IGNORED

Best third party that isn't Activision or Imagic

mbd30

Parker Bros?

Some great arcade ports such as Q*Bert, Frogger and Popeye. Plus the Star Wars games especially Empire Strikes Back.

I also love their cartridge design.

I always liked Parker Bros games when I was a kid, not least because of all the licenses. Problem is, like with Coleco, once you take away the arcade ports, comic book characters, and movie themes, they don't have much if any intellectual property of their own. Unlike with Activision and Imagic, you're not going to legally re-release a collection of Parker Brothers games nowadays.

I thought Sega was interesting (Buck Rogers Planet of Zoom and Star Trek Strategic Operations Simulator are among my favorites), but they have the same problem.

• Like 1

Parker Bros?

Some great arcade ports such as Q*Bert, Frogger and Popeye. Plus the Star Wars games especially Empire Strikes Back.

I also love their cartridge design.

I'd go with Parker Bros. In addition to the games you named, Gyruss and Montezuma's Revenge are also very good.

MNetwork had some great games and I think Coleco is a little underrated.

• Like 1

Telesys. Small selection, but unique and original and pretty high quality. Demolition Herby is far more playable than Amidar on the 2600 (yeah, that's a dig at Parker Bros.)

The CBS ports don't get enough love. They're all pretty solid.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo
  • Like 1

I'll put my hat in the ring for Mattel's M-Network games.

Lock 'n' Chase is a solid arcade conversion, and one of the better original 'pacman' games on the system. Bump 'n' Jump- another great conversion.

Super Challenge Football is simple but fun for two players. Tron - Deadly Disks, Astroblast, Armor Ambush, Space Attack. Heck, I even like Frogs & Flies.

I can't really say that I enjoy the somewhat fragile and harder to stack carts, though.

• Like 6

Parker Bros.

Minus 1 for Tigervision from me. The two festering stinkbombs known as Miner 2049er Vol. I and II immediately exclude them from consideration.

I love Jawbreaker, River Patrol and Polaris. Also like Marauder, Espial and Threshold, which I guess aren't for everyone.

I love Jawbreaker, River Patrol and Polaris. Also like Marauder, Espial and Threshold, which I guess aren't for everyone.

I'll admit Jawbreaker is a pretty great game. Polaris and Threshold are solid, but I think Parker Bros. still has more quality titles.

• Like 1

Fox is the one that immediately comes to mind for me. Alien, Spacemaster X7, Fast Eddie, MASH, Crash Dive, Megaforce, Fantastic Voyage, Worm War I, Turmoil...so many great titles there. CBS, M-Network, and Parker Bros. would be others.

Tigervision, ehhhhh. I like most of their games fine enough--I even like Miner 2049er in small doses--but none of them strike me as must-plays. There weren't that many in the first place and half of them are more collectible than playable IMO. Even U.S. Games released more titles that I actually want to play than Tigervision did. Which isn't to trivialize U.S. Games; I think they're actually a pretty underrated publisher.

I'm tempted to name Spectravision as a runner-up as well, but there isn't quite enough volume there for me. Nexar, Tapeworm, Cross Force, Gangster Alley, and Bumper Bash make compelling arguments, though.

• Like 4