IGNORED

Stella 6 on the R77: the eagle is landing

DirtyHairy

55 minutes ago, wfletcher3 said:

So I did some research and someone is going to have to do some real work to get this straightened out.  According to the wiring schematics I found for ranger and atari paddles...  They're not close.

If the Ranger paddles work on a real Atari console (and all my research say that they do), then the pinouts can't be an issue.  They must be the same, otherwise they wouldn't work at all.  I really need to get a Ranger controller, but they're all $40+ here, and I'm waiting until they go on sale or something.

15 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The 2600-daptor definitely works on a computer. I have one and it does. Are you sure you got the switches on the daptor right? 

The 2600-daptor was also designed partly with Stella in mind.  I've been in contact over the years with its developer, and we (try to) make sure that the process is as plug-and-play as possible.  There is no need to set anything in your OS or Stella for a 2600-daptor to work.  Stella automatically 'sees' when such a device is plugged in, and acts accordingly.  There are only a few possible issues I can see:

1. The 2600-daptor you have is broken.
  2. Stella has some sort of bug in its 2600-daptor handling (but that hasn't been reported elsewhere).
  3. The DIP switches on the 2600-daptor are not set for the correct controller type.
  4. The paddle game you're trying to play isn't recognized by Stella as actually using paddles (this requires the game to be configured properly).

I suggest posting the ROM here, and also trying all this in Stella on the PC.  Let's try to remove the R77 and the specific ROM from the equation.  If you can't get it to work on desktop Stella (in Windows), then that's a problem right off the bat, and we should address that first.

11 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Thanks for testing. I wonder why the Atari paddles do not work via 2600-daptor. IIRC this has been reported to work.

Can you try to use them from your computer using Stella?

2600-dapter working perfectly for me, even before using your Option 1 fix above.

2 hours ago, stephena said:

The 2600-daptor was also designed partly with Stella in mind.  I've been in contact over the years with its developer, and we (try to) make sure that the process is as plug-and-play as possible.  There is no need to set anything in your OS or Stella for a 2600-daptor to work.  Stella automatically 'sees' when such a device is plugged in, and acts accordingly.  There are only a few possible issues I can see:

1. The 2600-daptor you have is broken.
  2. Stella has some sort of bug in its 2600-daptor handling (but that hasn't been reported elsewhere).
  3. The DIP switches on the 2600-daptor are not set for the correct controller type.
  4. The paddle game you're trying to play isn't recognized by Stella as actually using paddles (this requires the game to be configured properly).

I suggest posting the ROM here, and also trying all this in Stella on the PC.  Let's try to remove the R77 and the specific ROM from the equation.  If you can't get it to work on desktop Stella (in Windows), then that's a problem right off the bat, and we should address that first.

So I tried exactly same steps on PC and it did not work (that is no paddle control on neither kaboom nor breakout to name just 2 games I tried).  I have attached those files.  

As a note I first tried just a straight config ( no changes) on all tests.  My second test was going into advanced/game properties/controllers and changed it from auto detect to atari paddles with no change in paddles NOT working.

I am using the same ROMs on both win10 and retron77.  When changing wires to different ports or different controllers or after changing/saving settings.  The stella ver 6.2.1 on win10 was shut down wires changed and then restarted.

image.thumb.png.80fb7d1ffd1ee281835824c5c173015b.pngimage.thumb.png.3310ef129b563d4b0c154071d83f58ad.png    

Windows found the 2600-dapter and is working fine

image.png.ac7779dd9d9ac19981566788e87150d7.pngimage.png.b3661c2ba64f37e1119b7406e4e2666b.png    

Reset to default did nothing and cali8brate only did verticle axis ('z' axis - up and down) and would not calibrate horizontal left to right).

I really can't thank everyone enough for all of this help and getting this straight.

According to the guy at BEST atari parts whom I called and verified yesterday all switches on the 2nd Gen S5 super POTs C0-10464-s5 all switches are supposed to be up for both atari and ranger paddles.  Verified all switches are up.

Don't know what else in game I could configure, as all games tested failed.

Again THANK YOU!  Really appreciate this.  

image.png

Breakout.bin Kaboom!.bin

5 minutes ago, wfletcher3 said:

So I tried exactly same steps on PC and it did not work (that is no paddle control on neither kaboom nor breakout to name just 2 games I tried).  I have attached those files.  

As a note I first tried just a straight config ( no changes) on all tests.  My second test was going into advanced/game properties/controllers and changed it from auto detect to atari paddles with no change in paddles NOT working.

I am using the same ROMs on both win10 and retron77.  When changing wires to different ports or different controllers or after changing/saving settings.  The stella ver 6.2.1 on win10 was shut down wires changed and then restarted.

image.thumb.png.80fb7d1ffd1ee281835824c5c173015b.pngimage.thumb.png.3310ef129b563d4b0c154071d83f58ad.png    

Windows found the 2600-dapter and is working fine

image.png.ac7779dd9d9ac19981566788e87150d7.pngimage.png.b3661c2ba64f37e1119b7406e4e2666b.png    

Reset to default did nothing and cali8brate only did verticle axis ('z' axis - up and down) and would not calibrate horizontal left to right).

I really can't thank everyone enough for all of this help and getting this straight.

According to the guy at BEST atari parts whom I called and verified yesterday all switches on the 2nd Gen S5 super POTs C0-10464-s5 all switches are supposed to be up for both atari and ranger paddles.  Verified all switches are up.

Don't know what else in game I could configure, as all games tested failed.

Again THANK YOU!  Really appreciate this.  

image.png

Breakout.bin 16 kB · 1 download Kaboom!.bin 2 kB · 1 download

Sorry about a little confusion above.  I bought the dapter 2600 D9 and checked the switch setting for both the atari paddles (POTs listed above) and ranger paddles.  All switches are supposed to be up.  Also spoke with POTs maker and wires go on same way same way came off.

19 minutes ago, wfletcher3 said:

Sorry about a little confusion above.  I bought the dapter 2600 D9 and checked the switch setting for both the atari paddles (POTs listed above) and ranger paddles.  All switches are supposed to be up.  Also spoke with POTs maker and wires go on same way same way came off.

Does that mean you had the switches wrong?

WHAT!!!  I just tested the Stelladaptor, 2600-daptor, 2600-daptor II and 2600-daptor D9.  None of them are working in the latest Stella.  So this is a more widespread problem.  They worked in Stella 5, so it's something introduced in Stella 6.  Now I just need to track down the latest release where these worked.

Let's remove Stella from the equation for a moment.  Go into the joystick control panel in Windows and see what the paddles/2600-daptor is sending to Windows itself.  There should be a window that shows a crossbar and buttons.  Moving the paddle should move the crossbar from across the square.  Pressing the paddle button should indicate that a button has been pressed.  If Windows is not showing this, then it's a problem with Windows and the device, and has nothing to do with Stella.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Does that mean you had the switches wrong?

Nope, switches right.  Still not working.  Tom said there is a "ctrl +  ?" that I have to do to move from mouse to controller (can't find that in docs)?  It is also listed in device manager as a Human Interface device  Not a USB game controller (mantioned in another thread here).  Anyone?  And thanx all!

image.thumb.png.d70cdb083792b180bb888ce2164bd843.pngimage.png.b57b0ef88ee3323066b074de89ef68b5.png    

2 hours ago, stephena said:

WHAT!!!  I just tested the Stelladaptor, 2600-daptor, 2600-daptor II and 2600-daptor D9.  None of them are working in the latest Stella.  So this is a more widespread problem.  They worked in Stella 5, so it's something introduced in Stella 6.  Now I just need to track down the latest release where these worked.

Thank you!  Please let me know what you find.

No, I need you to go to the game controllers window.  For me it looks like this:

image.png.b0cb61173bdf5b3982edc459c211c874.png

Click on "Properties", to get a Window something like this:

image.png.4ba35946b899f631ed72b1d8990d4bc2.png

Now move the paddle back and forth, and press the button.  It should be obvious if the paddle is sending the correct data to Windows.  If it isn't, then this is not a Stella problem.  If it is, we can diagnose further.

57 minutes ago, stephena said:

No, I need you to go to the game controllers window.  For me it looks like this:

image.png.b0cb61173bdf5b3982edc459c211c874.png

Click on "Properties", to get a Window something like this:

image.png.4ba35946b899f631ed72b1d8990d4bc2.png

Now move the paddle back and forth, and press the button.  It should be obvious if the paddle is sending the correct data to Windows.  If it isn't, then this is not a Stella problem.  If it is, we can diagnose further.

See pics below.  crosshairs move diagonally

1 hour ago, stephena said:

That's the calibration window.  Please go to properties as I've shown above, and report your results.

Note that the 2600-daptor devices typically don't need to be calibrated.

In the doc attached reply above your reply here.  You will see the properties is the same as yours.  Re-attached here ass well.

Doc1.docx

11 hours ago, hizzy said:

Just wanted to say that I find this topic super helpful! Thanks!! :)

Yes; I was going to ask about the best way to get paddle games working (New Best paddles, buying Rangers and the splitter, a 2600 D9, and asking how to set it all up!) but watching others with way more knowledge troubleshoot for me is even better!

So been working with Tom from2600-dapter.  Very nice guy.

Got Atari paddles working on computer on 6.2.1

Got Atari paddles working on DB9 on retron 6.1.1

Testing/results below.

If anyone can answer these questions appreciated:

*Do I have to reflash after every time I unplug from computer?

*Does it matter still flashing even when computer turned off?

*So I guess I need 2 dapters for 2 players?  And all 4 paddles plugged in?  And a USB hub for computer?  As I want to run this on a retron77, will I need just splitter?

Steps:

Everything on win10 or retron77 and stella 6.2.1 unless otherwise noted.

Jumped and stopped flashing.

Reflashed bios with 190927. 

Unplugged USB

Plugged in Atari paddles

Didn’t work

Started over again

Jumped and stopped flashing.

Reflashed bios with 190901. 

Unplugged USB

Plugged in Atari paddles

They work.

On win10 machine:

So I ran your test.

Paddles were working fine

Unplugged Atari and plugged in 1 ranger.

Didn’t work

Rebooted machine

Atari paddles working

Unplugged Atari Plugged in Hyperkin splitter with 2 rangers

Paddle one worked but in a hyper mode

What I mean is very little movement on paddle control made very FAST movement and FAR (across screen).

Unusable but kind of worked.

Hope this helped.

On retron77:

Paddles did not work on 6.2.1.  Had to go to 6.1.1

Paddles were working fine on front of retron not in USB on either version

Atari paddles working in DB9 only on 6.1.1

Unplugged Atari from DB9 on retron77 and plugged into retron77 usb

Didn’t work.

Ran reflash as described above.  Still didn’t work

Now doesn’t work on Computer again.

Reflashed again and now working on computer.

1 hour ago, wfletcher3 said:

If anyone can answer these questions appreciated:

*Do I have to reflash after every time I unplug from computer?

No. I never had to reflash my daptor yet.

*Does it matter still flashing even when computer turned off?

?

*So I guess I need 2 dapters for 2 players? 

Only you do not want to use the front port of the R77. These work fine for joysticks. 

Or if you you want more than 2 players using Atari's paddles.

And a USB hub for computer?

No, no hub required.

As I want to run this on a retron77, will I need just splitter?

That I cannot answer. 

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

No. I never had to reflash my daptor yet.

?

Only you do not want to use the front port of the R77. These work fine for joysticks. 

Or if you you want more than 2 players using Atari's paddles.

No, no hub required.

That I cannot answer. 

Hi Thomas,

When I asked about the flashing.  When I turn off my computer, the 2600-dapter keeps flashing.  That is ok and I don't have to unplug it?

When playing 2 or more players on a computer, do I use the Hyperkin splitter (atari paddles) or do I need another 2600-dapter?

When playing on my retron77, do I just use just the splitter for my atari paddles in the front DB9 connector for 2 or more or both front DB9 connectors?  As the USB doesn't work.

Thanks for all your help.

w-

3 minutes ago, wfletcher3 said:

When I asked about the flashing.  When I turn off my computer, the 2600-dapter keeps flashing.  That is ok and I don't have to unplug it?

Ah, you mean the lights are still flashing. That's OK, your USB ports are still getting power. 

3 minutes ago, wfletcher3 said:

When playing 2 or more players on a computer, do I use the Hyperkin splitter (atari paddles) or do I need another 2600-dapter?

I don't know anything about the Hyperkin splitter, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't thank everyone enough for all the help you gave me setting up both my RetroN77 and Win10 Stella deployments.  I put a small paper together to hopefully help other beginners.  I hope that all of this helps. 

As far as testing paddles and sticks here is what I found:

6.1.1 DB9

6.2.1 DB9

6.1.1 USB

6.2.1 USB

RetroN77

2600 Pad

Yes

Fail

Yes *1

Yes

2600 Stk

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Ranger Pad

Yes

Fail

Fail

Fail

Ranger Stk

Yes

Yes

Fail

Yes

Windows 10

2600 Pad

N/A

N/A

?

Yes

2600 Stk

N/A

N/A

?

Yes

Ranger Pad

N/A

N/A

?

Hyper*2

Ranger Stk

N/A

N/A

?

Yes

Yes*1-- ROM menu does not work with paddles at all; but paddles work in games

Hyper*2—Very little movement of paddle in hand shoots paddle on screen across screen

Yes—Works Fine

Fail—Does not work at all

?—Could not find Stella version to test

Beginners notes for Stella on Windows and RetroN77.docx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1