IGNORED

Yet, another ColecoVision Vaporware

retroillucid

7 hours ago, Loafer said:

Yes but it doesn’t have the same reputation as a quality game (that’s not saying it isn’t a quality game just it’s not as known)

i am certain you guys have done a great job with it, looks to be a polished conversion and great addition to the colecovision/Phoenix library 

Yeah, I understand your point
Challenger is not as much popular as Vanguard, that's a fact 
Although, I do think Challenger is kind of special as there's nothing like it on ColecoVision  :)

• Like 1

It says Vanguard is available on backorder, which makes sense since it won't be shipping until the end of October.  I noticed that Side Trak is also listed as being available on backorder but are there plans to actually produce more copies of that one?  I was going to try to purchase it with my last order but held off.

4 minutes ago, Psionic said:

It says Vanguard is available on backorder, which makes sense since it won't be shipping until the end of October.  I noticed that Side Trak is also listed as being available on backorder but are there plans to actually produce more copies of that one?  I was going to try to purchase it with my last order but held off.

Titles on backorder usually don't take too much time to receive 

7 hours ago, retroillucid said:

Vanguard 2nd Batch Pre-Order is now live

https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/vanguard/

This game looks great. I wish I would have thought of this long ago, if it isn't part of the game, but I was playing Vanguard on my PC while waiting for a copy with my SNES to PC controller and realized the buttons are in the same arrangement as the original fire buttons for the arcade. It would be great to have that with the SNES controller on the Phoenix. If it isn't part of your game now, it would be great to incorporate it into the rom with the Collectorvision Club in a couple years.

Holy crap when I saw Challenger I thought this was a Space Shuttle port.  I didn't know it was the arcade game.
It looks great.
In all 100% honesty I played this when it first came out at a 7 eleven on NW 119th street in Miami.
I even remember what I did that day.

That's how much I loved the game.

Edited by Mike Harris

On 7/26/2019 at 11:22 PM, Kiwi said:

This game uses 1 controllers.  Moving the controller pad will move your ship in all direction.  The fire 1 button fires your forward laser.  To fire your upper, lower, or back laser, hold a direction and press fire 1.  Fire 2 button will shoot laser from both guns on top and bottom of your ship.  You can use the keypad 2,4,6,8 to fire your laser in specific direction while being stationary.  You're limited to fire 3 lasers on screen.   You can pause your game by pressing the zero key.  

I was looking for some clarification on the control scheme for Vanguard as I was approached about making a "proper" arcade-style controller for Vanguard.  Please note I've never played the actual game, so my limited knowledge of it comes from the internet.

From what Kiwi said in the post quoted above, I understand the control scheme to work thusly:

Joystick moves ship in any of 8 directions

Left Button fires laser forward

Joystick direction (up, down, or left) + Left Button fires laser in those directions (does ship also move in this direction when firing, or does firing laser take precedence over movement in this instance?)

Right Button fires laser up and down simultaneously

Keypad buttons should work as follows 2 - fire laser up, 4 fire laser left, 6 fire laser right, 8 fire laser down **while being stationary** 

So does this mean the 4 keypad alternate/directional laser fire buttons, cannot/will not work when you are manipulating the joystick for ship movement or is this a misunderstanding on my part, and its just stating that you can use these 4 keypad buttons to fire, if you don't want your ship to move, which would happen if you used the joystick?

Additionally does this mean you cannot move your ship say upwards with the joystick, while firing backwards (if you were using the left fire button), because to move up you would have to press the joystick up, which means you could not also be pressing it left (plus the left fire button) to fire backwards?

Again please excuse my ignorance, as like I said I'm just not familiar with the game.  Looking up info on Vanguard at KLOV it says the game had an 8-way joystick for ship movement, and 4 directional fire buttons, so I am assuming in the game they were all independent, meaning you could move in any of 8 directions, and fire in any of 4 directions at any time regardless of each other.  

Any info or clarification from the CollectorVision team would be appreciated.  Thanks.