IGNORED

A/V Mods Wiki

mogul345

This is the discussion topic for my blog Atari 2600 A/V Mods Wiki, where I attempt to catalog, in no specific order, all the various options out there for modding your Atari 2600 for better Audio/Video output. See the first blog entry for more information.

If you know of any mods that aren't in the wiki, please let me know here. And if you find a mistake in anything in the wiki, definitely let me know here!

Thanks!

• Like 3

Nice start! Be real nice if there was a pinned repository of FAQ's newbies INSTANTLY get directed to when it comes to this stuff as well as:

"I A/V modded my Atari and now the colors blah blah blah or my LCD blah blah blah... S-Video blah blah blah, Upscaler blah blah, HDMI lag blah blah blah..."

Pinned FAQ could include an idiots guide to soldering/desoldering, overview of components, how to determine component values, what a DMM is/how to use a DMM, difference between a Philips screwdriver and a flat blade, how to use a flat blade to pry up chips and RF shield tabs, how to read a schematic, location, names and descriptions of I.C.'s, differences in motherboard revisions, etc., etc., etc. Knowledge is powa! :dunce:

Btw: ...Easily the simplest and already constructed 1 transistor, 2 resistor kit readily available (and has been for years) on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-7800-Composite-RCA-A-V-Audio-Video-Mod-Upgrade-Kit-FULLY-ASSEMBLED/311634197062?hash=item488ed87a46:g:oNQAAOSwnbZYHyux:sc:USPSFirstClass!53920!US!-1

Hi mogul345, thank you for posting my mod in your list!!!

Just one coment: my mod comes in one and two transistors versions. However two transistors version is better.

Also I posted the PCBs if someone want to fabricate it. I wanted to fabricate a lot and have them available but due to my work I couln't ship them quickly.

I have the Eagle files and would be fantastic if someone could fabricate a lot and sell them online.

Best regards,

Why is the UAV listed as composite only? I has luma and chroma outputs from it? Unless for some reason that doesn't work on the 2600? I've honestly never installed a UAV into a 2600 so it would surprise me if that didn't work as well?

Also there is another 2600 kit soon to be made available.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Everyone,

Thanks for the updates and the bug fixes, I still can't update the first post, so keeping that list up to date like I wanted to isn't happening.

I guess I'll just make another post in the thread somewhere for v2, when I get back to my laptop.

EDIT - I took the suggestion to turn this into a blog. Link to it can be found in the first post now.

Why is the UAV listed as composite only? I has luma and chroma outputs from it? Unless for some reason that doesn't work on the 2600? I've honestly never installed a UAV into a 2600 so it would surprise me if that didn't work as well?

Also there is another 2600 kit soon to be made available.

Fixed it in the new blog post on it - http://atariage.com/forums/blog/762/entry-15773-ultimate-atari-video-uav-rev-d/

Hi mogul345, thank you for posting my mod in your list!!!

Just one coment: my mod comes in one and two transistors versions. However two transistors version is better.

Also I posted the PCBs if someone want to fabricate it. I wanted to fabricate a lot and have them available but due to my work I couln't ship them quickly.

I have the Eagle files and would be fantastic if someone could fabricate a lot and sell them online.

Best regards,

By the way, the link to the mod is lacking tha "a" at the begining so is not working.

Here is the correct link: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/271678-simple-diy-composite-video-mod

Enjoy

Fixed in the new blog entry - http://atariage.com/forums/blog/762/entry-15771-simonplatas-composite-mod/

Two more corrections needed on your UAV blog entry:

It only provides composite and s-video output NO RGB

And yes, it allows you to keep the RF fully intact and functioning without affecting the results. One of the main reasons I like to use it so much is that technically if you have the RF in place, and install both composite and s-video in the console, then you can literally output the same image at the same time to three different displays from a single console for quick comparisons and also great for use at conventions when you want to show off a new game in development and want it to be displayed on multiple setups without extra video splitters needed.

• Like 1

Two more corrections needed on your UAV blog entry:

It only provides composite and s-video output NO RGB

And yes, it allows you to keep the RF fully intact and functioning without affecting the results. One of the main reasons I like to use it so much is that technically if you have the RF in place, and install both composite and s-video in the console, then you can literally output the same image at the same time to three different displays from a single console for quick comparisons and also great for use at conventions when you want to show off a new game in development and want it to be displayed on multiple setups without extra video splitters needed.

Fixed. Thanks again for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...