IGNORED

Any hope for future A+ titles on the Jag at this point?

marcio_napoli

I have been into the homebrew scene for about a year now. I had a Jag and Jag CD back in the day but sold them along with all my other consoles about 15 years ago- something I regret still to this day. Since rebuying a Jag, I dont think Ive ever been happier as a gamer. My excitement levels when Gaz announces the new ST releases are stupid. I own a cart of Star Wars arcade on the Jag! Its one of my favourite games of all time. I own Llamatron on a cart on the Jag- likewise. In fact Im still hoping the rest of Llamasofts back catalogue gets ported on future Jeff Minter Classic carts. Rebooteroids is one of the best games Ive bought on any system in the last few years and I would certainly class that as a big release.

Also- how the hell has no one mentioned Last Strike- have you seen that trailer? That game looks absolutely incredible- it looks very SNES in style to me. Then we have the Rebooted compilation coming this year too. My only complaint about getting into homebrew is my ridiculous addicting nature as Im now also buying 7800 and 2600 homebrews as well.

If you want to play Double Dragon arcade so much, buy a Switch!

I will happily continue to buy and play the ST ports of the games I want to play. For instance, Im not buying Stunt Car Racer this time as it aint for me but I am over the moon that Turtles is getting released.

Now excuse me, Im off to try and get my head around inverted controls on Star Wars without a joystick- its something my brain hasnt mastered yet. Maybe I need the mouse adapter.

Keep those carts coming guys- the majority of us here love them.

Edited by Kal
  • Like 3

Now excuse me, Im off to try and get my head around inverted controls on Star Wars without a joystick- its something my brain hasnt mastered yet. Maybe I need the mouse adapter.

Keep those carts coming guys- the majority of us here love them.

Thanks for the nice words - '0' on the number pad inverts the Y-axis ;)

How "A+" of you!

I'm just making/porting games. I enjoy doing that.

I hope people enjoy playing them.

If people want to apply arbitrary letters or symbols to them that is up to them. All the other bit-ness, pushing the system bollocks and bullshit is meaningless.

• Like 4

Speaking of "A+" titles, anyone here ever actually pick this one up? Around $200 upon release IIRC...

I was kind of bummed when I saw that game. To me... I thought I was getting something cool like 688 Attack Sub, or Wolf Pack, or Silent Service, or maybe even Sub Battle Simulator.

The game works, no bugs... better than a couple of games that have come out recently... lol. But... I would have loved a Jaguar-version of Sub Battle Simulator.

And the splashing noise gets old fast. It almost sounds like I'm sitting in the men's bathroom in a Chinese All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Restaurant... plop... splash! plop... splash!

• Like 3

Speaking of "A+" titles, anyone here ever actually pick this one up? Around $200 upon release IIRC...

I had this on my "watch list" on ebay. My wife saw it and bought it for me. I was shcoked to say the least.

$175 is a lot to spend on a B-Day present and I didnt have the heart to tell her I was just watching it cuz I was hoping it would go down in price.

Anyhow, it is a fun little game to play with another person. It isnt gonna blow anyone away, but we have fun with it.

JUST NOT $175 FUN!!! Maybe if it was priced at $50-$70, it would be worth it, but nothing more.

We do still play it from time to time, and it is fun for a bit.

On a side note, my wife did buy me a TurboGrafx system the previous year and I was extremely happy with that gift! :)

Edited by Machine
  • Like 1

In my opinion Rebooteroids is an "A+ title". The overall quality of the game is fantastic and it's a blast to play.

Rebooteroids and Tempest 2K I put alongside each other as the two best games on the system. By some margin. They're the two games that get what an Atari console is about.

• Like 6

Rebooteroids and Tempest 2K I put alongside each other as the two best games on the system. By some margin. They're the two games that get what an Atari console is about.

I have no words. Thank you. And thank you to everyone else who has mentioned Rebooteroids in this thread.

• Like 10

I second Rebooteroids as an A+ title. For the longest time since I branched from NES to Atari collecting, I've been eyeing up Tempest 2000, Xenon 2, Rebooteroids, and Astro Storm. Those games were the big sells to me for wanting to get a Jag. If not for the retro indie titles, I'd have chocked the Jag up like the Neo Geo. Always wanted, but would never own one. I'll never own a Neo Geo, even the consolized MVS units are skyrocketing in price. The games I'll get for the Jag are likely going to be the jewels of my collection. I just ordered from plastic box protectors from Amazon to keep them in along with the rest of my retro indie games.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Back when this was relevant, I was so busy I forgot my own thread. Read the reply just now.

Quote from CyranoJ:

"Sorry, what?

Another World is a port from the existing 16-bit Atari ST code base.

Sure, the render code was entirely re-written (no simple task by any means, however, all the logic was already completed) In many ways it is no different from the ports I have done, which also have significant improvements over the original versions, that you have bundled up under "8 bit games"

Why don't you go and find 10 people and make something as good as AVENGERS: ENDGAME which is, in effect, what you think should happen with Jaguar development? You said yourself that you made your movies on your own over many years at a great cost, but then you expect a team of 10 people to come together to make a AAA game? Apply that logic to your own medium and we'll see you at The Oscars next year.

Sorry for being blunt, but this isn't the first time we've had to cover this ground.

Imagine if someone with 14 posts who admitted they didn't know what they were talking about turned up on your movie forums asking "​I watch movies! Why is this one crap? Why isn't it Citizen Cane? Is there any hope for a A+ movies from home made film makers at this point? You know, ones that don't look like someone filmed it all with butter smeared all over the lens of their camcorder?" "

Cyrano, is it just my impression or you're very sensitive to criticism? Grow a thicker skin, will ya?

Am I noticing a smart @ss reply from you or imagining things out of thin air?

To answer your question, I have a short that's currently being made since 2014.

It's been 5 years in the making, will probably take another 2 years to finish, it has consumed more than 45 grand of my own pockets (admittedly in my local weaker currency, but it has the very same impact in my pockets as it would 45 grand for you).

I've managed to gather people to work on this short, ranging from actors to people helping as they could on set, along 2 months of filming principal photography.

In 5 years at the moment of writing this, I wrote screenplay, organized filming logistics, location scouting, costume design, gathered crew, managed financial resources, directed, shot, edited, been making visual effects, post processing, etc.

After all this gigantic journey, I get a lot people that know nothing, zero, nada about filmming challenging me on YT comments, with criticism they know zero about.

Do I care? Of course I do, doing one very thing: I'll be better and better each time, and the next production will make the last one pale in comparison.

I don't find excuses, I just challenge myself to do better next time, and leave less and less room for people to find criticism.

So answering your sarcastic comment, this one here " Is there any hope for a A+ movies from home made film makers at this point?".

Of course there is, I'm doing it already, as well as quite a ton other people on the You Tube releasing impressive content made from few resources, and finding no excuses.

BTW, if these looks like bold, empty statements, here's my credentials:

At 24 yo, on national TV (on my country's prime talk show, sort of David Letterman / Conan O'Brien):

Got these how?

Doing a 40 min short film all by myself, that emulated what Hollywood was doing on blockbusters back in 2003, all done with 500 bucks and 1 GB RAM 2003 PCs and softwares, and my bedroom wall covered in blue cardboard as chroma key.

Got me on national TV.

Prime Talk Show at 24 yo, do I need to show any more credentials?

Do I need to show Magazine interviews, film festivals, etc?

So yeah, if someone criticizes my movies, be sure I won't find it bad (as long as the criticism is legit and thoughtful, and not just a bunch of envious B$).

I will take it to improve next time, just like it has been on the past 16 years.

But if you feel offended because someone is asking for better games on the Jag, if that's offensive that one has such opinion, fine, keep saying it's perfect the way it is and making it look like no one should ask for better games at all.

If that's how you approach the situation, all super cool, man.

I'm just asking for better games, didn't realize this was forbidden ground.

Edited by marcio_napoli
  • Like 1