IGNORED

Fairchild Channel F Model 2 - A/V upgrade ?

I made a couple of the SMD boards for myself (as shown earlier) and have them installed in a Channel F II as well as a Luxor V.E.S. - which is the same tech/appearance as a Fairchild version 1. Also modded a SABA Videoplay 2 with an experiment card built version. Bought parts for both SMD and THM versions so I could probably make one or the other for you. The proper (expensive) type of SMD potentiometer that I had planned on using for the small version was sold out though so I surface mounted the THM version on my two - doesn't look very professional.   ;-)

There was some discussion about s-video or perhaps even RGB output so I haven't spent much time on this awaiting that. Haven't had time to look into the solution that was suggested, neither money to buy parts and make prototypes - which is probably the main reason. It should be possible to pick the digital video signals from video RAM and create a perfect picture depending on the output format but in my opinion it removes a bit of the retro feel if things look too good so for that reason I'm not pursuing that option. I was a bit weary about composite mod as well since I have had nice clear image with my equipment. 

Actually finished the mod on a Luxor V.E.S earlier this week and now I realize that I hadn't taken any pictures of that for the wiki - bummer. Not that the user base is very large, perhaps it doesn't matter that much. I had problems with the copper trace tin (HAL) getting loose and shortening other traces, have never seen that happen before, had to re-tin almost 1/4 of the board and remove the CPU socket to get to the last strands. 

I discovered the sound output I had chosen on the Channel F II causes interference on the image when audio is hooked up. 
I initially chose the position of audio hookup because it was at a good signal level and I could skip the 150k audio resistor - but the output on the transistor is a better choice, interference is totally gone when doing it that (right) way. Now trying to find the original image file so I can update... the description: 
http://channelf.se/veswiki/index.php?title=Modding

I have three machines hooked up now so I don't need to swap cables or turn any switches to use them, Channel F II through composite on scart on the back, ITT Telematch via RF and the mentioned Luxor on the front AV - so it's pretty handy when testing to easily flip channels on the TV to reach three machines.

• Like 1

So, on your images showing the model 2 parts where to grab things...   Can I grab video and audio with out any type of Amp or filter (going right to A/V jacks), or should I be putting something else in line ?

Been wanting to play this system for a while but, with out a A/V jack so I can run it through my framemeister, it will look epically bad on my 4K tv...so I rather not even touch it till I can enjoy it a little...

The shown positions are for use with the amplifier on top of the page. 
Audio could in the easiest case be grabbed directly but it's better to get the amplified signal and then decrease current with a resistor and run it through an electrolyte capacitor to remove DC bias.

It's possible to use a single transistor hookup for the video amplification but... I have tried it and it wasn't very good. 
The posted schematic is highly recommended. 

Also got a 4K and Framemeister, haven't tried it out there yet - I should.   ;-)
Mine does have an RF input though but it's surely worse than going through the Framemeister. 

Edited by e5frog
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...