IGNORED

FB to USB adaptor?

Bamse

So, ive got one of these db9 adaptors from this website

https://www.retronicdesign.com/en/

to see if I can use it to play intellivision games on the go through my tablet and Retroarch (FreeIntv emulator) with a proper controller. I tried plugging it in my pc first but Windows doesn't recognise it as a controller. Or it does, and thinks its a USB Gamepad. Only seems to recognise when I press right on the disc, which makes it move left :D . All the other controls don't work. I'm guessing because Windows doesn't know how to communicate with it.

Any ideas anyone?

post-65033-0-23417100-1554320748_thumb.jpg

Slight update. Reading though their website I saw you could update the firmware on the adapter itself I assume.

Anyway, I downloaded the firmware installer called HIDBootFlash and the hex file for the FB controller. Updated the firmware which seemed to work. Windows sees it as a 24 button USB Gamepad controller now but I can't calibrator in Windows. Its as if several buttons are being pressed at the same time.

The retronic instructions says to attach an atari compatible joystick and hold the fire button while plugging into usb to install firmware; or you can short pins 6 and 8; or hold the upper side button of an intellivision controller, or hold keypad 6 of an intellivision flashback controller. Then you can go through the procedure to install the intellivision flashback firmware. No calibration required.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Since I updated the firmware windows recognises it as a 24 button controller. It didn't before. The disc hardly works when running a test and the keypad seems to press multiple inputs at the same time.

I'm wondering if they sent me a intellivision 2 adaptor instead of a FB controller adaptor?

BTW, that Retronic "hackfile" posted up-thread is for use with the original controllers. I actually have my Sears controller plugged into a Retronic at the moment.

If you're using the flashback controllers, you'll need to modify the file. I don't happen to know the wiring order for the flashback controllers off the top of my head, but I know nurmix does. :-)

Once you know the wiring order, these are the parts of the file you need to change:

JS0_BTN_16  PD0L_BIT_3
JS0_BTN_17  PD0L_BIT_2
JS0_BTN_18  PD0L_BIT_1
JS0_BTN_19  PD0L_BIT_0
JS0_BTN_20  PD0L_BIT_7
JS0_BTN_21  PD0L_BIT_6
JS0_BTN_22  PD0L_BIT_5
JS0_BTN_23  PD0L_BIT_4

We just need to reorder the bit numbers here for the flashback controllers.

I'd go on a hunt for what the wiring order is, but I'm at work right now.

• Like 1

BTW, that Retronic "hackfile" posted up-thread is for use with the original controllers. I actually have my Sears controller plugged into a Retronic at the moment.

If you're using the flashback controllers, you'll need to modify the file. I don't happen to know the wiring order for the flashback controllers off the top of my head, but I know nurmix does. :-)

Once you know the wiring order, these are the parts of the file you need to change:

JS0_BTN_16  PD0L_BIT_3
JS0_BTN_17  PD0L_BIT_2
JS0_BTN_18  PD0L_BIT_1
JS0_BTN_19  PD0L_BIT_0
JS0_BTN_20  PD0L_BIT_7
JS0_BTN_21  PD0L_BIT_6
JS0_BTN_22  PD0L_BIT_5
JS0_BTN_23  PD0L_BIT_4

We just need to reorder the bit numbers here for the flashback controllers.

I'd go on a hunt for what the wiring order is, but I'm at work right now.

Thanks, that mostly went above my head but I kinda got it.

The hex file I downloaded from their site was designed for the FB controller. It shouldn't need adjusting should it?

Thanks, that mostly went above my head but I kinda got it.

The hex file I downloaded from their site was designed for the FB controller. It shouldn't need adjusting should it?

The reason the controller now reports itself as a "24 button" controller is that the updated firmware reports 8 extra buttons that aren't really buttons. They're the raw bits from the controller. The hackfile for jzIntv connects those 8 raw bits directly to the emulator.

I don't know whether the FB vs. Intv2 version of the firmware reorders those raw bits. I assume it doesn't. You can try using the hackfile as-is and see if it works. If it doesn't, then we need to edit it to understand the FB bit ordering.

The kbdhackfile does not change how the Retronic USB functions with anything else, and should not be applied to any firmware associated with the Retronic. If you need to fix how it works with software other than jzIntv, you need to work w/ Retronic Design t.o get it sorted

The kbdhackfile I provide is just for use with jzIntv. You provide it to jzIntv with the command line flag "--kbdhackfile=/path/to/file". (Replace /path/to/file with the actual pathname of the hackfile.) Don't worry about the word "hack" in "hackfile." Here, it just means I didn't design a nice feature into jzIntv, I hacked something in. The name (and the crappy feature) stuck.

I just tested the v3.1 firmwares. The regular intellivision works but the flashback does not. Looks like it's got all the data bits on/off reversed for some reason. E.g. all data bits are on when nothing is pressed

I tested the v3.0a_mm intellivision flashback firmware and it works correctly.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I just tested the v3.1 firmwares. The regular intellivision works but the flashback does not. Looks like it's got all the data bits on/off reversed for some reason. E.g. all data bits are on when nothing is pressed

I tested the v3.0a_mm intellivision flashback firmware and it works correctly.

Thanks for your efforts, thats really appreciated :)

I just sent them an email asking if I should try this firmware instead of the latest one that I installed.

Is it one of those in this picture you found to work?

If not, have you a link to the hex file I need?

post-65033-0-03726200-1554325990_thumb.jpg

Yes, the v3.0a_mm is what I tested but they both should work. That hackfile should work with both firmwares as well.

Great, I'll try v3.0_mm.hex as that's for the FB controller and if that doesn't work, I'll try v3.0a_mm

So when you installed that firmware, Windows just recognises the FB controller?