IGNORED

"LiteRally" new Atari XL/XE racing game in the making

gorgh

??? too small ?? the proportion looked fine to me vs trees and the landscape as well as road size... I thought you nailed it!

Perhaps it's going to be changed, because in an other forum I wrote something similar ;)

The proportions look good, road, driver and enemies simply fit together.

Edited by emkay

Well I prepared some crowd graphics on the sides of the road and it looks like the main sprite is a bit too small.

Yes, the trees just as every other element is drawn without masks, so sometimes it overlaps the road or other bitmaps, ill try to solve it by placing elements less randomly.

• Like 3

This looks really exciting...!

Just an idea looking at it - I wondered what it would look like if you plotted the dots on alternate lines and plot odd/even line numbers in subsequent frames - or perhaps plot 1 in 3 and cycle. I'm not quite sure whether it would turn out how I imagine it - but I'm thinking of times like about 9 seconds into the latest movie, where the road is straight, and the colour bands are moving, but the dots are static - I wonder if just some sort of jiggle on the dots would improve the illusion slightly (in a non-costly way)

Looking forward to how it turns out!

Wes

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

wesmond, thanks I'll think about that

snicklin, thanks for your idea

Since I made some gif for folks here and there I thought I'll share it with you, too

still many things are yet to be polished

Still think that you you should really add the 4Missiles as 5th Player/PF3 colour as darkest gray (02) for the tyres and not like here that seems a (04) then have the 4PLayers multicolour in 3luminances.

And an ides is you also could give players the oportunity to chooge guy/moto colours like 3yellows, 3blues,...

P.s.- Maybe the blues DLIs later when set for the sky zone (without road over it ;) and have adding some buildings, mountains,... and only around/untill a little up these scanlines.

This could be using Antic4 2:1 ratio and 2sides scrolling while up a single light blue and over white and grays different/parallax scrolling clouds.

:)

Edited by José Pereira

So...I guess three's a crowd? I was sort of expecting something more significant based on your use of the words "crowd graphics."

It looks great, don't get me wrong, but crowd? ;)

Yeah, I'm just teasing. So gorgh, did you get the new cyclist graphic from another game, like Road Rash, or did you hand draw it yourself? It reminds me of Road Rash. One of my all-time favorite racing series. I still play the old Genesis (Mega Drive) and 3DO versions, as well as some RR 3D & Jailbreak on the PS1. I've even played SMS and Game Gear versions via emulation on my Sega Dreamcast. It sucks that DC never got a version.

Edited by Gunstar

Nice game. My comments:

• The motorcycle looks that always has the same speed, no speed reduction in curves.
  • The far blue lines are too blinking, maybe could be more blue area.
  • The height, or separation between stripes looks too constant. The following image has a different effect, although a little exaggerated:

post-64419-0-72544000-1556761332.gif

• Like 6

narrow screen helps me to dismiss elements that are out of range and not to draw them (-128,128 so if X value sets sign flag then I dismiss this element), besides there are 8 bytes difference between each line in order to have the buffer for the elements so they are not drawn on the other side of screen, so changing screen to 40 bytes would mean I need 48 bytes for each line and I'm already short on free memory (the game probably will run on 128k machines)

Edited by gorgh

narrow screen helps me to dismiss elements that are out of range and not to draw them (-128,128 so if X value sets sign flag then I dismiss this element), besides there are 8 bytes difference between each line in order to have the buffer for the elements so they are not drawn on the other side of screen, so changing screen to 40 bytes would mean I need 48 bytes for each line and I'm already short on free memory (the game probably will run on 128k machines)

Thank you for the explanation. It is always interesting to hear why certain things are in place. Out of interest, what are the main memory hogs in the game? Pre drawn sprites?

• Like 1

2,5 kb- filrst level graphics elements
1 kb- hardware sprite data
2 kb- unrolled drawing procedures
10 kb- two screen memory locations
2 kb- fast multiplication look-up tables
7,5 kb- code and tables

5 kb- memory reserved for unpacked level graphics

1kb - display lists
----

which gives me 31 kb out of 62 kb which is 1/2 of free memory. And I don't have music player, 3 music pieces and title graphics yet :)

• Like 4

Something to consider?

Is maybe to have a different set of green for the playfield rolling effect - as opposed to the tree/bush foliage?

Provided this is possible to do? Don't know if this will look 'better' or not?

And to maybe change these colours further on - indicating levels passed - brown? White? For dirt/snow/etc.

I have no idea if this is worthwhile to do at all - so can only put it forward as a suggestion only.

Harvey

Something to consider?

Is maybe to have a different set of green for the playfield rolling effect - as opposed to the tree/bush foliage?

Provided this is possible to do? Don't know if this will look 'better' or not?

Guess, why I don't make any suggestion here?

2,5 kb- filrst level graphics elements

1 kb- hardware sprite data

2 kb- unrolled drawing procedures

10 kb- two screen memory locations

2 kb- fast multiplication look-up tables

7,5 kb- code and tables

5 kb- memory reserved for unpacked level graphics

1kb - display lists

----

which gives me 31 kb out of 62 kb which is 1/2 of free memory. And I don't have music player, 3 music pieces and title graphics yet :)

One way you might get more into the game is by loading the extra levels or music in from disk when required. That takes some pressure off you.

hi Snicklin,
the game is ment to be loaded from cartridge, and it all depends on type of cart. If I'll have the one with single loading procedure then there's no way to load more stuff during the game, but I'm not sure which type of cart it will be eventually.

Kiwilove: yes, I will consider it, thanks

emkay: all remarks are welcomed, but not all are doable or worth implementing

You know, here in the forums every proposal from emkay looks like an insult to some special people ;)

As soon as I make a proposal , the thread will be ripped again.

So this time, I'm waiting for what's coming up :)