IGNORED

JVC TM-H1750C PVM or Commodore 1702 for 8 bit Computers?

donjn

renderTimingPixel.png

I was able to score a nice, 17" 750 lines JVC TM-H1750C PVM for $20 from a local electronic recycling shop. The picture is really nice, even in RCA through the BNC adapter.

Here is the info:http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/tech_desc.jsp?model_id=MDL101336&feature_id=02

Now, I have a friend close to me who is going to sell me a Commodore 1702 monitor for $40. I am beginning to wonder if I even need it now..

Keep in mind the following. I will not be hooking up NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Playstation or anything of the sort. This is strictly for 8-bit computers (Commodore 64 and my Atari 800XL).

Is the JVC overkill for what I am doing and would I be better served getting the Commodore 1702 monitor (which would look nicer in my retro setup)? Then maybe I could sell the JVC and make a profit? How much better would the JVC look through s-video on my Commodore vs using the Commodore Chroma and Luma on the 1702?

Thanks!

• Like 1

There's no way to answer that objectively until/unless you see the same video source running into both machines. Either or both might be out of adjustment in some way, or have phosphor burn-in or any number of problems which can degrade or worsen the picture. Personally I'd buy both, but I love CRTs and have several retro-systems set up at any given time. I currently have three in regular use and 3 more in storage for the future.

• Like 2

Well technically both are JVC monitors, the 1702 have stonger case work but will likely have more wear. The JVC TM-H1750C has a much better picture, these really excel at svideo and composite. (he plastic on them ismuch more brittle. The tube connects to the front plastic bezel which easily snaps when being slide around.

• Like 1