IGNORED

Lynx I McWill Battery Question

Izen

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my Lynx I with a McWill LCD. Everything works great, but today I was playing and then the music from the game stopped, and the screen got fuzzy. The batteries got hot, so I immediately removed them. I tried a different set of batteries and everything seems fine. I checked the voltage when I did the upgrade and my Lynx was at 5.01v, so I did not replace the MOSFET. Could this be why the batteries got hot (aside from use)?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my Lynx I with a McWill LCD. Everything works great, but today I was playing and then the music from the game stopped, and the screen got fuzzy. The batteries got hot, so I immediately removed them. I tried a different set of batteries and everything seems fine. I checked the voltage when I did the upgrade and my Lynx was at 5.01v, so I did not replace the MOSFET. Could this be why the batteries got hot (aside from use)?

I would recommend to install the 5-Volt mod (RECOM DC/DC) to prevent any damages caused by a faulty zener diode. The original power circuit is a ticking time bomb. Also if the zener diode is new.

I would recommend to install the 5-Volt mod (RECOM DC/DC) to prevent any damages caused by a faulty zener diode. The original power circuit is a ticking time bomb. Also if the zener diode is new.

Hi McWill! First off, thanks so much for the work that you do. I'm loving this screen and I purchased one for my Game Gear. Might even buy a Lynx II just for another screen.

So far it's been running fine, but on batteries, after a while, they get a little warm, but I've been using my AC adapter and it seems fine. The only game that got warm for me was Dracula The Undead. I'd rather not do the 5V mod if I don't have to, so would you recommend that I also replace the zener diode to help protect it? Thanks!

Thank you ;-)
I would do the 5-Volt mod, but it's up to you. I had a working LYNX-II for testing my LCD mod kits and it was working fine. But after thousands of times switching it on and off, the zener diode got broken and my LYNX and the tested mod kit were "fried" (because the complete voltage of the power supply went through the LYNX - about 9-15V!)

• Like 1

Thank you ;-)

I would do the 5-Volt mod, but it's up to you. I had a working LYNX-II for testing my LCD mod kits and it was working fine. But after thousands of times switching it on and off, the zener diode got broken and my LYNX and the tested mod kit were "fried" (because the complete voltage of the power supply went through the LYNX - about 9-15V!)

That's crazy! I can see why you would put that in the instructions. In terms of voltage I am getting the required 5V. Are there specific instructions for doing the 5V mod to the Lynx I and are there any negatives to doing it?

Lynx I has a soldered LCD so the removing process is very different from Lynx II.

Console 5 has nice wikipedia describing where the caps, zener and MOSFET is located on a Lynx I. The parts are also slightly different for both consoles.

Edited by karri

I saw that post before, but it's for a Lynx II. I have the Lynx I, but would the components that need to be removed the same for both?

For LYNX-I also look here:

https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.php/Thread/4779-srdwa-Donking2000-Atari-Lynx-1-2-Spannungsregler-Umbau-SMD-Variante/

It's in german, but Google Translate will help you ;-)

• 10 months later...

Hi, I have a lynx 1 with Mcwill screen, vga out and the recom dc-dc 5v mod. It works great and I’m loving playing all my old games with the new screen. My only problem is when using my recently purchased Agacart sd card multi game cart I have trouble powering on( I have to push the power button at exact same time as inserting the cart, otherwise the lynx will not power up at all). Does anyone know if this could be caused by the 5v mod? If someone has a schematic of how the recom dc-dc regulator is fitted that would be most helpful.