IGNORED

Any hope for future A+ titles on the Jag at this point?

marcio_napoli

Guys, first a disclaimer: what do I know? Nothing, I'm not a programmer nor part of the gaming industry.

I'm just making a dumb thread out of sheer curiosity, excited for being a new Jag owner (sort of).

Do you think there is any hope left for another A+ title on the Jag's road?

I mean, who would have imagined long after the console ended its official life, we'd eventually see amazing games like Skyhammer, Phase Zero and Another World ?

I don't mean any disrespect AT ALL for recent releases, I applaud all efforts to bring new Jag games. but I'd love to see more than 8 bit ports for the Jag. My wallet is open for anything better than 8 bit.

And it doesn't need to be anything super massive. It could be just an arcade port of Double Dragon, I know it has been available on emulators but I'd easily pay 100 bucks for such port on the Jag (one of my all time favorites).

Also Double Dragon is old as dirt, maybe it's cheap to license?

What expectations can we have for more than 8 bit ports at this time?

Is Soulstar still coming?

Are 80s or 90s arcades possible?

What say you?

• Like 1

Guys, first a disclaimer: what do I know? Nothing, I'm not a programmer nor part of the gaming industry.

I'm just making a dumb thread out of sheer curiosity, excited for being a new Jag owner (sort of).

Do you think there is any hope left for another A+ title on the Jag's road?

I mean, who would have imagined long after the console ended its official life, we'd eventually see amazing games like Skyhammer, Phase Zero and Another World ?

I don't mean any disrespect AT ALL for recent releases, I applaud all efforts to bring new Jag games. but I'd love to see more than 8 bit ports for the Jag. My wallet is open for anything better than 8 bit.

And it doesn't need to be anything super massive. It could be just an arcade port of Double Dragon, I know it has been available on emulators but I'd easily pay 100 bucks for such port on the Jag (one of my all time favorites).

Also Double Dragon is old as dirt, maybe it's cheap to license?

What expectations can we have for more than 8 bit ports at this time?

Is Soulstar still coming?

Are 80s or 90s arcades possible?

What say you?

Could you be a bit more specific on what "8 bit ports" you are referring to? If you are looking for Arcade 80s/90s ports - there are a lot of them in the ST section

Edited by agradeneu

By your definition I would probably say no. No one is going to scrounge together a group of EA programmers from the 90's and have them work full time for two years to release an "A+" title.

That being said there are some excellent ports and home brews being released, home brews so good that they could have been part of the jags regular library. So I think we should be pretty happy with the state of releases for the Jaguar right now, all things considered.

• Like 8

Who's doing 8 bit ports? I'm no one here either, but.. seems strange to call out work being done as 8 bit ports then praise Another World (one of my favorite games of all time btw) which was a "16-bit" game and request Double Dragon arcade, which to the best of my knowledge lies somewhere between 8 to 16-bit.

Any and all completed work for the Jaguar is welcomed if it's fun or at least interesting.

• Like 6

If you can get 1500 people to buy a Jaguar game at 60 bucks each, I'd do it.

You guys did fantastic with your 40 Winks Kickstarter. Well done! Just pre-ordered your two new titles as well. Glad to see you bringing some more new releases to the Jag.

Guys, this will be a long post. Please have some patience with me, I'm sure this is what we all want, to express publicly we want more A+ games for the Jag.

We're on that together, aren't we?

Also, I'm sure I'll hurt some feelings, specially hard working programmers', but I just wish the best for Jag owners.

Ok, at this point in time, no one can ask for high budget 3d games anymore. Unless there's some unfinished game out there with its code 99% complete, it can't be done at this point, I'm aware.

All I wish is something better than what we're getting, better 2d games (that at least look like 16 bit) would be a great start.

When I said 8 bit ports, sorry for the layman terms, I'm referring to Amiga and Atari ST ports we're getting.

As I said, this can hurt feelings (sorry in advance), but is it too much to ask for at least SNES-esque games?

Piko, Songbird, I'm not taking away your super hard work in any way, shape or form. I'm aware of the mountains you guys are climbing to give us these games. I'm fully aware.

But a Double Dragon arcade port (mere example) may take 100 times more work, but will sure produce 100 times more sales.

I'm 100% sure more Jag owners think like me, but for whatever reason they're not expressing their voice.

To erase all confusion so we can all speak the same language, this video is what I mean:

https://youtu.be/xP-DojtKNL0

I'm sad I don't collect SNES, because if I did, that Gourmet Warrior would be on my shopping cart today.

It does look like a Capcom A+ title from the 90s.

It has such refined gameplay and graphics that it can pass for an arcade game.

Why is the SNES getting so good stuff and the Jag getting another 8 bit-ish game?

As far as sales is concerned, that Gourmet Warrior I'd buy exactly now.

That Jag port I wouldn't.

You guys see what I mean?

High budget 3d can't be done? Super fine with that!

But at least give us some good 2d games like what SNES and Genesis are still getting.

It can be ports, sure.

But at least 16 bit ports, please.

My wallet opens up easily for anything 16 bit and upwards.

Stage_1_Boss:

Another World, whatever bits it was, is a timeless classic with commercial releases everywhere back in the day, including amazing ports for 3DO and PC. I'm sure you know why I praised that game.

Double Dragon: a favorite of mine (reason I used it as an example), a timeless classic, great graphics, great gameplay, and old enough to be a cheap license, I assume.

It's not like licensing Double Dragon and GTA are on the same level.

Now, Piko, isn't Kickstarter a good way to fund at least half of a Jag game development or port?

To end this long post, one example:

Soulstar:

Months ago I've heard it was coming for the Jag on cart.

I was so excited I'd pay 80, 90, 100 bucks, I don't care, it's a worthy addition to my collection.

But 99% of Jag's releases now, I can't get excited enough to buy.

Hope this doesn't hurt any feelings, I just wish the best for the Jag.

Maby you should just learn programming and make A plus game for us? :)

But i feel simular, i will not just buy anything that comes to the surface as in new addition for the Jag.

Even though i would sometimes want to contribute and buy the rom itself, to add to the SD cart(when that arrives)/skunkboard
It is nice that people are doing all that stuff, but for me i am still getting the originals and they are my main priority at this moment.

• Like 1

Guys, this will be a long post. Please have some patience with me, I'm sure this is what we all want, to express publicly we want more A+ games for the Jag.

We're on that together, aren't we?

Also, I'm sure I'll hurt some feelings, specially hard working programmers', but I just wish the best for Jag owners.

Ok, at this point in time, no one can ask for high budget 3d games anymore. Unless there's some unfinished game out there with its code 99% complete, it can't be done at this point, I'm aware.

All I wish is something better than what we're getting, better 2d games (that at least look like 16 bit) would be a great start.

When I said 8 bit ports, sorry for the layman terms, I'm referring to Amiga and Atari ST ports we're getting.

As I said, this can hurt feelings (sorry in advance), but is it too much to ask for at least SNES-esque games?

Piko, Songbird, I'm not taking away your super hard work in any way, shape or form. I'm aware of the mountains you guys are climbing to give us these games. I'm fully aware.

But a Double Dragon arcade port (mere example) may take 100 times more work, but will sure produce 100 times more sales.

I'm 100% sure more Jag owners think like me, but for whatever reason they're not expressing their voice.

To erase all confusion so we can all speak the same language, this video is what I mean:

https://youtu.be/xP-DojtKNL0

I'm sad I don't collect SNES, because if I did, that Gourmet Warrior would be on my shopping cart today.

It does look like a Capcom A+ title from the 90s.

It has such refined gameplay and graphics that it can pass for an arcade game.

Why is the SNES getting so good stuff and the Jag getting another 8 bit-ish game?

As far as sales is concerned, that Gourmet Warrior I'd buy exactly now.

That Jag port I wouldn't.

You guys see what I mean?

High budget 3d can't be done? Super fine with that!

But at least give us some good 2d games like what SNES and Genesis are still getting.

It can be ports, sure.

But at least 16 bit ports, please.

My wallet opens up easily for anything 16 bit and upwards.

Stage_1_Boss:

Another World, whatever bits it was, is a timeless classic with commercial releases everywhere back in the day, including amazing ports for 3DO and PC. I'm sure you know why I praised that game.

Double Dragon: a favorite of mine (reason I used it as an example), a timeless classic, great graphics, great gameplay, and old enough to be a cheap license, I assume.

It's not like licensing Double Dragon and GTA are on the same level.

Now, Piko, isn't Kickstarter a good way to fund at least half of a Jag game development or port?

To end this long post, one example:

Soulstar:

Months ago I've heard it was coming for the Jag on cart.

I was so excited I'd pay 80, 90, 100 bucks, I don't care, it's a worthy addition to my collection.

But 99% of Jag's releases now, I can't get excited enough to buy.

Hope this doesn't hurt any feelings, I just wish the best for the Jag.

I didn't mean my earlier comment in a bad way, I'd do it no kidding. We have some great IPs and we can invest to make a A+ game on Jaguar, but there a few things that need to be considered.

1.- Console is super Expensive. Unless there is a clone console release, it will be very hard to push game units sales to big budget numbers.

2.- Making a new console is super expensive. If you FPGA you are back to square one, because it will be expensive. If you go with emulator, could be possible but it is hard, and dev cost would make it expensive.

3.- Not a lot of programmer want to work on the Jaguar. I've talked to 3 that know the architecture or have done Jag releases, and 2 of them have told me they will not touch it again :(.

Basically, for a big budget game to be done any time soon the Jaguar needs to move from a obscure collecting console, to something more "mainstream" within the retro gaming scene.

Eventually we hope this can change, but we would need a large company to take interest in Jaguar scene to get a clone system done. That is the only way those "problems" could be fixed In my opinion.

Thanks everyone in this thread that has supported us on our releases for Jaguar, SNES, MD, etc =D Really appreciate it!

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 5

but we would need a large company to take interest in Jaguar scene to get a clone system done. That is the only way those "problems" could be fixed In my opinion.

That is actually MY IDEA, not yours and it is already in the works. I hope the Jag-clone is released sooner than later and the quality is as good as the reproduction pro controllers.

And that is all I will say about that.

Good day.

• Like 1

That is actually MY IDEA

Yeah. Definitely your original idea.

It's not like releasing clones of retro systems had been widely done for a decade at that point.

Or as if two people (SCPCD and Torlus) had demonstrated their own actually working clones of the Jaguar several years ago.

and it is already in the works.

Right. You may want to learn how to release a rB+ game that's not half-broken before tackling stuff that's just a little bit more complicated.

Lemme guess, your great idea is a Raspberry Pi running an emulator in a 3D printed Jaguar case, right?

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 6

That is actually MY IDEA, not yours and it is already in the works. I hope the Jag-clone is released sooner than later and the quality is as good as the reproduction pro controllers.

Good day.

Why approach like this? The idea of clone consoles is definitely not your idea, but you're defending it as if PiKo just tried to swoop in and steal your thunder by mentioning a clone Jaguar would help sell more units overall? The conflicts in this community are getting confusing.

• Like 1

Why approach like this? The idea of clone consoles is definitely not your idea, but you're defending it as if PiKo just tried to swoop in and steal your thunder by mentioning a clone Jaguar would help sell more units overall? The conflicts in this community are getting confusing.

Because it definitely IS my idea that I already announced elsewhere. Im talking about a 100% reproduction. Not a device like those Retron consoles

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

Well, at least the Atari VCS now seems 100% more realistic....

Yep.

Those green shells look really good on those TMNT carts you and Gaz are offering btw, I wonder how those green shells came into existence? Whoever would have thought of making those?

Anyway it's a good thing they did think of that because it really makes the overall package of that product shine.

:)

Good day.

Hehe no is not your idea, probably every single company that is doing retro hardware has thought about it. Even Atari themselves are looking into a Jaguar related project.

But my whole post was about whats needed to sell more Jaguar carts per title. Not announcing a new Jaguar console. We Started working on a Jag clone in 2017 and got as far as just reproducing (prototype not actual mold) the Jaguar pins, but the proto got lost in the mail and I didnt want to pay for another proto.

Anyways if you are doing it, great! That is what is needed and will benefit us, so thank you. If you do it and keep the price anywhere 80 -100 should be good for content developers. Anything over that will mosty raise sales no more than 20-30%, which is not enough to make A+ projects.

Day.

Edited by PikoInteractive
  • Like 2