IGNORED

Death Match (Atari 2600)

MemberAtarian

I'm working since February on my new Atari 2600 development tool "PyTari" but I'm sure it will take years to complete, so I decided to do a little game in bB again and take a break.
I created the title screen last night, the game will be called "Death Match" with to reapers fighting for the title of becoming the Grim Reaper, featuring black metal songs. (this one is by Dark Funeral).

2019.04.28.:

Released the very first rom for trial. :)
So, summarizing, what you can do now in the game:
Up jumps, fire attacks and down makes the Reaper duck. While ducking, the Reaper heals himself. Forward + Fire makes the Reaper dash, if you release one of the buttons, he makes an instant attack. Backward + Fire is for shooting. If the other Reaper is jumping, your shot goes in 45 degrees. While jumping, Fire makes you swing you scythe in a circle. While jumping, presssing Down and Fire makes you stomp. If you jumped high enough, your stomp will make people fall from the buildings and shrink the buildings.

There are 8 powerups in the game:
1. Unholy Aura
Gives you an aura that drains the health of the other Reaper and kill people instantly on touch.
2. Shadow
Creates a clone of your Reaper, doubling your chance of damage.
3. Sniper

Your aim gets better, your shoots will follow the Y position of the other Reaper.

4. Mist

Your Reaper will disappear and can only be seen while attacking.

5. The Scale of Justice

It will make you health and kills equal, so the fight is rebooted!

6. The Dark One

A vampire spirit appears, attacking the other Reaper and killing every person in his way.

7. The Mirror

Left and right will be reversed for the other player.

8. Energy Blast

Drains all health of the other Reaper, kills every people on-screen and shrinks the buildings.

TODO: AI for CPU battle, optimizing (it's really hard now, 80% of code is assembly), adding ending screen

2019.05.06.:

You can see how a typical VS against the computer seems like and, it's very hard, but he is beatable!
In this video, you can still see that he goes apeshit if he has to flee against you aura, I added there a delay counter, and also, I corrected that the text sometimes glitches on Get Ready because the P1 sprite is mirrored.
Also you can help me finding bugs. I'm gonna do the 100 matches trial from now, I there won't be any bugs, I assume it's ready to be called completed. :)

2019.06.10.:

Final ROM released. I compressed the assembly as much I could, the only thing that really drains power of CPU is the aura and vampire spirit powerup, they have the same check for damage as the Reaper itself, so twice the "fun". I should write in the manual they are so powerful they eat the colors of this world.

PAL footage on real hardware:

DeathMatch_NTSC_0.27.bas.bin

DeathMatch_NTSC_0.29.bas.bin

DeathMatch_NTSC_0.30.bas.bin

DeathMatch_NTSC_0.40.bas.bin

DeathMatch_PAL60_0.40.bas.bin

Edited by MemberAtarian
  • Like 3

The buildings background doesnt seem to match the theme. What about flames...like a Hell-ish background? Or even stalagmites?

There will be people to kill. They are fighting eachother in a city. Like Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. You can stomp and the buildings shrink, the people watching you in the window will fall and die.

• 2 weeks later...

Released the very first rom for trial. :)
So, summarizing, what you can do now in the game:
Up jumps, fire attacks and down makes the Reaper duck. While ducking, the Reaper heals himself. Forward + Fire makes the Reaper dash, if you release one of the buttons, he makes an instant attack. Backward + Fire is for shooting. If the other Reaper is jumping, your shot goes in 45 degrees. While jumping, Fire makes you swing you scythe in a circle. While jumping, presssing Down and Fire makes you stomp. If you jumped high enough, your stomp will make people fall from the buildings and shrink the buildings.

There are 8 powerups in the game:
1. Unholy Aura
Gives you an aura that drains the health of the other Reaper and kill people instantly on touch.
2. Shadow
Creates a clone of your Reaper, doubling your chance of damage.
3. Sniper

Your aim gets better, your shoots will follow the Y position of the other Reaper.

4. Mist

Your Reaper will disappear and can only be seen while attacking.

5. The Scale of Justice

It will make you health and kills equal, so the fight is rebooted!

6. The Dark One

A vampire spirit appears, attacking the other Reaper and killing every person in his way.

7. The Mirror

Left and right will be reversed for the other player.

8. Energy Blast

Drains all health of the other Reaper, kills every people on-screen and shrinks the buildings.

TODO: AI for CPU battle, optimizing (it's really hard now, 80% of code is assembly), adding ending screen

DeathMatch_NTSC_0.27.bas.bin

• Like 1

You can see how a typical VS against the computer seems like and, it's very hard, but he is beatable!
In this video, you can still see that he goes apeshit if he has to flee against you aura, I added there a delay counter, and also, I corrected that the text sometimes glitches on Get Ready because the P1 sprite is mirrored.
Also you can help me finding bugs. I'm gonna do the 100 matches trial from now, I there won't be any bugs, I assume it's ready to be called completed. :)

DeathMatch_NTSC_0.29.bas.bin

Edited by MemberAtarian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Final ROM released. I compressed the assembly as much I could, the only thing that really drains power of CPU is the aura and vampire spirit powerup, they have the same check for damage as the Reaper itself, so twice the "fun". I should write in the manual they are so powerful they eat the colors of this world.

PAL footage on real hardware:

DeathMatch_NTSC_0.40.bas.bin

DeathMatch_PAL60_0.40.bas.bin

• Like 2