IGNORED

Stella 6 on the R77: the eagle is landing

DirtyHairy

If you set the cart type to "4k" in the PC version of Stella, the behaviour matches what @Charlie_ is describing: only the upper part of the screen is rendered, and the the music play faster (frame rate is over 70fps).
So maybe the r77 dumper is failing to detect the cart type correctly and provides a bad rom to Stella.

Is it possible to enable the "console info overlay" in the r77 port of Stella, to check what size is the rom from the dumper?

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 12:11 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:
On 5/19/2020 at 10:50 PM, KevinMos3 said:

Some buttons aren't working for me in 6.1.2.  I can't exit a game and I can't access the settings.  Went back to 6.1.1 for now.  Anyone else have this issue?

In such cases, try to delete the sqlite files.

Thanks, but that still didn't work.  I still wasn't able to exit a game or access the menu from within a game.  However, I was able to access the options from the main interface.  I had to re-map the menu buttons.  Maybe these don't get default mapped properly in 6.1.2 on the R77?

Edited by KevinMos3

21 hours ago, Charlie_ said:

Is there a way to get the Coleco Smurf Rescue cart to work with this system? It only displays half a screen and the music is very fast.

I have two copies of Smurf: RIGC. They both exhibit the same problems described by Charlie. I noticed that the R77/Stella is auto detecting the cartridge as "F4 (4K) Atari". However, the ROM dump (which works perfectly) is auto detecting as "F8 (8K) Atari). The bank switching document by Kevin Horton also lists the game as being 8K (Smurf: RIGC 2465 U 8 F8 X SMURFRES). I tried manually switching the settings to match the ROM version (several times) and it does not seem to work. I randomly tried a few other related bank switching modes, but alas, they too do not work either. One thing I discovered while experimenting is that if you change the TV FORMAT setting from auto detect, and force NTSC mode, the game does not load at all. I also tried changing the START BANK setting with no luck. Not sure if the bank switch mapper is correct for this cartridge, or perhaps it need a specific starting address index to load correctly. Stella seems to only allow the user to select bank 0 or 1 and not an arbitrary address. 

20200522_070831.jpg

• Thanks 1

I guess until someone helps with a solution, just enjoy the ROM via SD card. Your cart seems to be working as both of mine behave the same way, and do work just fine in my original 4 switcher 2600. I'll try to investigate as much as I can, but I'm kinda at a loss at this point. Maybe try every possible combination of bank switching options and maybe/until one will work?

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

Thanks, but that still didn't work.  I still wasn't able to exit a game or access the menu from within a game.  However, I was able to access the options from the main interface.  I had to re-map the menu buttons.  Maybe these don't get default mapped properly in 6.1.2 on the R77?

17 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Hm... Can anyone reproduce the problem? I can't.

I was able to reproduce this by renaming my stella directory.  Stella created a new one, but the only back panel button that functioned in game was color/bw.  After a reboot, nothing had changed in this regard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@DirtyHairy do you have a timeline, when you do an upload of version 6.2?

I‘ve got the same problem as described several times with version 6.1.2, that the button layout is totally gone.

I went back to v 6.1.1 and all seems to be good again. The problem with the wrong detected cartridge size while plugin Smurf seems to be in both versions the same. When I tune this manually, the cartridge works.

...so please have a look at the button layout, before compiling v 6.2...
(I‘m sorry, but I don‘t be able to do this by my own...think my brain is not big enough...shame on me ;-)  )

...and thumbs up to everybody who is involved in this very good firmware...this one brings really the fun to the Retron 77. Without your work, it would be only another nice looking toy in the corner of my room.

Best regards from Germany

ForD68

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2020 at 5:20 PM, ForD68 said:

@DirtyHairy do you have a timeline, when you do an upload of version 6.2?

I‘ve got the same problem as described several times with version 6.1.2, that the button layout is totally gone.

I went back to v 6.1.1 and all seems to be good again. The problem with the wrong detected cartridge size while plugin Smurf seems to be in both versions the same. When I tune this manually, the cartridge works.

...so please have a look at the button layout, before compiling v 6.2...
(I‘m sorry, but I don‘t be able to do this by my own...think my brain is not big enough...shame on me ;-)  )

...and thumbs up to everybody who is involved in this very good firmware...this one brings really the fun to the Retron 77. Without your work, it would be only another nice looking toy in the corner of my room.

Best regards from Germany

ForD68

Sorry, missed your post. As @alex_79 says: 6.2.1 is out and fixes the mapping issue.

• Like 1

I'm currently looking at buying a Retron 77 and was wondering if I should bother using my atari cartridges or should I just play everything off the card slot? Also, does the firmware update put Stella on the SD card and run it from there? If so, what size card do you recommend assuming I will he putting ROMs on there as well?

Edited by atarifan88

14 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

I'm currently looking at buying a Retron 77 and was wondering if I should bother using my atari cartridges or should I just play everything off the card slot? Also, does the firmware update put Stella on the SD card and run it from there? If so, what size card do you recommend assuming I will he putting ROMs on there as well?

It comes with an SD cart, which has plenty of space for all the games you want to add. And of course the latest Stella.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Thomas! I got my Retron 77, upgraded it to the latest Stella (6.1.2 I think) and all went well. I tried it out and the joysticks work, but not the paddles. Even when I go to the settings menu, it auto detects the correct controller. When I start a paddle game like circus atari, the player doesnt move. Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?