IGNORED

Stella 6 on the R77: the eagle is landing

DirtyHairy

There's a small control inconsistency in the launcher UI.  I don't know if it can(or should as I'm not sure what's intended) be fixed by simply remapping or not.

A 9 pin joystick plugged into the front ports allows one to select a game line by line by using the up and down directions, or page by page using left and right.  The same is true of a USB keyboard's cursor keys. 

With a wireless USB controller on the other hand, the left thumb-stick works as expected in the UI, but the dpad will only do line by line.  Left and right on the dpad in the UI does nothing.  FWIW, the right thumbstick doesn't do anything at all in the UI.

I see from "jstest" on my computer that the Mayflash adapter I'm using maps left thumbstick to axis 0 and 1, dpad to axis 4 and 5, and right thumbstick to axis 2 and 3 respectively.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having Problems with SCRAMBLE and SUPER COBRA ARCADE: In both Games the "Air-to-Ground"-Shot does not work! On my PC it all works flawlessly, but on the Retron (with Beta2- and actual RC1-Firmware) I can only shoot straight forward and not hitting the Ground-Targets...

Is this a Bug or do i have to change some Preferences for the Games?

All other Games (also ARM-based Games like DRACONIAN) don't seem to have Problems (at least from what I've seen until now).

That's happening with the latest PC Stella too. Stella checks which controller the game supports and makes it available. And the game checks, if a Genesis controller is available and uses it then. So the two auto detections clash here.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

I think we should manually set "Joystick" for these games.  While it's good that Genesis autodetection is working, I believe the vast majority of people won't be using such a controller.  So it makes sense to cater to those people.

EDIT:  By 'we', I meant that the Stella team should change the settings in the released version of Stella, so that each user doesn't have to.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SpiceWare said:

Same issue will occur with Stay Frosty 2, if you don't switch it to Joystick then you won't be able to throw snowballs and thus get stuck on level 4.

@SpiceWare, I just realized that we don't have a ROM properties entry for Stay Frosty 2 in Stella.  As such, we can't make an exception for this game to use Joystick by default.  Did you ever release the ROMs for this game?  If so, please provide them, as well as any info you want in the database.  We're planning a new release by the end of the coming week, so it would be great to get this updated before then.

1 hour ago, stephena said:

@SpiceWare, I just realized that we don't have a ROM properties entry for Stay Frosty 2 in Stella.  As such, we can't make an exception for this game to use Joystick by default.  Did you ever release the ROMs for this game?  If so, please provide them, as well as any info you want in the database.  We're planning a new release by the end of the coming week, so it would be great to get this updated before then.

Here's the ROMs, they were released here for the High Score Club.

SF2_20131217_RC8_NTSC.bin

SF2_20131217_RC8_PAL.bin

Properties:

"Cart.MD5" "541cac55ebcf7891d9d51c415922303f"
"Cart.Manufacturer" "SpiceWare - Darrell Spice Jr."
"Cart.ModelNo" "SW-05"
"Cart.Name" "Stay Frosty 2"
"Cart.Note" "AtariAge Holiday Greetings 2014"
"Cart.Rarity" "Homebrew"
"Controller.Left" "JOYSTICK"
"Display.Phosphor" "YES"
""

"Cart.MD5" "791c88eca9836af8c34bf32b07cb58a7"
"Cart.Manufacturer" "SpiceWare - Darrell Spice Jr."
"Cart.ModelNo" "SW-05"
"Cart.Name" "Stay Frosty 2 (PAL60)"
"Cart.Note" "AtariAge Holiday Greetings 2014"
"Cart.Rarity" "Homebrew"
"Controller.Left" "JOYSTICK"
"Display.Format" "PAL60"
"Display.Phosphor" "YES"
""

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SpiceWare said:

Here's the ROMs, they were released here for the High Score Club.

OK, thanks for the info; I'll get it added in a moment.  In the future, it might be better to release the ROMs named with the actual format.  So instead of 'PAL', please use 'PAL60'.  That way Stella can detect the PAL60, and you don't need a properties entry for it at all.  This is a new feature coming in 6.1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2020 at 3:38 PM, DirtyHairy said:

Thanks for your report! Yes, this sounds like frame skipping --- I have ran into that several times during firmware development, but I thought we had been able to resolve this for good. I'll investigate... ?

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've upgraded to the latest release and I'm no longer experiencing the frame skipping issue! Also, the new font is MUCH easier to read! Much thanks to everyone involved!

• Like 2

I just installed v6.1, I love the new fonts & layout options. I am having one issue though: my input settings are not saving when I exit the options menu, and are reset to defaults when I power cycle the console. I noticed there is no .cfg file on the SD card in the config folder. If I make one (or edit one from mainline Stella 6 build), will the R77 use it instead as the default? 

1 minute ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Try to delete the sqlite files.

Thanks, yeah, I can rsync my files onto a smaller drive, but it appears that there's some sort of special formatting or special file allocation that isn't getting copied when I make my own FAT16 image with the same files.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  This isn't a huge deal, but if I can reallocate the 32GB card that's in my RetroN77, I have a tiny 64MB card that would have space left over, and I'd love to be able to use that for the R77.

52 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Try to delete the sqlite files.

As to be expected, deleting the database files reset all of my settings, however, If I try to change any of my inputs, it still resets to the defaults after power cycle. All I'm trying to do with the input settings is erase the mapping for "Color/BW toggle" (F4), and then map "screenshots" from the default F12 to F4 (physical color/bw button on back of R77). It works intil I turn the power off.

I guess one option for those who want to add more physical buttons to the console, but do not want to lug around a USB keyboard, could be to use an Arduino Leonardo (or compatible) connected to the internal USB of the R77 & drill more buttons into the back of the console.