IGNORED

Timex/Sinclair 1000 not displaying correct key pressed.

A boxed Timex/Sinclair 1000 I recently purchased arrived today. I decided I wanted to see something like what the folks in the UK had when I was using my Atari 800.

The seller said it was untested. But it appeared to have never been used. First I tested the 9VDC power supply with an analog and digital meter. It was reading about 11 - 12VDC on the analog meter. Higher on the digital. About 14V. But they both read higher than rated on some other DC adapters I have. So I plugged it into the PC without connecting to the TV. Well, there was no sound, smoke or heat right away. So I hooked it to the LCD TV. Turned it on. First wasn't sure it was working. A lot of interference on the TV. Even in the sound. So I muted that. The K appears in the lower left. I tried typing some keys. But what I pressed did not translate to the screen. So I thought maybe keyboard. But then I pressed P, which should automatically display the PRINT keyword. It didn't print PRINT. And each time it was different variation of a 5 character word. So is this a bad keyboard or something at the board level?

Thanks,

Glenn

Try https://sinclairzxworld.com. There is still an active ZX81/TS1000 community on this planet, and that is where they hang out.

The ribbon cable from the keyboard to the motherboard dries out and cracks so even brand-new-in-box units are likely to have bad keyboards. Luckily you can buy reproduction replacements and even upgrades. For that, try https://www.sellmyretro.com

Edited by monzamess

The ZX-80/81 were actually quite popular in the UK for a while since they were the most affordable machines until more powerful computers like the Spectrum came out in 1982.
The TS-1000 sold over 1 million machines in a single year in the US, but people in the US had higher expectations.
I found a TS-1000 at a yard sale for $10 in 1983, only 1 year after they came out. No I didn't buy it.

The keyboard membranes tend to fail, but keys just stop working when that happens.
If the input is changing, that's going to require a look at what is happening on the buss when you type a key.
Sounds like noise on the buss and the voltage levels of signals are borderline.
That is totally a guess though. It could just be a bad chip. Luckily the original ZX-80 was mostly off the shelf parts, which is why there were so many clones.

The video output on the one I had was crap. There are several pages dedicated to that.

It seems like a lot of work for the machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the wrong keyword when you press a key is not a fault of the keyboard membrane normally - it could be anything from a corrupt ROM chip to a leaky cap somewhere. Asking on www.sinclairzxworld.com is probably your best bet :)