IGNORED

Stella 6 on the R77: the eagle is landing

DirtyHairy

13 minutes ago, BitMerge6502 said:

Does the "time machine" feature have working support? (I remember hearing something about past issues, and not to use it on the R77)?

I'm not 100% sure from the top of my head, but I think we limited the depth of the history on the R77, so it should be safe to use. Just give it a try and report if you encounter issues --- the worst thing that can happen is a crash ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DirtyHairy said:

Just give it a try and report if you encounter issues

Will do. Also, I noticed that with the new build the Armbian kernel seems a bit out of date. Are there any plans to update it, or is it possible to do so on the console itself per the usual "apt-get"?

5 hours ago, BitMerge6502 said:

Will do. Also, I noticed that with the new build the Armbian kernel seems a bit out of date. Are there any plans to update it, or is it possible to do so on the console itself per the usual "apt-get"?

The kernel is ancient (3.4 series from 2012). However, it is heavily patched, and you cannot just drop in a current mainline kernel. At a minimum, you'll have to overhaul the userland, port the Hyperkin input driver and enter the Mali GPU rabbit hole again (getting Mali to work was a pain in the ass :) ). That's a shitload of work, and I don't see any benefit from it --- even if it is ancient, the kernel works well, and the device is not connected to the internet, so there are no security issues involved.

The firmware on the console is not based on any distribution, but a hand-rolled userland based on busybox with a few selected components, so there are packages that can be upgraded.

EDIT: I forgot U-Boot, you'd also have to upgrade that one, and port the hardware definition to linux device tree ;)

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StormSurge said:

I'm hoping this is a dumb question with a simple solution.

I've upgraded my R77 to 6.4.0.

The paddles seem to be recognized (both CX-30s & the Ranger) as I can move the seesaw in Circus Atari.

However, the button doesn't work on either. 

Is there a step I missed along the way?

It seems to be a new issue being worked on:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/313085-stella-64-released/?do=findComment&comment=4671614

Edited by fdr4prez
  • Like 1

Sorry for this noob question, but I'm not sure what to try next. I downloaded sdcard.img, and tried to flash an SD card with the image, but I get this error: image.png.ba46657c4286a53c450ca3c8ea64bcbe.png

I've re-downloaded it a few times. Not sure what could be wrong.

One weird thing is, the readme on github says to download a zip file and then extract the .img file, but when I looked at the available releases the .img file was right there so that's what I downloaded. 

I downloaded sdcard.img from here https://github.com/DirtyHairy/r77-firmware-ng/releases/tag/stella-6.4.0

And I'm using balenaEtcher to flash my sd card. 

My sd card is an 8G sandisk formatted to fat32. Is that a problem?

Any ideas what to try next?

Thanks!

On 11/7/2020 at 3:50 PM, quohog said:

8G sandisk formatted to fat32. Is that a problem? 

Use the 128MB card that came with the Retron77. I used FAT format. 8GB may be too large. I have close to 500 games, homebrew, & demos on my card with screenshots for every ROM. It only occupies about ¼ of the 128MB card. You will not run out of storeage space.

7 minutes ago, quohog said:

Thanks. But that is the file I’m using. That’s what’s giving me the error. 
Ill try with something besides etcher I guess?

Possibly, I use "Win32 Disk Imager v1.0". It is the defacto standard for writing disk images in the Raspberry Pi community.

sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

(I've used this program for many years, It's safe).

Edited by BitMerge6502
add link url
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Charlie_ said:

Does this update help the cartridge slot? For example does the Smurf Rescue cart work?

I can confirm that 'Smurf Rescue in Gargamel's Castle' cartridge does NOT work with Stella v6.4 R77. However, the ROM dump version does. (This is also how you would play CBS RAM Plus games like 'Tunnel Runner'). I think this issue has been addressed previously, & the problem is due to the cart dumping software not recognizing the bankswitching method. 

Edited by BitMerge6502
add additional info

I noticed a few issues switching from v6.2.1 to v6.4, 

My previous save states do not seem to be compatible with v6.4

Original CX30 paddle buttons not working. The button does work with the Hyperkin Ranger in P-mode, but you do have to hold it down a second. [This issue is already being addressed I believe].

53 minutes ago, Charlie_ said:

Does this update help the cartridge slot? For example does the Smurf Rescue cart work now? 

I can pretty much answer that question forever.  No future release of Stella will ever improve what the cart slot can do, since we don't have the source code for it.  And I don't see getting the source any time soon, if ever.  And even if we did, it may require specialized hardware to 'program' it (ie, updating BIOS, etc on the board).

19 minutes ago, BitMerge6502 said:

I noticed a few issues switching from v6.2.1 to v6.4, 

My previous save states do not seem to be compatible with v6.4

Original CX30 paddle buttons not working. The button does work with the Hyperkin Ranger in P-mode, but you do have to hold it down a second. [This issue is already being addressed I believe].

Save states will sometimes change between releases.  This happens when the internal structure of the code changes.  Sorry, there's nothing we can do to fix this.

The paddle buttons not working are a reported issue: https://github.com/stella-emu/stella/issues/725.  We are looking into it for the next release.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

No homebrew cart which includes an ARM CPU will ever work from the cart port.  But they will work fine as ROMs.  The two games you mention do use the ARM coprocessor, so they don't work with the R77 cart port.

EDIT: Sorry, I mixed up if you were asking about the cart port or the community build.  I don't know if ARM games will work with the original software that came with the R77, but they will definitely work with the most recent release (based on Stella 6.x).  But again, only from SD card (as ROMs).