IGNORED

Stella 6 on the R77: the eagle is landing

DirtyHairy

I upgraded my Retron 77 to Stella 6.2.1.  I am having the same issue with the paddles.

I have the paddles plugged into the Left Port of the Retron.  I have a joystick in the right to access the game settings.

I don't have any ROMS, only carts.  When I play Super Breakout for example, the paddles do not work.  The button works, but the dial does not.

The game settings do auto detect the paddles in the left port, and the joystick in the right port.

Is this a known issue that is being debugged?

For what it's worth, the paddles work (with some jitter) under Stella 6.1.1

On 7/16/2020 at 2:20 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Anyone who knows or can check with which Stella version the problem started?

I was able to do some testing. The problem starts with Stella version 6.1.2. In all prior versions that I tested on the R77, the Ranger paddle function seemed to be working properly. Just let me know if there is any other testing that you would like me to do with the Ranger.

• Thanks 1

Cool. That will help finding the reason a LOT. 

After looking through the changes, can you please try this:

• either use the advanced settings and then Options/Input/Emul.  Events and there press Defaults
  • or delete all sqlite files on the SD cart

This might solve the problem. Or not. :) 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

12 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Cool. That will help finding the reason a LOT. 

After looking through the changes, can you please try this:

• either use the advanced settings and then Options/Input/Emul.  Events and there press Defaults
  • or delete all sqlite files on the SD cart

This might solve the problem. Or not. :) 

Hi Thomas, I was able to test and the first option (Going to advanced settings then options/input/emul and pressing defaults) fixed the issue and the Ranger paddles now works as intended in version 6.2.1.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need my assistance with any additional testing. Thank you!

I tried option 1

• use the advanced settings and then Options/Input/Emul.  Events and there press Defaults

and it worked.   I tested the Atari paddles and the Gemini paddles.  They both worked although there is a bit of jittering going on, but I don't know if that's a Retron 77 issue or not, and I don't know how I could determine that.

Thanks!

I did the advanced-options-input-emul-default then plugged my AtGames paddles in and they work with a little jitter. These are like new paddles, bit they are usable. I didn't get a chance to try the dejitter settings.

Edited by atarifan88

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

:idea: Check the dejitter settings in Advanced Options/Input/Devices & Ports.

Figured out how to get to that tab by hitting one of the back buttons on the R77. Changed both the dejitter averaging and reaction to 8 and that fixed the issue. I left the sensitivity at 100. Thanks for the help!

Edited by atarifan88

4 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

Figured out how to get to that tab by hitting one of the back buttons on the R77. Changed both the dejitter averaging and reaction to 8 and that fixed the issue. I left the sensitivity at 100. Thanks for the help!

I played around with thise settings.  

I can't get the dejitter to completely go away, but it reduces if I set dejitter averaging to 10 and reaction to 8.  I also left sensitivity at 100 as I found changing it up or down dosen't affect the actual jittering.