IGNORED

"LiteRally" new Atari XL/XE racing game in the making

gorgh

Hello folks,
2 weeks ago I started working on a racing game for Atari computers. So far I was able to finish road algorithm, add some elements of the background, and create a simple 3d engine for perspective. I hope to finish this game by the end of May.
The main idea was to create racing game but not the casual way with display list, but instead to create 3d algorithm for the road, so I could add also elements of background.
If you are not familiar with the traditional way of drawing road it all depends on scrolling each and every line of the road, which makes it very hard to add some other elements of the background, because each and every line has different offset.
So far the game runs in 1 and 1/3 of the frame (with music) so I still have 2/3 of the frame for additional objects. PAL version will run in 25 fps whereas NTSC version will run in 20 FPS.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Looking good for such a short dev time, only thing I can say is that with the wish to create a 3D style there needs to be a transition when hills and drops are met with the guy on the bike, he remains exactly the same, maybe a sprite zoom or shrink to give some depth with some movement up or down the screen.

But with it being so early on I think its looking really good...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

Glad you liked what I said, I just see it as 75%+ of the attention will be on the main character so it means that people will look there for 'the feel' of the game. If he or she (the main character) looks like they are riding high or dropping low it just amps up the feel so much.

Obviously you as the dev know what you have in resources so what any of us say is only as good as what the poor old Atari and your genius can output..

ie I don't want to sound like a smart arse..

Its a great start and I wish you every chance of getting your dream game out of this, its looking damn fine so far and we need to support you guys 100% and if the odd word from one of us makes a difference, its all good.

Paul...

• Like 2

it looks like you already have a sort of wheelie fulll throttle power on and tilt graphic so all you would need is a nose dive.... that will give the look of going down a a hill... you can use the wheelie for both going up a steep hill or for straight full on power on a straight plane piece of road..... the nose dive for down hills or ridiculously hard short braking...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

thanks folks for your remarks. I'm not fully happy with the perspective stuff so that will have to be changed, now it's a little bit chaotic and not precise, but I'm sure I can make it better. I'll try to inform you here about any significiant progress.

btw. Music will be done by Caruso (ingame music) and I already received main theme from Makary Brauner, and I like it a lot.

• Like 8

Ha, haven't thought of that, will have to reduce the playfield then
editL ugh, sorry my mistake, I've got 39 lines left for PAL, anyway will have to reduce the playfield in NTSC version to 90 lines instead of 100

Edited by gorgh
  • Like 1

Ha, haven't thought of that, will have to reduce the playfield then

editL ugh, sorry my mistake, I've got 39 lines left for PAL, anyway will have to reduce the playfield in NTSC version to 90 lines instead of 100

That should help the framerate a bit.