IGNORED

Anyone have Atariwriter 80 for Omniview?

ACML

Someone recently uploaded an 80 column version of Atariwriter that required 128K of RAM. It is very cool. But didn't Newell sell a modified version of Atariwriter for 80 columns if you had the Omniview OS. They offered to send you the modified version for $10. Is there a copy of this in the wild? It should work on a 64K RAM machine with Omniview OS.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

David Young's version only works with a 130XE or with a 800XL with a Newell 256K upgrade.  The upgrade has to be slightly modified by adding a switch to select between banked and main memory.  I worked on that problem for several months until I just happened to purchase a 800XL with the said memory mod.  Way too much trouble for the reward. Now I just use my 130XE.

Hmm. AtariWriter 80 for OmniView requires the extra 128K because it uses RAM in one of the extended banks for the 80 column screen buffer. (About 8K) which is too much to consume out of the base 64K.

It required the ANTIC bank switching capability introduced with the 130XE because it allowed the screen to continue displaying from extended RAM while the CPU was working in base RAM. Most 800XL/RAMBO type 256K upgrades do not support separate ANTIC access.

Does the Newell 256K upgrade incorporate ANTIC banking? If so, said switch would more likely just repurpose PIA bit 5 to ANTIC access instead of RAM, reducing accessible extended RAM to 128K (192K total). Would be neat if it brought that feature down to XL's...

Edit: The A8 FAQ knows all..  The original "Newell Industries 256KXL" did not have any ANTIC access to extended RAM. Indeed a later "256KXLE" revision of the upgrade added separate ANTIC access:

- NOTE: After the RAMBO XL gained strong marketplace acceptance, the
        Newell 256KXL was replaced with the Newell 256KXLE, see below.

- Newell 256KXLE, for 800XL/1200XL, c1991
      - NOTE: Replaced the earlier Newell 256KXL
      - True ANTIC banking

• Like 1