IGNORED

Model 1 or 2?

It works now. The av cable was just a super tight fit. Has to be pushed in all the way. Except when I wiggle the yellow connection the picture flickers. I thought bad or cheap av cable. But on my vcr with 19" crt tv it works no matter how much I wiggle it. And on my vcr in my 4 k tv it distorts if I wigggle it. How odd.

After playing with it for a while I can see no difference in the picture and sound between model 1 vs model 2.

Awesome! With composite output on both I only notice a very slight difference in pixel definition between my Model 1 High-Def VA6 and Model 2 VA4. The pixels look a teeny tiny bit sharper on my Model 1, but the difference is almost imperceptible and only noticable on small text. Other than that they look and sound the same to me too. :)

Edited by Jin

Jin, are you still using that funky stereo mod cable output with your Model 1? I have mine coming in the mail, finally.

Yep, and it's still working great! It's a pretty darn high quality cable as far as composite cables go and the stereo sound is awesome. I think you're going to be really happy with it! :)

You can just use any old stereo 1/8 inch to RCA cable with a model 1 composite cable...

D'oh! Why didn't I think to do that first, lol...just to try it out. Oh well, you live and learn!

Jin, I'll let ya know when it arrives. With shipping and exchange the cable came to around 20 bux CDN, but I've had my eye on it a while now so I knew I'd have to get one eventually.

• 2 months later...

Can't blame you there. It's REALLY hard to distinguish the "OK" model 2's (VA2 and VA2.3) from the bad ones. The only chance you have without disassembly is to open the cart bay and count traces based on the Sega 16 thread. And I've had a VA2.3 and didn't like it. PSG channels were WAY too quiet. I removed a resistor that helped but PSG still sounded a bit too faint to me. 

I sent a VA7 to a reputable modder to get a Triple Bypass, and giving that to a buddy for his birthday. Also got a non-functioning HD Graphics Genesis in great condition so I can swap the top of the case onto it. It's not *REALLY* a High Def Graphics model, but it'll look and sound as good if not better than any of them. :lol: