computer as well, but has had no advertisers that seem to be concerned over the older units. The dropping of the "classic computers" is part of a refocusing of Computer Shopper, a 700 page monthly magazine that still will carry ST material, often with 5 or more articles per month. IBM and MAC will be the main direction now, with some additional Atari ST, Amiga, and Apple II coverage. These last three are in danger of also being dropped if sales and interest remain sluggish. The point seems to be, if it doesn't sell ads, they don't need the circulation that the small computers might satisfy.

So perhaps coverage continued on and off throughout 1988 and 1989.

I've extended to April 1986 the Applying the Atari columns from Computer Shopper at http://ksquiggle.neocities.org/columns/ata.htm.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I had only purchased one copy of Computer Shopper back in the day and I remember typing in the Response Analysis Program from the September 1985 issue.  It was an Eliza-like therapy simulation, and was good for a laugh.  (My juvenile mind figuring out how to trigger the "same to you, buster!" response)

Now thanks to the work of @Allan and @Atari_Ace I have been able to experience it again.

I've attached an ATR with the program if anyone is interested.

Computer_Shopper_Sept_1985-RAP.atr

• Like 4

On 12/9/2020 at 4:08 PM, AeroDD said:

I had only purchased one copy of Computer Shopper back in the day and I remember typing in the Response Analysis Program from the September 1985 issue.  It was an Eliza-like therapy simulation, and was good for a laugh.  (My juvenile mind figuring out how to trigger the "same to you, buster!" response)

Now thanks to the work of @Allan and @Atari_Ace I have been able to experience it again.

Computer_Shopper_Sept_1985-RAP.atr 90.02 kB · 5 downloads

Thanks for typing this in. Eventually I'd like to type all the Atari 8-bit Computer Shopper magazine programs in and put them on one ATR disk image.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2020 at 4:08 PM, AeroDD said:

Computer_Shopper_Sept_1985-RAP.atr 90.02 kB · 11 downloads

On 12/10/2020 at 7:46 PM, Allan said:

Thanks for typing this in. Eventually I'd like to type all the Atari 8-bit Computer Shopper magazine programs in and put them on one ATR disk image.

Thank you, this is a goal I'd love to see accomplished.

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2019 at 7:27 PM, Allan said:

I started scanning in the Atari articles in Computer Shopper magazine with my new 17 x 11 scanner. Here's the first issue.

https://archive.org/details/ComputerShopperNov85Vol5No11AtariArticles

Each issue had a number of 8-bit program listings. Anybody want to type them in? It would be great to eventually see them all on a couple of ATR disk images.

Allan

Was just looking through these. I recall writing a review of Spectrum 512 for Computer Shopper...my only piece for them (I mostly wrote for ST-Log), but for the life of me I can't remember what issue is was in! Probably some time in 1988.

22 hours ago, Big_Mo said:

Was just looking through these. I recall writing a review of Spectrum 512 for Computer Shopper...my only piece for them (I mostly wrote for ST-Log), but for the life of me I can't remember what issue is was in! Probably some time in 1988.

@Big_Mo 

The Computer Shopper issues came today. Non of them have your review in them. Some day we will find it and archive it. I got January, February, April and August of '88. So at least you know it was not in one of those issues.

• 2 months later...
On 4/15/2021 at 5:30 PM, Allan said:

@Big_Mo 

The Computer Shopper issues came today. Non of them have your review in them. Some day we will find it and archive it. I got January, February, April and August of '88. So at least you know it was not in one of those issues.

Yeah, it would probably have been in 1988 since I remember Andy Eddy and I did the interview at the Atari Fair in Worcester, Mass October 1987.

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2021 at 6:24 AM, Larry said:

I sent in to buy one of his CS program disks.  But I don't remember much else.  I'll look for it.

I know it's been a while but just curious if you had a chance to look for this?

Now that I am done with posting the Dal-Ace newsletters I have started scanning the Atari 8-bit and ST articles in the Computer Shopper issues I have.  I just uploaded the November, 1987 issue. I uploaded the February and April, 1988 issues in the past couple of days. I have January and August here to scan plus I have the July 1987 issue on it's way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The last of the Computer Shopper Atari articles that I have are scanned.

https://archive.org/details/computer-shopper-january-1988-vol-8-num-1-atari-articles

https://archive.org/details/computer-shopper-july-1987-vol-7-num-7-atari-articles/mode/2up

If anybody knows of anyone with 83' to '89 Computer Shopper issues, please let me know.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...