IGNORED

Space Venture

TIX

Thanks guys,

had a great deal of help by artrag ! he did wonders with the tiles, trying to fit in everything I throw at him..

More info and version 3 are coming ;)

Edited by TIX
  • Like 2

What have been done till now:

• completely redesigned hero and enemy sprites
  • completely redesigned tile set, including fonts, treasures (access cards) and walls :P
  • artrag expanded the size of the ROM and converted the tiles to screen 2 mode, this means multicolored tiles (see scr1), also added some missing tile pieces.
  • he also created a script that makes hacking in and moving sprites around a breeze !!

what remains to be done:

• I really need to decide which monsters stays and which goes (I have made more than enough )
  • change all the remaining texts
  • artrag tries to fix a problem with the laser walls (first level), so that we can edit them too !
  • little bits and pieces here and there..
  • I want to release two versions, 1 with the new multicolored tiles and 1 with original monochrome ones !

post-65-0-02549600-1556873364.jpg

Edited by TIX
  • Like 1

Hey guys ! :-D

Are you ready to help lowly service robot "Robbie" decontaminate the alien infestation on motheship Venture ?

He can do that by collecting the access cards and lock the various halls on each deck.

Robbie can defend himself using his welding laser to shoot the alien creepy crawlies.... but take to long and the Xenomorph Queen will come after him :skull:

Enjoy.

Space_Venture_v3_(color).rom

Space_Venture_v3_(mono).rom

post-65-0-16574400-1557175586.jpg

• Like 6

Very nice hack. On the initial map screen, can you make the "dot" actually "robbie". I never did like just a dot.

I don't think it's editable, at least I didn't find it anywhere..

But I am with you there.. I initially started the hack because I never liked the smiley face as a hero, it's just lazy !

The "dot" is at 2ADDh in the rom. We can safely replace it if you send me the picture you want to see there.

Now the dot is composed by the following data

db 00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,01h,01h,01h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h
db 00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,C0h,C0h,C0h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h

Edited by artrag

I don't think it's editable, at least I didn't find it anywhere..

But I am with you there.. I initially started the hack because I never liked the smiley face as a hero, it's just lazy !

The smiley face is still better than a square in Adventure.

• Like 1

The "dot" is at 2ADDh in the rom. We can safely replace it if you send me the picture you want to see there.

Now the dot is composed by the following data

db 00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,01h,01h,01h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h
db 00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,C0h,C0h,C0h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h,00h

Great :P let me work on this..

The smiley face is still better than a square in Adventure.

I will gladly change that if someone helped me located it... (I always pictured the hero as a chubby knight)

I still remember my disappointment when I first saw it.. but then eventually grew to love the game :-D

Edited by TIX

Your sprites are great, and I like "Space Venture" just fine as a name. Maybe "Venture 2019" since we are living in the future.

Do you have plans to change out the music, too? It would be neat to have little snippets of well known themes. The eyeball guy belongs in the room with moving walls, like the garbage masher in Star Wars.

What form will the treasures take? Maybe "data tapes" and laser swords?

love the Venture 2019, if you forget that is the actual year it sounds futuristic. What about "blinded me with science" composed by newcoleco (Daniel).

love the Venture 2019, if you forget that is the actual year it sounds futuristic. What about "blinded me with science" composed by newcoleco (Daniel).

How about "space adventure"?

Hey guys,

As far as I'm concerned this hack is complete !

The name Space Venture and the name of the robot (Robbie) are already fixed.

Apart from the sound (over my abilities) and maybe multi-color sprites (just dreaming),

I can't think of anything more I can do.. so consider version 3.1 the final one.

Of course any suggestions are welcomed ;)

Thanks for the support.

• Like 1

This is a very nice hack and thanks for doing it. I'm not sure where you came up with the name Robbie for the robot's name but one of my favorite movies is the sy-fy classic from the 50's Forbidden Planet where the robot's name is Robbie. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

I thoroughly enjoyed playing that! What a fun graphical hack and I loved that almost every bit of artwork in the game was changed. I didn't even mind that the music wasn't changed. I would love to see you revisit this again in the future and if you did, consider making some different shapes for the rooms? I believe there were some nice hacks for the Atari 2600 version of Venture that re-shaped the rooms and that was a nice touch since it made the overall gameplay feel new. Thanks for all the hard work on this! Really nice addition to the homebrew rom collection!

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.57.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.57.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 9.56.56 PM.png

• Like 1

This is a very nice hack and thanks for doing it. I'm not sure where you came up with the name Robbie for the robot's name but one of my favorite movies is the sy-fy classic from the 50's Forbidden Planet where the robot's name is Robbie. Highly recommended.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing that! What a fun graphical hack and I loved that almost every bit of artwork in the game was changed. I didn't even mind that the music wasn't changed. I would love to see you revisit this again in the future and if you did, consider making some different shapes for the rooms? I believe there were some nice hacks for the Atari 2600 version of Venture that re-shaped the rooms and that was a nice touch since it made the overall gameplay feel new. Thanks for all the hard work on this! Really nice addition to the homebrew rom collection!

Thanks a lot guys !

I enjoyed every minute of it ! Of course artrag was a great help !

Now that we have double the rom size, I have to ask him if it is possible to have different halls per deck..

Also chuckH good call, we have a life-size Robbie in the entrance of the company I work :lolblue: :lolblue:

post-65-0-57360100-1558340662.jpg

Edited by TIX