Jump to content
DirtyHairy

Stella 6 on the R77: the eagle is landing

Recommended Posts

The high values required sound like your paddles need some good cleaning. Or do they work better at a real console?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So where would I find the 6.1.1 image for R77.  Would I have to re-image the disk or just copy the uImage over.  Lots of paddle games and so far no paddles working.  Trying to get into Emul/Events to set defaults.  But nothing playing nice.

Thnx!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the same github repository where the latest version is. Just click on "Releases"

 

Senzanome.thumb.png.c19fca93c1d744979973ec416b7e5c16.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, wfletcher3 said:

So where would I find the 6.1.1 image for R77.  Would I have to re-image the disk or just copy the uImage over.  Lots of paddle games and so far no paddles working.  Trying to get into Emul/Events to set defaults.  But nothing playing nice.

Thnx!

The problem is not 6.1.1+ related. Did you try to delete the sqlite files?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While you can go to github directly, it's probably better to go through the Stella website instead: https://stella-emu.github.io/downloads.html

 

In the end, it goes to the same place, but the website has everything integrated in one place, along with documentation, details on donations, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The high values required sound like your paddles need some good cleaning. Or do they work better at a real console?

I wish i had one to test them on.  I did buy them on Ebay from someone that said they were cleaned and refurbished, but you never know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The high values required sound like your paddles need some good cleaning. Or do they work better at a real console?

The AtGames paddles are like new and they work like new on an actual Atari. No jitter or cleaning necessary.

Edited by atarifan88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, atarifan88 said:

The AtGames paddles are like new and they work like new on an actual Atari. No jitter or cleaning necessary.

Not sure what you are referring to. nyhack56 didn't mention AtGames paddles, did he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Not sure what you are referring to. nyhack56 didn't mention AtGames paddles, did he?

I wasnt sure if you meant we both had high settings so I chimed in with what I was using and confirmed that I've used it on an actual Atari. I thought that was the information you were looking for. I didn't realize you were asking nyhack56 as you didn't quote him directly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, atarifan88 said:

I wasnt sure if you meant we both had high settings so I chimed in with what I was using and confirmed that I've used it on an actual Atari. I thought that was the information you were looking for. I didn't realize you were asking nyhack56 as you didn't quote him directly.

Sorry, I missed that you had posted similar settings too. Then my answer was addressed to both of you. 

 

If the settings are too high, the paddle response feels a bit synthetic, IMO. I wonder why you need such high settings, the default (2/6) works well on my R77 (that's why we defaulted these values). Maybe it varies how badly the R77 can handle paddles... :ponder: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Sorry, I missed that you had posted similar settings too. Then my answer was addressed to both of you. 

 

If the settings are too high, the paddle response feels a bit synthetic, IMO. I wonder why you need such high settings, the default (2/6) works well on my R77 (that's why we defaulted these values). Maybe it varies how badly the R77 can handle paddles... :ponder: 

No problem.  I will say changing the dejitter settings helped stabilize my paddles and it hasn't negatively affected them during gameplay.  It's a win for me because this is the first time I have been able to get paddles to work for emulation.  Thanks for all the work you and the rest of the crew put in to get Stella working on the R77!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 11:10 AM, alex_79 said:

In the same github repository where the latest version is. Just click on "Releases"

 

Senzanome.thumb.png.c19fca93c1d744979973ec416b7e5c16.png

Thank you.  New to all of this.  Fell in love with Atari when it first came out.  Wife and I stayed up till 3 in the morning playing pong when we first got it; on a work night.  

 

Some people are saying that 6.1.1 is supporting paddles.  In 6.2.1 I have to use Rangers in stick mode (6.2.1) all the way into the game.  Then change it to paddles.  Atari paddles fail except for fire button.  But then to, Atari paddles are failing with original version N77 comes with, but does work with the rangers.

 

Thank you again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I described how to fix your problems some posts above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2020 at 4:08 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Glad to hear that this fixed your problem.

 

Now I hope it works for everyone else too. Please let me know.

I am using both the Ranger and a new set of Best Electronics paddles.

After doing the advanced-options-input-emul-default option the Ranger paddle works perfectly, I'm not sure if I can tell a difference between the Retron's input and using the the 2600-dapter. Very smooth. On the other hand, real paddles are very jittery. Adjusting the jitter settings helped a lot, but it's still nowhere as good as the buttery smooth response the same paddles get with the 2600-dapter.

 

Thanks for the fix!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news.

 

Yes, the hardware of the R77 used for paddles is quite bad. It creates a lot of extra jitter and one paddle even influences the other one (we tried to compensate that as good as possible).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 12:17 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I described how to fix your problems some posts above.

Hi Thomas,

So I went back and found where you said to either go into Advanced/Options/Input/Emul and set Events to default.  You also said to delete the sqlite files.  So I started all over from the beginning.

I went to http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/ordering.htm#Order and ordered 2 new POTs and replaced them today.

I bought the Retron77 splitter so I could run 2 paddles.

I went to http://www.2600-daptor.com/ and bought the DB9 to USB connector. 

Deleted old partition on SD drive, created new partition on drive, formatted

Ran Win32DiskImager with the 6.2.1 sdcard.img.  Even though I didn't have to I also copied the uImage over on the microSD

Put the disk in the retron77 and did your "go into Advanced/Options/Input/Emul and set Events to default".

The original Atari paddles work in the ROM menus from the front of the retron77 box.  They do not work in the splitter nor in the dapter USB port.

The ranger paddles work from the front of the retron77 box, but not thru the splitter on the USB port.

When using the ranger paddles, I have to use stick mode in the ROM menus all the way into game.  Once there I change to paddle mode to play game.

I just deleted 3 sqlite files in the stella directory: settings.sqlite3, settings.sqlite3-shm and settings.sqlite3-wal.  I have done no testing yet after deleting these files.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.  If you need any other info let me know.

w-

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for testing. I wonder why the Atari paddles do not work via 2600-daptor. IIRC this has been reported to work.

 

Can you try to use them from your computer using Stella?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Thanks for testing. I wonder why the Atari paddles do not work via 2600-daptor. IIRC this has been reported to work.

 

Can you try to use them from your computer using Stella?

Thanks for the reply.  I could test the Atari paddles on the computer if someone could direct me to where I could find how to set up stella on a windows 10 machine.  

And also; Before moving or changing the DB9 cable,  I shut down the retron77 machine, then moved/changed the cable and then turned machine back on (in testing above).  FYI 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wfletcher3 said:

...if someone could direct me to where I could find how to set up stella on a windows 10 machine.  

That's dead easy. Just follow this link and chose the first option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Thanks for testing. I wonder why the Atari paddles do not work via 2600-daptor. IIRC this has been reported to work.

 

Can you try to use them from your computer using Stella?

Figured out how to get stella running on a win 10 machine.  Please give me a few to go and get paddles to test.  Mouse works fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That's dead easy. Just follow this link and chose the first option.

Hi Thomas,

So I have it up and running, but it does not recognize neither ranger nor atari paddles running the binary.  But the mouse works great.  Testing was with just dapter and with hyperkin splitter on dapter.

Is there a driver I have to install for the paddles?

w-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you also need to set the right COM port in Stella under Windows? I'm not remembering how to determine which COM port, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Karl G said:

I think you also need to set the right COM port in Stella under Windows? I'm not remembering how to determine which COM port, though. 

Went into advanced setting.  In the help section, it said Ctrl+ O would change it from the mouse.  When I did that it was like the fire button was held down and selection was jumping throughout the menu choices.  But no mouse movement; for both ranger and atari paddles.  Going into ports  in advanced and changing it from autodetect to Atari Paddles did nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wfletcher3 said:

Went into advanced setting.  In the help section, it said Ctrl+ O would change it from the mouse.  When I did that it was like the fire button was held down and selection was jumping throughout the menu choices.  But no mouse movement; for both ranger and atari paddles.  Going into ports  in advanced and changing it from autodetect to Atari Paddles did nothing.

So I did some research and someone is going to have to do some real work to get this straightened out.  According to the wiring schematics I found for ranger and atari paddles...  They're not close.

The Atari paddle schematic    <<<Atari to the left  ----  Ranger to the right>>>   image.png.eba89a91923d19afd6ff4f9425ae37b2.png

 

If someone out there could tell me where to find a DB9 cable and what wires to solder where on the original Atari paddles.  I'd love to try.

Thnx,

w- 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The 2600-daptor definitely works on a computer. I have one and it does. Are you sure you got the switches on the daptor right? 

 

Which game did you use for testing?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...