IGNORED

Taiwanese consoles anyone?

Thomas Jentzsch

While there is lot of discussion about Taiwanese carts, I was wondering about Taiwanese consoles. And since I did not find much information at AtariAge, I started searching the web (using Google translate).

This seems to be an interesting forum, the linked post talks about quite number of Atari 2600 consoles which I have never seen before. And a similar post from another forum here.

Given these two posts, there must be much more hidden behind that language wall.

• Like 4

While there is lot of discussion about Taiwanese carts, I was wondering about Taiwanese consoles. And since I did not find much information at AtariAge, I started searching the web (using Google translate).

This seems to be an interesting forum, the linked post talks about quite number of Atari 2600 consoles which I have never seen before. And a similar post from another forum here.

Given these two posts, there must be much more hidden behind that language wall.

Great, now I have to hunt down that Famicom looking one. :grin:

A nice read.

Really interesting, especially as it gives a perspective of the enviroment people were in when making these hacks:

Even for the game manuals of electric toys, each game introduction has a strong taste of the publications during the martial law period, such as "the courageous compatriots, who are eager to join the family and defend the people, and dedicate themselves to the ranks of the country!" The game is really just a copy of the Missile Command on the ATARI 2600.

The article points out that:

The small icon in the lower left corner of the front of the package has a familiar, but can not be said to have a Disney cartoon with the game. Now if someone dares to do this, should they be overwhelmed by a lawyer sent by the United States?

post-7074-0-11612500-1555186363_thumb.jpg

Fair to say they were worried of their own government and lived in a controlled and restricted society. We see so much pirating of images and games from them, and I always thought it was because they weren't worried about foriegn governments or just didn't care.

That thought may still be true, but today I have a more pleasent thought about their attitude. Perhaps at some of level their pirating was driven by a means of takining in Western Culture where that they could. Maybe their government would not take notice of banned material as long as it was not directly referenced, and its appearance was smothered in patriotic rhetoric for their government.