IGNORED

Macintosh?

Opry99er

There are some classic Mac users that linger here. If any one has a beef, they can choose to ignore this thread.

And who knows? It might be relevant to the Apple II. And if it doesn't just mention that you own a IIe card to keep the complainers quiet.

• Like 1

Well, I'll likely make a few posts relating to a few interesting Macintosh adventures I've been having recently.... I'm preparing to put all my Apple computers on one desk, and perhaps add one more machine to the fold. My current family is:

Apple IIe Platinum

1MB Macintosh Plus (soon to be a 4 MB) (Running System 6)

Blue & White Macintosh G3 tower (Running OS 9)

Apple eMac (Running OS 9)

My next machine will hopefully be a Mac Performa 6360 or a beige G3 Tower. I've spent considerable time and effort putting together a network between my machines. I'll share some videos later.... just wondering who all here would be even interested in some Classic Mac discussion. No fun talking to one's self.

post-24953-0-02557200-1554561237_thumb.jpeg

post-24953-0-44345700-1554561274_thumb.jpeg

post-24953-0-90512300-1554561319_thumb.jpeg

post-24953-0-67853900-1554561367_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

I grew up playing with Macs over at my Grandmother's house.

She got the Mac 586 enhanced and an ImageWriter when

they first came out.. I felt so spoiled getting to play with it compared

to the Apple IIe and IIc we used at school and home. Best Mac game

I had was Space Ace.. She gave us the 586E after upgrading to the

better models.. We used it so much for school/college it finally died.. :(

Best Apple game: Wings of Fury.

Good mac times,

Dan

Edited by Twin_power
  • Like 1

i own a suped up Mac G3 tower with a 1 Ghz acclerator, 256 Mb Ram, usb 1.1 that I was running Bernie2theRescue on. The partition map got corrupted and unable to get the software off the disk, so is sitting idle right now. The G4 tower @400 Mhz is no where as nice as the G3 with 1 Ghz, so don't use it much.

Saving up for a SCSI to IDE card.to get the G3 back up in running order to get back up using Bernie.

I even had a usb cd-writer that was recognized by Bernie, so I could read cd's but not write. My ultimate goal before I moved on from this earth was to write a driver to be able to write a cd from the Bernie emulator, running either Prodos8 or GSOS. I am starting to fear I won't be able to check that off my list. I didn't even gain enough knowledge to see if this was even possible.

Whoever wrote Bernie2theRescue sure knew their stuff. Shame they didn't have the support to continue on.

Nice! I've got an SE/30 that I'm restoring now. Also have an LC III with IIe card and a Performa 6200CD with Quadra 660 motherboard that I can swap in & out. So I've got the 68030, 68040, and PowerPC covered! I've upgraded them all to solid state HD's (SCSI2HD and IDE to SD adapter).

I post a bunch of Mac project updates in the RetroComputing forum of my BBS, so fire up ZTerm or Telnet on your Mac and head on over!

• Like 1

I've got a few old Macs too! My favorites are probably my SE and IIx; both are rock-solid, fast, and really nice looking (the mid-late '80s Snow White design language is classic).

My next machine will hopefully be a Mac Performa 6360 or a beige G3 Tower.

The Beige G3 is a really nice machine, and I highly recommend it (the desktop model is annoying to work on, but I used to own a tower model and it was great). I have mixed feelings on the 6360 though; it's faster than its 6200 and 6300 predecessors, but like them, it has a really brittle case and working on them is a pain. It seems pretty difficult to find one that isn't missing half the plastic pieces too.

The Beige G3 is a really nice machine, and I highly recommend it (the desktop model is annoying to work on, but I used to own a tower model and it was great).

I was recently given a Beige desktop G3, and so far it works great, but then I've only had it for less than a week. So what exactly makes them a pain? Just curious as to what I'm in for?

I've got a few old Macs too! My favorites are probably my SE and IIx; both are rock-solid, fast, and really nice looking (the mid-late '80s Snow White design language is classic).

Also, I almost completely concur on the SE, except the "fast" part. I have three of them (only one with an accelerator card), the other two (much like my Mac Plus) are painfully slow. Still, they do look great and I love playing with them just the same. :-)

For me, the Macintosh Plus is the iconic symbol of function over form. It is still beautiful to me--and with my recent 4MB upgrade, the speed is greatly improved. :)

The iMac G3 is the other iconic Apple product I loved when it came out... it has not held up quite as well over the years because it was almost form over function--- but both are lovely and both are important pieces in history.

I was recently given a Beige desktop G3, and so far it works great, but then I've only had it for less than a week. So what exactly makes them a pain? Just curious as to what I'm in for?

The G3 Desktop's case (which it shares with the 7x00 series) is notoriously brittle. It's really easy to break little plastic tabs and other parts even if you're really gentle with it. Pretty much any Mac from that time period suffers from the same problem though, although the G3 Minitower seems to be a lot better than the Desktop in that regard.

• 2 years later...

I have never used a Macintosh, but it seems an interesting platform for gaming due to the weird exclusives and the early black and white graphics (as seen in the original version of The Manhole). I also love the cool graphical interface years before PCs used windows by default.

What are your favorite Macintosh exclusive games? I found this video with 20 of them:

From the video, I particularly like Crystal Crazy (simliar to Star Control II, but with direct zoom between the map and combat which looks extremely cool), Pararena (1 vs 1 futuristic sport, black and white game, controls with mouse) and Fazazel's Wand (platformer with cool elements and strategy where you control a wizard).

Edited by IntelliMission