IGNORED

"LiteRally" new Atari XL/XE racing game in the making

gorgh

erichenneke: I'll consider this

NISMOPC: I'll think about that

---

Ilmenit suggested me the change of colours, so I tried it and now it looks more like a game!

Just my opinion here: the color choices are fine, but I liked it better with the single color ground.

The stripes give a good sense of movement, but it doesn't look as smooth now.

Edited by MrFish

Yup the stripes aren't needed but the single back ground color could change as we travel down the road like the first screen he posted for night time, green for some part of world, dirt for another, gold/tan for farm land of wheat etc, even white for some snow, blueish water rain... etc etc...

I like color stripes for an enhanced sense of movement, But either only on the sides of the road, or road only, not both, unless it could be a different color, like gray stripes there and green on the side, and then change like The Doctor suggests.

Edited by Gunstar

I like color stripes for an enhanced sense of movement, But either only on the sides of the road, or road only, not both, unless it could be a different color, like gray stripes there and green on the side, and then change like The Doctor suggests.

I think they're DLI changes for the background; so, they'll necessarily be the entire width of the screen.

I think they're DLI changes for the background; so, they'll necessarily be the entire width of the screen.

Yes, that is exactly correct if it isn't expanded upon or changed. Maybe use some VBI's to change those colors...I know it wouldn't be straight forward with a moving roadway, but I think it could be done...or maybe some other way, like masking some areas...

Edited by Gunstar

actually the stripes are made by changing background color during interrupts, so it would be very hard to make them appear only on the sides of the road, in order to make stripes as you folks suggest it would require drawing them manually, just like in Spectrum games, but there would be no time for other objects. If the game was made in text mode it would be easier, but it would mean I would have to rewrite whole game and the framerate would be smaller I guess.

In my opinion stripes are very useful, and I think they'll stay in the game, I'll try to make them more smooth though
  • Like 1

sorry I just don't understand the stripes... we already get a feel and sense of speed from the trees/ shrubs etc and the dots moving as they do, not to mention the super fast moving opponents. I'd see what can be done with all the cycles available placing different moving objects, signs etc. and consider adding banding last as it's something only ever seen on a video game.

The matter of whether to incorporate the stripes or not - would be a personal preference.

Though it would be better with the stripes to be able to mask them out for on the road - though I'll guess that to do this would take away (slow down) the other animated objects.

While it's nice to get feedback from a variety of people/players/etc. It's always down to the person programming the game to decide exactly what to do with the project. What suggestions to take on board that are worthwhile - and to discard/ignore those which don't add to the project.

You do have to compromise on a lot of stuff because of the hardware limitations - on superior hardware (eg. the SNES) the hardware can deliver a better result - though it still needs to be competently programmed.

It's not going to be easy to deliver a project that ticks all of the boxes, most people would expect from it - and it's pretty rare when that happens.

Harvey

• Like 1

The real challenge is to use the available resources as they were given.

If you look at the zooming objects, you might see the bushes running faster than the trees.

Or to write it in different word: If the objects with 5 different zooming steps were really moving in those steps, a lot CPU would be saved. Less updates there would do better.

The "DLI-Stripes" add to the screen, no doubt.

From the example video, it seems that the stripes expand and shrink as they are getting closer, not entirely obvious how they relate with the road lines, curves, hills. Perhaps it is smoother on the real hardware, but the video makes it look more jaggy than it has to be.

erichenneke: I'll consider this

NISMOPC: I'll think about that

---

Ilmenit suggested me the change of colours, so I tried it and now it looks more like a game!

You're using the 4Players (2+2 Multicolour mode on the guy) but you still have the 4Missiles free.

If you combine them in a single/5th Player mode taking PF3 set to black (colour that you in bitmap don't use) is one more an it would be for his moto tyre(s).

:)

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 2

Why do the dots for the road disappear on the left side where the tree is, but this doesn't happen on the right side? At first, I thought it was the perspective/angle, since the road moves left and right across the screen at the bottom instead of staying dead center, but then the perspective changed to the right side but it was still the left side where the dots disappeared by the tree.

EDIT: I just realized the tree is within a rectangle that is apparently masking the dots there on the left side, but it doesn;'t do it on the right side because it's positioned differently. I'm guessing it's the same on both sides and the tree is shifted to the left within it's rectangle area and so on the left side it needs a separate image that is shifted to the right and moved off the edge of the road where it is masking the dots, but since it's shifted to the right in the rectangle box it would still be close to the road. If I'm guessing right, sorry for the layman's terms about the tree, I'm guessing it's a char mode soft sprite so it's in a box/rectangle area.

Edited by Gunstar

??? too small ?? the proportion looked fine to me vs trees and the landscape as well as road size... I thought you nailed it! it also gives it a zippy look. I am not sure what an overized bike will do for the look and feel of the game. I really thought your original posting of the game showed a very good solid belief in the work you've done and it showed. I hope you won't find yourself second guessing it all, keep going in whatever direction, only change or rework it if serious changes are needed to acomplish something, polishing can happen later, at least that's what seems to work for most folks. Of course if a break through game changing thing comes up or to mind... tossing stuff and re writing has lead to some absolute wonderful results in a number of those cases.

• Like 2

at first I thought the dots missing were a form of shadow from the light above, as it seems to come and go depending on the angle of the road, it does happen on the left side more but not nearly as much as the right since the light seem to be from the east and about 11:20am or 11:45 am.... on the sun dial and the time of year. The sun being slightly to the left of apogee and at it's higher possibly summer position in the sky.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

After looking at it more, I'm guessing the tree is centered (within it's character boundary), it's just positioned further from the road on the right side.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

at first I thought the dots missing were a form of shadow from the light above, as it seems to come and go depending on the angle of the road, it does happen on the left side more but not nearly as much as the right since the light seem to be from the east and about 11:20am or 11:45 am.... on the sun dial and the time of year. The sun being slightly to the left of apogee and at it's higher possibly summer position in the sky.

I suppose it could be intentional like you say...and not a short coming of character graphics masking it...

Edited by Gunstar