IGNORED

Stella 6 on the R77: the eagle is landing

DirtyHairy

3 hours ago, ozyr said:

Question for Stella running on the Retron 77. Could this make a game easier to play (slowed down or such via Stella)? I ask, as I need to know, but don't own a Retron 77.

Not sure what you're asking, but the emulation can be slowed down in Options -> Video -> Emul. speed.  It won't skip frames to do so, but will instead lengthen the time a frame takes.

56 minutes ago, stephena said:

Not sure what you're asking, but the emulation can be slowed down in Options -> Video -> Emul. speed.  It won't skip frames to do so, but will instead lengthen the time a frame takes.

Neat, can it speed up the game, so you can play a game at 1.5x speed or double speed?

Sorry for not checking myself :) 

The 'Emul. speed' option mentioned above can slow down or speed up emulation in the range 10% - 1000%.  But it will speed up or slow down everything at the same rate.  So at 50% speed, the video and audio are 50% slower, but so is the input.  Similarly, at 200% everything is twice as fast.

It's best to just try it to see what I mean; it's something that's easier to see in action than explaining.

6 hours ago, stephena said:

The 'Emul. speed' option mentioned above can slow down or speed up emulation in the range 10% - 1000%.  But it will speed up or slow down everything at the same rate.  So at 50% speed, the video and audio are 50% slower, but so is the input.  Similarly, at 200% everything is twice as fast.

It's best to just try it to see what I mean; it's something that's easier to see in action than explaining.

Thanks.

I like it.

The intellivision emulator, jzintv, has similar functionality and it is fun playing some games at a higher speed.

Just now, wilfwilfus said:

Not sure if this can be done or not, can you set the UI launcher screen to be in 16:9 wide-screen, but have the games to be displayed in their 4:3 original ratio when being played?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

That's how it works on my system: menu is in 16:9, but games are 4:3.  On my TV (Vizio D43fx-F4) menu is letterboxed by the same amount on all 4 sides, but games are full-screen-height 4:3 with no black bars on top & bottom.

1 hour ago, unixdude said:

That's how it works on my system: menu is in 16:9, but games are 4:3.  On my TV (Vizio D43fx-F4) menu is letterboxed by the same amount on all 4 sides, but games are full-screen-height 4:3 with no black bars on top & bottom.

Realized I had set my TV aspect ratio to 4:3 for the R77 when there was no need to, have changed it back to Original ratio.

Thanks anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm not very computer savvy and need a few things cleared up. 

I have win32 and don't want to write over the original Retron sd card. Does it matter what card I use? e.g. does it matter if I use a 16Gb card? (as that's what I have spare). I tried to write onto this card and it seemed to kinda work ie some cartridges worked but others that had previously worked did not. Also it didn't graphically look as good.

So if I want to write onto a blank sd card, what do I need to do? Do I need to have the original firmware and then this update just writes (or rewrites) over it.

If that's the case is it possible to copy the original firmware from the original sd card to a blank card and then add the update to that.

Can anyone provide a good generic link (or specific) link to help computer dodos like me. What I found most confusing was when choosing the image, from the list the top option had the right name but didn't mention zip whereas the 3rd option down said source (zip) but that didn't have the same name as the top one.

I don't intend to get many ROMS but probably a few. Mainly I just want better comparability in the hope some of my cartridges that haven't worked will, and it would be great to get the paddles working.

Any help is appreciated and a big thanks to all that invested their time and effort. I'm not sure why Hyperkin wouldn't want to improve the machine they made specifically for Atari - to do what it was actually intended to do. Very poor.

22 minutes ago, SmartSped said:

Hey guys. I just installed Stella 6.1.1 on my Retron 77 using Etcher. 2 player works fine on ROMs but doesn't seem to work at all with a cartridge loaded. Anyone know what's going on? I tried Combat, Armor Ambush and a couple of other cartridges.

Is this a new Retron 77?  Did carts work before you installed the update? 

Have you taken a look at the contacts in your cart slot to make sure that they are intact?

On 5/11/2020 at 9:00 PM, Den22 said:

Hi,

I'm not very computer savvy and need a few things cleared up. 

I have win32 and don't want to write over the original Retron sd card. Does it matter what card I use? e.g. does it matter if I use a 16Gb card? (as that's what I have spare). I tried to write onto this card and it seemed to kinda work ie some cartridges worked but others that had previously worked did not. Also it didn't graphically look as good.

Assuming it's been written correctly, an sd card either works with the R77 or it doesn't.

Are you talking about physical cartridges?  It's unlikely that the update would affect cart compatibility much one way or the other so far as I know.  As for the graphics, you'll have to be more specific.

So if I want to write onto a blank sd card, what do I need to do? Do I need to have the original firmware and then this update just writes (or rewrites) over it.

If that's the case is it possible to copy the original firmware from the original sd card to a blank card and then add the update to that.

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.  You don't need the original firmware in order to use the updated firmware sd card image.

Can anyone provide a good generic link (or specific) link to help computer dodos like me. What I found most confusing was when choosing the image, from the list the top option had the right name but didn't mention zip whereas the 3rd option down said source (zip) but that didn't have the same name as the top one.

This is the most current release for the R77.

The file that you want is sdcard.img, which you write to the card with an sdcard writer such as balenaEtcher.

I don't intend to get many ROMS but probably a few. Mainly I just want better comparability in the hope some of my cartridges that haven't worked will, and it would be great to get the paddles working.

Cart compatibility is unlikely to be affected much by the update.  What you do get is better emulation, and better rom compatibility.

1 hour ago, fluxit said:

Is this a new Retron 77?  Did carts work before you installed the update? 

Have you taken a look at the contacts in your cart slot to make sure that they are intact?

Yes it's nearly brand new. Just ordered from Amazon. I played with it a little bit before updating the firmware and I didn't test the Player 2 port before updating so I'm not sure. Carts work perfectly fine except for the Player 2 port so I don't think it's cart reading issue.  I'm guessing it's not a physical issue with the port either since it does work on ROMs.

Edited by SmartSped

1 hour ago, SmartSped said:

Yes it's nearly brand new. Just ordered from Amazon. I played with it a little bit before updating the firmware and I didn't test the Player 2 port before updating so I'm not sure. Carts work perfectly fine except for the Player 2 port so I don't think it's cart reading issue.  I'm guessing it's not a physical issue with the port either since it does work on ROMs.

Nevermind. It seems to be working now. Not sure what was going on.

1 minute ago, SmartSped said:

Nevermind. It seems to be working now. Not sure what was going on.

I just did some testing and was not able to confirm an issue here, with or without a default configuration.  Maybe you just didn't have a good connection or your 2nd joystick is iffy.

What type of controllers are you using?

Just because I thought some people would find this amusing... I sure did.

I bought a Retron77 for the HDMI output. Not a problem.... What turned out to be the laugher is I wanted it so I could use my Harmony cart on an HDMI system not realizing the system is, essentially, one big Harmony cart with Stella 6.1.1 installed. ?

OK That's all folks!! Back to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress. :)

• Like 2