IGNORED

PLATOTERM 1.2 test release with FAST-IO!

tschak909

attachicon.gifDSCN1089.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN1091.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN1090.JPG

This is my rendition with a esp8622 I did about a year ago. 19200 is pretty snappy on a 8bit. Both SIO ports work. The blue LED is activity. A free hand design, basically just an R-verter and esp with level shifter. I did steal someone else firmware.

I think I will do this with my 1030 instead of trying to fit and SX212 or other faster modem in it. This is the wi-fi solution, correct?

Do you have schematics to share so I don't have to start from scratch? I like how you kept part of the 1030 board for the SIO/Power and the front PSU swtich and LED's. That was what I was planning on doing when I was going to make it into and SIO2PC & SIO2SD solution, but chose installing my SIO2PC in my 1050 and have an SDrive Max instead now too, so now I want to keep it a "modem."

Edited by Gunstar

I think I will do this with my 1030 instead of trying to fit and SX212 or other faster modem in it. This is the wi-fi solution, correct?

Do you have schematics to share so I don't have to start from scratch? I like how you kept part of the 1030 board for the SIO/Power and the front PSU swtich and LED's. That was what I was planning on doing when I was going to make it into and SIO2PC & SIO2SD solution, but chose installing my SIO2PC in my 1050 and have an SDrive Max instead now too, so now I want to keep it a "modem."

Check this thread. Post #165 some pictures of 1030 modem used along with the esp8266... post #209 there is schematic. Post #273 shows a way to turn on the Carrier Detect LED of the 1030 modem when connected to a BBS (this is obviously optional, just something to recreate better the full experience).

Post #286 another take on the circuit (same circuit, we called it half Rverter since it does not have the max232 level shifter and other signals as the original rverter has).

In post #374 Dropcheck posted a nice PDF with initial instructions.and post #397 another one with the actual connection to the Atari.

I also highly recommend the mr-atari site where he covers same topic and provides a great utility to decrease the default baud rate of the esp8266 to something that Atari terminal programs can manage.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262518-sio-wifi-modem-with-esp8266/page-7

http://www.mr-atari.com/Mr.Atari/SIO2WiFi/

Edited by manterola
  • Like 1

Its basically an R-verter minus the Max 232, I used a sparkfun style level shifter to get to 3.3 volts. FD access raises havoc with the ESP and vise versa, due to the R-verter handler. I use a myide ][ cart, so it doesn't effect me at all. Thom's new rom works great with it.

One of the next evolutions of the ROMable code will be to shove all the touch drivers in the ROM and be able to bank switch them in.

I have no idea how to do this, yet.

-Thom

Why not first go the path you know?

Look for a "config" file on drive 1.

If the file is present, process it as directed.

On any error, use the default conditions.

So without a pointer-driver.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently at version 1.2.3 FAST-IO!
with modified Xon/Xoff parameters.

Running my ESP8266 @ 4800 baud. -Oh yeah-

Almost running fine.
The server IRATA.ONLINE needs a bit tweaking on Xon-handling and we are off to the next level.

Edited by mr-atari
  • Like 2

are you using the raw tcp/ip connection or a telnet tunnel to make the connection? I've experienced less issues of all kinds when using a raw connect with bbs's that support it. None of that nastiness associated with telnet acting on certain characters or data in the stream... especially when uploading and downloading.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Currently at version 1.2.3 FAST-IO!

with modified Xon/Xoff parameters.

Running my ESP8266 @ 4800 baud. -Oh yeah-

Almost running fine.

The server IRATA.ONLINE needs a bit tweaking on Xon-handling and we are off to the next level.

Couldn't find it in your website... I want to try the 4800 blazing speed tonite! i am sure i'll be amazing

BTW 4800 seems to be a sweet spot for dealing with the widest variety of internet conditions when reaching about the globe. Never have an upload download issue at 4800 but some of the laggy high ping connections don't seem to like 192000 or faster for our old u/l d/l protocols...

• 2 months later...

I have a problem with the fast io version both 1.2 and 1.2.1 of Plato (rom cartridge version) .

I can send commands to the esp8266, and get connected. However, once I got connected to irata online and asked for credentials nothing happens. I type and I get not echo and Return does nothing. 

I can hear the typing noise and how the high pitch noise changes as I type, but I got stuck with the login. 

I decreased the baud to 1200 and tried an older 1200 baud version of Platoterm (a disk version which uses bobverter), and everything works again. 

I reported months ago that this fastio worked wonderful for me before with the same hardware. I don't know what changed. Is somehow flow ctrl changes in the server breaking the things for me? Maybe? 

• 2 weeks later...