IGNORED

Connecting Atari 800XL to Internet BBS

annomatik

SIO2IO is coming. Dropcheck is working on it. It includes a printer (parallel) interface, a serial interface and a connector to plug an Esp8266 wifi module or maybe the esp8266 will be included, not sure.

Is there a place to show interest for this so we get notified when it is available?

Amusingly enough, Weather Undeground still has a text-based interface available too. :)

post-30400-0-75938300-1555195976_thumb.jpg

(1088XLD home-built Atari-based machine connected via SIO to a vintage ICD P:R:Connection; PRC connected via vintage CX-87 Terminal RS232C RB9-DB25 cable (+ DB25 gender changer) to a circa-2004 Lantronix MSS100 Ethernet gateway. The Lantronix box emulates a Hayes-compatible modem and allows connection to a home LAN. The serial client - the Atari terminal software - "dials" with ATDT commands to an internet IP address or full-text URL and the Lantronix passes on the connection to the LAN gateway. So the Atari thinks it's talking to a modem for all practical purposes).

• Like 3

So... I now have the 850 (without power supply) and the Wifi Modem (without the serial cable)...

What's missing still is

1) the power supply for the 850 ( bestelec (at) concentric (dot) net ? - haven't received any reply from them ) and

2) the serial cable, I need a 9 pole to 9 pole one -- which one should I get?

Thanks!

You need the cable for the 850 (CX-87 if I recall, the CX-88 is the null modem cable so don't get that)... You can get it at best electronics also or try B&C at www.myatari.com (also on ebay as "myatari" but I just checked and all he has on there right now is the CX-88).

Then you'll need a 25 pin to 9 pin adapter, because I don't think they made the 850 interface cable in a 9-9 (though you could probably wire one up yourself).

Have you tried calling them? They have a phone number at the bottom of the page.

Well... My 850 came with a 9 pole to 25 pole serial cable... Would a "regular" 9 to 9 pole serial cable work? Or would it be preferable to get a 25-to-9 pole adapter? Personally, I'd prefer the "straight" route without adapters, but if the cabling of the 850 serial cable is "special", that won't work of course.

Calling... I'm located in Europe, calling might be pretty expensive, so if there's a different way to get a power supply for the 50, I'd be very interested :-)

Thanks, I'll get a 25-to-9 adapter then.

no, you can only use a gender changer or converter on the 25 pin side of the cable, as was explained the 9 pin side is atari 850/pr/mio specific... the 25 pin side is usually set up for a modem or terminal.... a null modem adaptor can only work on that 25 pin end of the cable...

• Like 1

after deleting v 1.0 and 1.1b and taking an ice pick to the registry to gouge the eyes out.... a quick re install yields success!

so my win 7 is now running sync term 1.1b.... only one bbs in the list now instead of my normal 200...

Thanks for the file

edit, crashes when using the desktop icon, but runs from the start menu....??? !!! oh well, at least I can use it.

Edited by _The Doctor__

no, you can only use a gender changer or converter on the 25 pin side of the cable, as was explained the 9 pin side is atari 850/pr/mio specific... the 25 pin side is usually set up for a modem or terminal.... a null modem adaptor can only work on that 25 pin end of the cable...

That's exactly the plan. The 9-pole part seems to be Atari-custom, the 25-pole part seems to be standard, so I've ordered a 25-to-9 pole converter.

Also, I now have the feedback from best electronics. Unfortunatelly, they don't seem to have a european version of the 850 power supply on stock... Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Q. Hi! I'm looking for an

European Atari 850 supply -- can you help me out? A Sorry to say we

only have New US 110V Atari 850 power supplies instock. Even if we did have

the EURO version 850 Powers supplies in stock.because of the very high cost

of International shipping to Austria and the heavy ship weight of one it

would simply not cost effective for you. Thethe shipping cost only would be

more than the cost of 850 power supplyitself. You are much better off

finding one in the Euro zone, where shippingis about 1/5 to 1/6 the cost of

International shipping.

You can use any 9VAC transformer that puts out ~3 amps or 30 Watts. *IFF* you are never going to use it with something like a disk drive, you could get away with less power. https://www.ebay.com/itm/EI57-25-Double-Group-15W-Output-Voltage-9VAC-Input-220V-50Hz-Power-Transformer/322598348057?hash=item4b1c5c2519:g:x18AAOSwAAVZbEkf is an example of something that would work for you with something like an 850. You just have to connect a power cord and something that works on the Atari side.

I've personally done a lot of weak hacks. Everything from scavenging parts from broken power supplies to using to shopping surplus stores for parts that are close. Everything works.

• Like 2

I bought 2 of these

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01ERJIA42?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Looks like it works with both 110 and 240.

Then I bought one fo these and cut it in half to wire it to the power adapters. Ended up with 2 adapters for a reasonable price.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CQR5L1C/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Todd

• Like 1

You could also just buy a DB9 connector and whatever size you want/need at the other end and just wire up your own. That's not *that* hard, and certainly easier than wiring up, say, a brand new DIN13 connector from scratch (which I did myself a few weeks ago, lol).

Edited by DrVenkman

Ok... So it's 5 V, Negative pole outside, Positive pole inside. I should find something like that. Thanks!

Sorry, that wasn't my point. I cut the barrel connector off and spliced the power supply into the midi cable using a wiring diagram to put the correct pins to the correct side of the power supply output.