IGNORED

Stella 6 on the R77: the eagle is landing

DirtyHairy

I might be using the wrong term, I’m trying to avoid whatever video filters that makes the sprites look all double stamped/blurry? I imagine a lot of us purchased an HDMI VCS for a reason, as a cheaper and more convenient alternative to an expensive crisp RGB modded console. Scanlines I can understand, but I don’t want to simulate RF or a bad TV. I think Atari 2600 looks best on a Newer 480i Flat Tube CRT with S-Video or RGB.

39 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The current released firmware has no options interface which is accessible via joystick (this will follow with the next one). But via OTG cable you can attach a USB keyboard. And then you can access all dialogs of Stella.

I’m gaming with physical carts via the dumper so I don’t get any menu options from pressing the buttons on the back of the unit. On the next release will we be able to save settings so that it can default to Phosphor on “0” Each time we turn the console on?

Edited by Mr. Postman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Postman said:

I’m gaming with physical carts via the dumper so I don’t get any menu options from pressing the buttons on the back of the unit. On the next release will we be able to save settings so that it can default to Phosphor on “0” Each time we turn the console on?

The reason they are on is likely that they improve performance of popular game carts like Pacman with less flickery ghosts by merging frames.

I think the filters should be off by default as many classics and some of Hyperkin's bundled titles that require more accurate frame emulation look better without the feature enabled.   

One idea could be to have a smart filter recognize which titles could benefit from it and otherwise leave it off.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, Grimlock66 said:

Hi, I just loaded up my Retro 77 with the image. When I start it up, this is the screen I get. Is this normal?

Yes, that is the screen I get as well.  I created a "games" directory in the root directory of the SD chip's filesystem, then I put my ROMs in that directory.  Now when I power on my R77, it starts in the games directory.

I'm kinda new to the emulation game, I've been fortunate enough to be able to run on mostly original equipment. The last time I dealt with ROMs was with MAME on my pc. Are there any preferred sites out there to get ROMs from and, more importantly, any to avoid? Thanks in advance. (Thanks for the advice Unixdude)

Question for the devs...I'm running beta 2. When I use an Atari or Hyperkin joystick, i have no issues, but when I use a Genesis controller I cannot navigate the menus as expected:

Pushing up, down, or any of the buttons does nothing

Pushing left brings up the "power on options" menu

Pushing right starts whatever game is hi-lighted

Is that expected, or is it something with my Genesis pad. Its a 6 button generic one.

13 hours ago, Lord Helmet said:

Makes sense.

Anyone else try a Genesis pad with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did, no go (I tried both 3&6 button). If I can find my (only) SMS controller, It "should" work because it's wired the same as a 2600 joystick. I've also tried the WICO BOSS & Discwasher Pointmaster joysticks. They both work fine, so I'm assuming any original 3rd party 2600 joysticks work fine. If you really need that D-pad, it shouldn't be difficult to rewire a genesis/megadrive controller. Remove the multiplexer chip inside, then jumper the button accordingly. 

I did, no go (I tried both 3&6 button). If I can find my (only) SMS controller, It "should" work because it's wired the same as a 2600 joystick. I've also tried the WICO BOSS & Discwasher Pointmaster joysticks. They both work fine, so I'm assuming any original 3rd party 2600 joysticks work fine. If you really need that D-pad, it shouldn't be difficult to rewire a genesis/megadrive controller. Remove the multiplexer chip inside, then jumper the button accordingly. 

Thanks for confirming! I thought I was crazy for a bit. It’s really not about a dpad but more about the second button for games like Scramble. I know you can play with a single button, but it’s better with two [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just discovered this project and Retron 77. How is paddle support currently with the latest version of this community build (build 2) installed? I see some have had to mess around with bindings/settings to get paddles to work correctly? Is there an easier way to get them to work well? All the videos I see, there seems to be a lot of jitter (paddles not working smoothly). Is that just how paddle support is for this currently?

Edited by fiudr

On 12/16/2019 at 5:35 PM, fiudr said:

Just discovered this project and Retron 77. How is paddle support currently with the latest version of this community build (build 2) installed? I see some have had to mess around with bindings/settings to get paddles to work correctly? Is there an easier way to get them to work well? All the videos I see, there seems to be a lot of jitter (paddles not working smoothly). Is that just how paddle support is for this currently?

The newest build for the Retron branch of Stella has some software in it that attempts to smooth out jitter when using paddles on the native R77 inputs. The unfortunate thing is that those inputs are governed by firmware written for those boards, and there's only so much the Stella team can do. You'd have to get Hyperkin to write new firmware to fix those issues, so until they do all that's possible are band-aid fixes. 

I personally just use a USB adapter plugged in to the back of the console and it works EXTREMELY well. It's not tremendously elegant, but it is functional.

• 3 weeks later...