IGNORED

Handy emulator - the latest version and source code

Cyprian

3 hours ago, laoo said:

Wait a minute... Are you saying that ZAKU has some kind of DRM that forbids running on Handy because reading of unused register $fd97 returns Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything instead of usual $ff?

What a sofisticated way to detect the emulator...

*rotfl* What sense make a "DRM" protection in the emulator which is open sourced?!

A real protection needs to detect the emulator either because of some hidden feature in the real Lynx or runtime differences.

The hidden feature is weak, as sooner or later the emulation is close to 100%.

Runtime difference may work longer, as it is not much fun to make the emulation 100% cycle accurate (esp. w.r.t. Suzy).

Anyway: I wonder if SIMIS works with the latest version as it contains an emulator protection. ?

56 minutes ago, 42bs said:

What sense make a "DRM" protection in the emulator which is open sourced?!

I think it makes sense to avoid the spead of the dumped ROM from to people that don't understand anything of the Lynx and its emulators.

Almost all the people that have the knowledge to modify a Lynx rom or the emulator sources are here on atariage and, from what I can see in this community, aren't interested in pirating.   

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, tryal-star said:

Something seems wrong to me about the palette generation. Lynx diagnostic program colors always change every bootup in 16 or 32-bit modes. So I made this patch to stabilize everything.

https://github.com/libretro/libretro-handy/commit/5b8f98154921ca679e93a6beae7be58c2c201829

Yeah, clamping colors is a common mistake. We don't get full saturation then. Duplicating values on lower bits is correct.

My ears are burning.

On 11/19/2019 at 6:50 AM, Nop90 said:

I think it makes sense to avoid the spead of the dumped ROM from to people that don't understand anything of the Lynx and its emulators.

This was why I was asked to add the detection, yes. Considering it wasn't made public until now (a decade later), it did what was intended.

6 hours ago, laoo said:

Yeah, clamping colors is a common mistake. We don't get full saturation then. Duplicating values on lower bits is correct.

I used to use this exact problem when interviewing programmers who claimed they "knew graphics".

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Over the past few weeks, I have been working on a new version of Handy that emulates the 8bit-Hub accessory (to come out in 2020), which connects via ComLynx and adds wifi, extra joysticks, mouse, SD card...

I have released a version of 8bit-slicks that is compatible with the 8bit-Hub. It would be great if anyone had a little time to spare on testing the game and letting me know if they can successfully connect to the game servers and play.

8bit-slicks:     http://8bit-slicks.com/?page_id=2

Handy 0.99a: http://8bit-slicks.com/?wpdmpro=handy-0-99a-2020-01-05

GitHub Fork:  https://github.com/8bit-Dude/handy-fork

I plan to release 8bit-Unity v0.3 (compatible with the Lynx and 8bit-Hub) towards the end of this month, and will soon make an official announcement on release of the actual 8bit-Hub hardware.

(In case you have not heard of the 8bit-Hub yet, I am adding a link down here, please ignore the Sept. 2019 release date...)

On 1/8/2020 at 2:34 PM, bhall408 said:

Is CPU meant to be working for P2? When I start a game, I can drive the P1 car, but the P2 car just sits there.

The game starts in WARMUP mode. You need to pres Option 1 to start the race.

I will need to investigate about stereo sound... I am using the chipper and abc libraries for sound effects in 8bit-Unity.

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2020 at 11:06 AM, JohnBuell said:

Somebody broke sound in Gates of Zendocon from 0.971 to now. Doesn't seem to work in 0.98 or this 0.99 version. The laugh of Zendocon is my first test for sound compatibility.

there is no offical numbering. everybody numbers his compiled release different. would be nice if you meantion the source of your download.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Just noticed three new issues with Handy: It is way slower then a real Lynx and sprite size is not correct if vertical stretch is enabled. Last, a newly started lynx has all color registers 0xff.

I tried 0.95 (normal, debug) and 0.99a September 24,2020
Will post examples after lovebyte.party is over.

• 1 year later...

There is no real reset. option 1 plus pause is handle in software. It is only in the design guide from Atari that this combination should return a game to a certain state.

If and which state depends on the game.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2020 at 12:22 AM, 8bit-Dude said:

Hi Guys,

Over the past few weeks, I have been working on a new version of Handy that emulates the 8bit-Hub accessory (to come out in 2020), which connects via ComLynx and adds wifi, extra joysticks, mouse, SD card...

(In case you have not heard of the 8bit-Hub yet, I am adding a link down here, please ignore the Sept. 2019 release date...)

Hey @8bit_dude,
It's not clear to me how that works, would that allow us to run 2 or more handy to locally emulate a comlynx play ?

@All,

What is the current status of comlynx and emulators, any chance of a version somewhere running comlynx properly for development purpose ? I cannot find much on it.

13 hours ago, Fadest said:

You should find something interesting here. 

@Nop90 made a custom version of Handy for Comlynx :

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/291109-a-tweaked-version-of-handy-to-test-comlynx-homebrew-and-some-code-examples/

Thank you @Fadest I'll have a look. Not sure how I could have missed that post ...