IGNORED

A/B switcher for Chroma/Luma connections?

donjn

I have a Commodore 1702 monitor and I want to use the Chroma / Luma connections in the back for both my Atari 800XL and my Commodore unit.

Instead of having to plug and unplug them each time I want to use a computer, I was wondering would something like this work, in theory?

Does it simply pass the information or is it very specific? If not, does anyone know of a way to select between two different chroma/luma connections? Thanks!

3-Input-1-Output-Audio-Video-AV-RCA-Swit

Edited by donjn

I have one of those that I used to use on the TV in the days before component and HDMI.

First up - often the build quality isn't the best so the internal switching parts can wear, oxidise, whatever, and not operate as well after a while.

But for sharing such connection should be fine. In theory you could probably also pass component video through it though that wouldn't help with audio.

I used mine for some years almost daily - from memory the TV was the usual with A/V front and back and maybe SVideo which might have been for a DVD player.

Inputs would have been VCR, TV-out from computer some distance away with the 30 foot cable run and the third was for whatever console or old computer that happened to be in use.

For a time it was OK, you're only doing analog TV quality signalling. Fairly sure it uses sliding contacts with the half-hearted copper alloy coating that eventually wears off which leaves cheap stainless steel or whatever that itself oxidizes and degrades the whole thing.

If you get one that switches electronically, youd get rid of the oxidation/contact issue though I only know solid-state switches for SCART like the Bandridge or Vivanco. I dont think it would degrade the signal if you routed one of the video signals through the unused audio channel.

longevity is the issue... so go for a good quality mechanical unit with real push button switches or go solid state. I personally use a/v solid state svideo switcher the had the benefit of using an ir sensor to auto switch to whatever remote control was being used.

I had one of those, and threw it out. Really nasty quality. Get what you pay for I suppose.

Got an Extron MPS-112, easily available on ebay for around £15-20. Perfect solution.

It has SVideo connections for the luma./chroma, so you'll need to make some cables, but the quality and build are fantastic.

Also has composite, and VGA switching.

• 2 months later...

I have used one with my system for several years and it has worked fine for me.  I have the XEP 80 connected to one of the inputs and the chroma/luma connected to the other input.  You can use one of the audio inputs as a video input as long as you match it up correctly on the monitor.