IGNORED

Stella 6 on the R77: the eagle is landing

DirtyHairy

There is a dumped ROM for this game that does exactly the same thing. And in that case, it is a bad ROM because it was dumped incorrectly. So I'm willing to bet that the dumper is dumping your cart incorrectly, and that's why you're getting this weirdness.

The cart dumper/reader on this device isn't 100% reliable. In a lot of cases it isn't even 50% reliable. For certain classes of carts, it won't work at all.

Ah, ok. Got it. :)

Edited by Agamon

One can always pretend to use cartridges. Just put them in the slot half-way, and run the rom. Fool your own brain into thinking the cartridge is playing.

Who cares if it's fake. Fake is the new thing. And video games are fake virtual worlds to begin with. And even more do, R77 is "fake" because it's emulation and few like emulation to begin with.

• Like 1

One can always pretend to use cartridges. Just put them in the slot half-way, and run the rom. Fool your own brain into thinking the cartridge is playing.

Who cares if it's fake. Fake is the new thing. And video games are fake virtual worlds to begin with. And even more do, R77 is "fake" because it's emulation and few like emulation to begin with.

Should the emulation be as close to the real thing as possible or enhance the original games? How about both?

It looks like there is an initiative with this implementation of the Stella 6 build to enhance classics like Pacman by merging frames by default; I think it would work better if the emulator did that for specific ROM's it could demonstrably improve and then stick to accuracy for other ROM's.

I just compared STARBLITZ (ROM is on the previous page of this thread) running on the Flashback 9 to this build, and I noticed the "fuzz" vanishes from the buildings with the FB9; it looked more like it does on CRT as the game was intended. The falling score numbers were also clearer to read without the light doubling from the merge frames algorithm.

Quick question... I just ordered my OTG cable, now I have to order the controller adapter. Is it confirmed that both 2600daptor and ultimate pc interface work with this? Having trouble finding confirmation on ultimate pc interface, particularly for 2 players. Thanks.

Quick question... I just ordered my OTG cable, now I have to order the controller adapter. Is it confirmed that both 2600daptor and ultimate pc interface work with this? Having trouble finding confirmation on ultimate pc interface, particularly for 2 players. Thanks.

2600daptor does. It's what I'm using with the OTG to get paddles to work. I don't own the other as I have a Visiondaptor, which I use on my Pi for original Colecovision, Intellivision, Ti-99, and Genesis controllers

• Like 1

They are made by the same guy, but sold by different people.

The firmware is very similar, so the odds that since the 2600-dapter works then both would work will be high.

• Like 1

I found that on my R77 the left paddle affects the right paddle (yuck!). So when a game displays two paddles at once, moving the right paddle slightly moves the left paddle too (almost 10% on my console). But I am not sure if that is only my R77 or a general problem. Also I cannot be sure if the effect always the same.

Therefore a quick poll.

1. Do you notice the same on your R77?
  2. How much is the left paddle reacting? (a coarse percentage value should do)

Note: The left paddle is reacting stronger the more it gets turned the left.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

I found that on my R77 the left paddle affects the right paddle (yuck!). So when a game displays two paddles at once, moving the right paddle slightly moves the left paddle too (almost 10% on my console). But I am not sure if that is only my R77 or a general problem. Also I cannot be sure if the effect always the same.

Therefore a quick poll.

1. Do you notice the same on your R77?
  2. How much is the left paddle reacting? (a coarse percentage value should do)

Note: The left paddle is reacting stronger the more it gets turned the left.

Is this with paddles on the front ports, or stelladaptor connected paddles as well?

I just tested with the previous community release(before Stella 6) to have working front port paddles.

With Warlords, I saw about 4 pixels of movement on the 'other' paddle for the full travel of the paddle in use.

Awesome, great update DirtyHairy! No more OTG adapter and keyboard needed to change the options and navigate the menu.

Thank you so much for your continuing work on this emulation console and making it into an extremely usable fun machine!

We have released a new version of the firmware image (6.1-beta2). Please check out the first post for the gory details. Ejoy!

You guys did a lot of great work these last few weeks. I'm impressed.

The new light menu theme is actually readable on my composite connected CRT through an HDMI converter. The other themes are almost readable, but not quite.

Thomas's work on joystick defaults is appreciated. My Wii U Pro controller was usable 'out of the box' as joystick 0 on this release. Remapping via joy 0 is easy to do, and works well.

A front port 7800 joystick was auto detected as paddles. I don't know if there's a way around this when using auto detection?

---

Although navigating the menus via joystick works, the current functionality is a bit unintuitive and currently *seems* inconsistent, though I understand why.

When presented with a vertical list of check box, button, or misc type options, left/right navigates up and down through them, and up/down adjusts a slider left and right. On the other hand, within a selected text list(such as the games list, or 'keymap' listing,) up/down works as expected, and(of course) left/right selects between buttons and listing, excepting Pgup/Pgdn 'accelerator' via left and right in the the games listing.

It almost seems like it would make more sense to swap the axis for the misc and button based option screens even though that creates an apparent logical inconsistency with the control function of left/right in other menus. Maybe it's just me?

Edited by fluxit
  • Like 1

A front port 7800 joystick was auto detected as paddles. I don't know if there's a way around this when using auto detection?

Which auto-detection do you mean?

For the games, the controller is detected by using the ROM only. The attached controller doesn't play a role. You can overwrite this per game in the settings.

It almost seems like it would make more sense to swap the axis for the misc and button based option screens even though that creates an apparent logical inconsistency with the control function of left/right in other menus. Maybe it's just me?

All dialogs are equal. :) We cannot switch navigation easily per dialog. I hope you get used to it.

Alternatively you can try using the advanced settings and remap the events. Maybe you find a better organization for you.

• Like 1

Which auto-detection do you mean?

For the games, the controller is detected by using the ROM only. The attached controller doesn't play a role. You can overwrite this per game in the settings.

All dialogs are equal. :) We cannot switch navigation easily per dialog. I hope you get used to it.

Alternatively you can try using the advanced settings and remap the events. Maybe you find a better organization for you.

Oops, sorry. It's been too long for my screwy brain-based memory. I conflated a few different things- the 2600-daptor D9's controller autodetection, the fact that you can easily have both paddles and a joystick on 'the same' port with the R77, and as you say, Stella's gamecode based controller type detection. Never mind.

I understand about the dialogs, and I'm used to such things, though as I said, it does definitely feel wrong.

Edited by fluxit

I understand about the dialogs, and I'm used to such things, though as I said, it does definitely feel wrong.

Have you tried to change switch mappings?

Then, when you are in a listbox (e.g. Launcher, Input/Event mapping) or an open dropdown, you would have to press left/right to move up/down. That wouldn't feel right too, would it?

Here are the dialogs added in beta 2:

1. The Commands dialog allows you to quickly change setting with a joystick. This is most useful if your joystick has multiple buttons and you can open the dialog with it. Where appropriate, the dialog displays the current settings. Finally you can open the settings dialog from here.
  2. The Basic settings dialog allows quick access to all commonly used settings. You can switch to the Advanced settings, which usually should not be necessary. Be careful when changing advanced settings (especially audio and TimeMachine).
  3. The RetroN 77 Help dialog lists the special R77 default joystick and console button mappings. Most mappings can be changes using the advanced settings. A grey label indicates that you need a multi-button joystick for the extra buttons. I designed the defaults for my SNES like USB game pad.

post-45-0-57710400-1557683367.png

post-45-0-10290800-1557683375.png

post-45-0-49905300-1557683383.png

• Like 3