IGNORED

FB to USB adaptor?

Bamse

Yes the disc becomes an analog joystick and there's, I think, 24 buttons. The 15 intellvision buttons and some virtual buttons for emulator functions.

Edit:

You might have a hard time configuring intellivision controllers with retroarch. It doesn't support that many buttons. Retroarch/libretro is really designed for nintendo/playstation style controllers.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

It works, well I'll be. Thank you so much.

Windows recognises it as a Flashback controller and all the buttons and the disc work too.

I don't have to USE retroarch per se, I can bypass the front end and just go straight into FreeIntv. Thanks again, you're a star :)

I was able to fix the flashback 3.1 firmware. Both it and the mm version give similar output but they're different internally. And the 3.1 firmware adds the raw data through extra buttons that jzintv supports. Curious if people notice a difference in performance/response.

Strange no one else have reported to the seller that the new firmware doesn't work.

So what does the new firmware actually do that the previous doesn't?

I'm tempted to just leave it now its working.

A real intellivision receives eight data bits from the controller. The 16 disc directions and 15 buttons are represented by different combinations of those eight bits. A USB adapter typically interprets those bits and sends actual joystick direction and buttons for the software to use which an intellivision emulator eventually reduces back to the eight bits. The v3.1 firmware has the ability to send the eight bits directly to jzintv and skip all the interpretations. Use the mm firmware for a while and see how it performs.

Edit:

And the regular intellivision controller v3.1 firmware works fine. It's only the flashback version that needed fixing.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

Thanks. Haven't seen any real problems so far.

Ran the controller test rom and apart from the disc showing a slight up activation when I press the 9 on the keypad, it seems to work great.

I suppose I could try and flash it back if for some reason it doesn't work.

Do you know if Windows will recognise it as a completely different Flashback controller to the one it is now when I flash the firmware to the one you edited?

The momentary disc up when pressing kp9 is a hardware glitch inside the controller and will happen if connected to a real intellivision. It's a mattel design flaw with the flex circuits and can happen with any of the fifteen button.

I think v3.0 and v3.1 are in the usb names so it might make a difference to some game software. That could be corrected if it helps. Jzintv doesn't care about names however.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1