IGNORED

Sega Master System - What's your "One Game?"

Sonic the Hedgehog for me. Blew me away the first time I played it on SMS! At first wasn't too sure it was going to be as good as the Genesis version,but it's a really good version of Sonic everyone should try out.

Edited by lushgirl_80

Phantasy Star is my favorite, I still play it every 5-6 years, I just played/finished the re translation version of it.  Great game..

Back in the day, comparing the NES vs the Master system (I did have both of them), the master system games always looked better but, the NES had bigger titles...

Did you know back in the day, If you had a Master System and got STUCK on a game, you could call them and they would MAIL you a cheat sheet/walk through?  I have a few of them, including Phantasy Star...

Edited by TheCoolDave

1 hour ago, TheCoolDave said:

Phantasy Star is my favorite, I still play it every 5-6 years, I just played/finished the re translation version of it.  Great game..

Back in the day, comparing the NES vs the Master system (I did have both of them), the master system games always looked better but, the NES had bigger titles...

Did you know back in the day, If you had a Master System and got STUCK on a game, you could call them and they would MAIL you a cheat sheet/walk through?  I have a few of them, including Phantasy Star...

I don't have any of the copies any longer (I have scans, but obviously, that's not the same thing), but yeah, I had a thick packet of these. Helped me feel really connected to SEGA. 

• Like 1

Probably either Fantasy Zone or Double Dragon.  I played a ton of those back in the day when my mother's then-boyfriend had a Sega Master System while everyone else had a Nintendo.  I never did finish Double Dragon on the SMS, but the day I conquered Fantasy Zone's final boss was a very happy day.

• Like 1

As I've mentioned before, Phantasy Star isn't just amazing, but so far ahead of anything the NES offered, it's ridiculous.  I mapped every dungeon in the game back in high school, and I still have that pad of graph paper to assist me with my semi-regular playthroughs (Baya Malay tower without a map?  Would you believe I actually used to have the route memorized?).

SMS Space Harrier is my favorite video game of all time.  I've been playing it for years, and I will never get sick of it.  Despite owning the 32X and Saturn ports, which are basically arcade-perfect, the SMS version just keeps me coming back.

I don't think Missile Defense 3D gets enough love.  This is one of the few titles you can point at and say "there is nothing like this on any other system."  At least, not that I know of.  I love light gun games, and even without the 3D gimmick Missile Defense is a great one.  This game makes better use of the 3D glasses than any other game I've played (I still haven't tracked down Outrun 3D yet, so that may be better) and it's just a blast to play every time I dig out all the hardware.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slaanesh said:

"The one game" for any system is a really hard ask. I tend to fluctuate with favorites on most systems I own.

Probably my most played game is "Aleste" or better known as "Power Strike" in the west.

Great shoot'em up! Probably one of my favorites on ANY system... 

Though I only have Super Aleste if I were to get a SMS I would get Power Strike I/II first.

I love the Master System, but just to throw in something different I'll say Shinobi.   Such a great port, it really showed what an 8-bit can do.

I'm going to give an honorable mention to Rescue Mission, which is a great light gun game and quite unique for the time.  The SMS has an amazing light gun library, imho, there's a lot of good stuff.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 4

On 11/24/2019 at 8:53 PM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Though I only have Super Aleste if I were to get a SMS I would get Power Strike I/II first.

I played them for this first time over the weekend. I liked Power Strike II a lot more than the first one. Though the first one had that lovely FM soundtrack. It just suffered a lot of flickering... but I dunno if that was the emulator I used or not. 

R-Type is excellent on SMS, although there's always the TG16 version...

Both Power Strikes are great, but the first one has a more classic feel. You will understand it better if you play the MSX version, which has a nearly identical FM soundtrack. That version is so easy that I 1 CC'ed it the first time I played it.