IGNORED

Best third party that isn't Activision or Imagic

mbd30

Fox is the one that immediately comes to mind for me. Alien, Spacemaster X7, Fast Eddie, MASH, Crash Dive, Megaforce, Fantastic Voyage, Worm War I, Turmoil...so many great titles there. CBS, M-Network, and Parker Bros. would be others.

Turmoil is smooth for an Atari 2600 game. Fast action with lots of enemies on screen without any flicker or slowdown.

I appreciate it more now than I did at the time.

• Like 1

Mythicon Rules!!!!

just kidding....probably considered one of the worst if not THE worst games for atari!!

I did like a couple of XONOX titles: Artillery Duel was fun for two players, and I think Sir Lancelot was a semi playable Joust style flyer....and the double ended carts (although usually substandard games) was a novelty that made them stand out....didn't necessarily mean better sales though....

I'll put my hat in the ring for Mattel's M-Network games.

Lock 'n' Chase is a solid arcade conversion, and one of the better original 'pacman' games on the system. Bump 'n' Jump- another great conversion.

Super Challenge Football is simple but fun for two players. Tron - Deadly Disks, Astroblast, Armor Ambush, Space Attack. Heck, I even like Frogs & Flies.

I can't really say that I enjoy the somewhat fragile and harder to stack carts, though.

Agreed. The MNetwork games often stacked up well against their Intellivision brothers. Space Attack is severely underrated. Most people don't bother to read the instructions so they don't understand it.

• Like 3

I like the way you said it, but can you defend "Boing!"? It doesn't seem like all that. https://atariage.com/software_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=40

How, after 20+ years of emulators and freely available ROMs have you not played Boing? Or any 2600 game for that matter?

(Boing, by the way, is a very fun Q*Bert knockoff)

• Like 1

How, after 20+ years of emulators and freely available ROMs have you not played Boing? Or any 2600 game for that matter?

(Boing, by the way, is a very fun Q*Bert knockoff)

I've played lots and lots of 2600 games, but never Boing. Now I must seek it out. It's fun to discover old things I missed the first time around, and I appreciate the recommendation!
  • Like 1

I've played lots and lots of 2600 games, but never Boing. Now I must seek it out. It's fun to discover old things I missed the first time around, and I appreciate the recommendation!

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised by Boing! and I found it to be the rare case of a rare game that is actually fun to play. Clearly inspired by Q*Bert but with some good innovations.

• Like 2

I always liked Parker Bros games when I was a kid, not least because of all the licenses. Problem is, like with Coleco, once you take away the arcade ports, comic book characters, and movie themes, they don't have much if any intellectual property of their own. Unlike with Activision and Imagic, you're not going to legally re-release a collection of Parker Brothers games nowadays.

I thought Sega was interesting (Buck Rogers Planet of Zoom and Star Trek Strategic Operations Simulator are among my favorites), but they have the same problem.

Not really. Most of Sega's home ports were for games they owned by either outright development (Congo Bongo, Tac-Scan,) or by mergers (Tapper, Spy Hunter)

I always liked Parker Brothers, Sega, and 20th Century Fox. Surprisingly, I'm not a huge fan of imagic. They have a few games I like, but mostly, I don't go back to them, and.. sit down.. I think Demon Attack is vastly overrated.

• Like 1

I love Activision games but at times there is a little bit of "style over substance".

Parker would be my first call out. I really like some of the Parker games and my first non-Atari branded games were Tutankham and StarWars Death Star Battle. I also really liked Q*Bert and Gyruss. Bizarrely I quite like Reactor too :) I mostly had no clue what I was doing, but it was fun.

My other call out would be Coleco/CBS games. I really liked Smurf, Gorf, Wizard of Wor.

Mystique.

Custer's Revenge has pretty much guaranteed that they'll always make it into a Top-n-List of controversial games for perpetuity. Quite an accomplishment for what's really a pretty crappy game, and their other titles weren't any better.

Funny because to me, despite the initial "wow" factor of the graphics Activision games, they mostly tended to leave me cold. Megamania & Robot Tank were exceptions though.

To answer the question I will also say Parker Bros. There's no denying the strength of their 2600 lineup. Their version of Frogger is still amazing to me to this day.

Else, I'd say CBS! They didn't have a whole lot of titles but Omega Race was pretty cool with the extra control. Wizard of Wor was also good for the time, not to mention Solar Fox & Mountain King.

Aside from that I'd probably say Fox.. but I only really like Space Master X-7 from them, but the strength of that title alone elevates them. :lol:

Wait ... when did SEGA have anything to do with MIDWAY (Tapper, Spy Hunter)? I think you're mistaken.

It's weird.

Sega started out publishing their own games for the 2600, under their own name:

Tac/Scan, Buck Rogers, Star Trek, Congo Bongo, etc.

But the last few games, Spy Hunter, Up 'n' Down, and Tapper, were published in boxes labeled Bally/Midway, but they still said "Published by Sega" on the back (Up 'n Down was a Sega game, the other two were Bally/Midway).

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 2

It's weird.

Sega started out publishing their own games for the 2600, under their own name:

Tac/Scan, Buck Rogers, Star Trek, Congo Bongo, etc.

But the last few games, Spy Hunter, Up 'n' Down, and Tapper, were published in boxes labeled Bally/Midway, but they still said "Published by Sega" on the back (Up 'n Down was a Sega game, the other two were Bally/Midway).

This was a result of Bally/Midway buying out Sega's US operation (Sega Electronics) from Gremlin Industries in 1983. It's slightly convoluted, but there's a decent (if brief) history of it here.

• Like 2