IGNORED

Ultimate cartridge and alternative DOS

dimfil

I ordered an Ultimate Cartridge and it's already on the way to me. I plan to use it mostly on my 600xl fitted with Antonia board.

I am not familiar with the use of cartridges in combination with various alternative DOS versions out there! I know that some claim to be more compatible with some old titles. My question is, is there any point using such a DOS when loading titles from Ultimate Cartridge? In particular, OS A/B or MyBios which I already use from time to time for atr files and real floppies.

It depends on what you are loading. If you're playing a game that doesn't save high score or anything, then no DOS is fine. If you are loading a language cart, then you need a DOS in order to save your work.

What about xex files?

The XEX loaders on these multi-carts typically don't make any provision for the loading of an FMS (DOS); the boot loaders usually just load the binary, turn themselves off, and jump through the run address. An exception is the SIDE loader, which optionally installs a small read-only FAT DOS prior to loading an XEX file, allowing the XEX normal DOS-style access the FAT partition from which it was launched.

In most other situations, if you want access to DOS from an XEX, boot your DOS of choice and load the XEX from DOS's menu or command line.

• Like 2

Oh God! I just realised that just one letter can make a great difference!
I completely misspelled! I wanted to learn about alternative OS (that can be installed in rom slots of Antonia or U1Mb) and not alternative DOS...

So the question (maybe) can change to this: is there any point to install an alternative OS rom (in particular MyBios and OS A/B) in Antonia or U1mb rom slots to be used with Ultimate Cartridge or Side2? Will this affect compatibility for old titles, either in rom/bin/car of xex format?

Sorry my friends for the misunderstanding...

Edited by dimfil

Well, if you installed OS A it would essentially turn your machine into an Atari 400/800 and would allow you to run older titles that had trouble running on XL/XE machines without using a translator disk, so there's that. Same with any titles that would only run with XL/XE machines, but since you have an XL, it isn't all that big a deal. Honestly, I'm not aware of that many compatibility issues with cartridge titles, though I'm sure many other users on here could pipe in on the subject. I would think it would be much more helpful to be able to switch OSes to improve compatibility when using XEXes and ATR/ATXs.

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 1

It depends on what you are loading. If you're playing a game that doesn't save high score or anything, then no DOS is fine. If you are loading a language cart, then you need a DOS in order to save your work.

The XEX loaders on these multi-carts typically don't make any provision for the loading of an FMS (DOS); the boot loaders usually just load the binary, turn themselves off, and jump through the run address. An exception is the SIDE loader, which optionally installs a small read-only FAT DOS prior to loading an XEX file, allowing the XEX normal DOS-style access the FAT partition from which it was launched.

In most other situations, if you want access to DOS from an XEX, boot your DOS of choice and load the XEX from DOS's menu or command line.

Sorry my friends... I made a terrible mistake. I was talking about alternative OS roms... I rephrased my question above...

Well, if you installed OS A it would essentially turn your machine into an Atari 400/800 and would allow you to run older titles that had trouble running on XL/XE machines without using a translator disk, so there's that. Same with any titles that would only run with XL/XE machines, but since you have an XL, it isn't all that big a deal. Honestly, I'm not aware of that many compatibility issues with cartridge titles, though I'm sure many other users on here could pipe in on the subject. I would think it would be much more helpful to be able to switch OSes to improve compatibility when using XEXes and ATR/ATXs.

Thank you for your answer. So it would be safe to say that alternative OS rom does not have much to offer when talking about bi/rom/car files...

OK, me too have not faced any problems at the moment, it's just a matter of experimenting and having fun learning.

I ordered an Ultimate Cartridge and it's already on the way to me. I plan to use it mostly on my 600xl fitted with Antonia board.

I am interested to hear what your experiences are with this combo. My Ultimate Cartridge does not seem to be compatible with my 600XL/ANTONIA setup.

• Like 1

I am interested to hear what your experiences are with this combo. My Ultimate Cartridge does not seem to be compatible with my 600XL/ANTONIA setup.

I was a little bit worried about this. I couldn't find any relative info but my Side2 works just OK, so I took my chances.

Ofcourse I will report back when I receive it. If there are compatibility issues with this combo, then probably I will have to make some small rearrangements between my 600xl and 800xl...

Well. I received yesterday my Ultimate cartridge. Seller stated that it has the latest firmware loaded. I know that nevertheless this firmware is out there available for a long time so I believe you may have updated too.

My Antonia board has also the latest firmware available by Jacek, as he informed me.

All tests good. I loaded many bin, rom, car files as well as xex files. No problems. All loaded fine.

@SS what kind of incompatibility issues do you have? With certain files or in total with the Ultimate menu?