IGNORED

Mat Mania Review!

gorfcadet

Since it was WrestleMania yesterday I thought Id deep dive into this one; unfortunately its about as deep as my daughters kiddy pool. The shame is I see the framework for a great port, but it was clearly unfinished. What do yall think? Is this better or worse than the other 7800 wrestling game?

• Like 2

It sounds like they talked James Galway into playing his flute in the background.

Galway, "You don't have to pay me anything, but I'm not watching any wrestling."

Atari exec, "No problem. We only have a single wrestler, so it will be more like a dance."

• Like 3

Yet another disappointment for the 7800. Title Match isn't much better, but I like the static ring vs. one that scrolls and you can choose from 4 different characters. Neither are particularly compelling enough to want to play though. Wish these games were hacked to be more fun as they're close, but no cigar. :(

• Like 1

Yet another disappointment for the 7800. Title Match isn't much better, but I like the static ring vs. one that scrolls and you can choose from 4 different characters. Neither are particularly compelling enough to want to play though.

And Title Match lets you play as the Abobos from 7800 Double Dragon. ;-)

• Like 2

Since it was WrestleMania yesterday I thought Id deep dive into this one; unfortunately its about as deep as my daughters kiddy pool. The shame is I see the framework for a great port, but it was clearly unfinished. What do yall think? Is this better or worse than the other 7800 wrestling game?

I love the arcade version; played it back in the day and still play it now.

You're spot-on with your review. It always felt unfinished to me as well, and what a disappointment it was to have just one character. I appreciate that animating sprites is a lot of work, but they could have been a bit more creative with the variety (skin tones, hair colour, etc).

I have this game actually CIB, and I must have played it twice in my years of owning it.

• Like 1

I've played it once more this week so far, and it just feels like a demo or a prototype. I would have been heartbroken as a kid if I had spent my allowance on this. As an adult I can appreciate the kitsch factor, but not a game I'd use to show my friends the cool factor of owning a 7800.

Just realized Mat Mania was released in 1990... my brother and I had already owned and played Pro Wrestling for the NES and SMS (among others I'm sure, but these stand out) by the very late time this game came out and we loved them! Well, NES Pro Wrestling for me anyway. lol

Yes, I'd have been pissed to have wasted my hard earned money on either 7800 wrestling game, but by 1990, I sure as hell hope I'd have known better - even if I had been aware of its existence. ;)

• Like 1